Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Need a good recipe for homemade Liquid Fence

carrie630
12 years ago

Hi Everyone -

Yes, yes, I know - I haven't been posting. I've been busy chasing baby rabbits around my gardens (like an idiot).

I bought (finally) Liquid Fence... now it works but I'd like to make my own.

I understand you need raw eggs, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and Wilt-pruf...

But.. does the wilt pruf have to be the concentrate - I have found an already ready to spray wilt pruf - do you think that would be okay?

Thanks

Carrie (One of the oldies from 2004)

Comments (13)

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I asusme if it works for deer it will work for rabbits--mostly the same predators.

Here's a link with several brews.

T

PS...good to hear from you again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Liquid fence recipes

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Does this stuff work for squirrels?
    Shirley!

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Actually Carrie, I think you have to start with rotten eggs...

Karen

• carrie630
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your kind replies. Typing from my bed on iPhone as I hv overdone it AGAIN. Will make concoction soon. Hey wonder if the horrible smell keeps Japanese beetles off??? That would be great!

• carrie630
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, thanks Trudi. I've missed you !!

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

The sprayer on my big jug of liquid fence broke, but I wasn't about to waste the rest-it's too expensive. Something ate a couple of my Yvonne's salvia the night before last. So yesterday I poured what was left of the big jug into a smaller spray bottle. I spilled that nasty stuff on my hands. Yuk! Did I stink!

Karen

• carrie630
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I. Know what you mean about the smell. I am typing this from my bed with iPhone as I badly hurt my lower back lifting many cement square the wrong way. Stupid me! Now I can't chase bunnies

Husband bought me a water gun. I am going to fill it with smelly stuff. Ha I'll get those darn rabbits (if I get better)

:0(. Carrie

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Carrie, rabbits taste like fried chicken! I'm laughing because my brother and I used to make rabbit boxes to catch the rabbit and Mama would fry them like chicken. Don't know how they were killed and skinned. Guess I didn't watch that part!

• moodysuezq_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

does this work on squirrels too? Pesky things have eaten many of my flowers, perennials as well as annuals. Been considering an elephant gun...hmmm.

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

Ive made lots of diffrent mixes to keep deer and bunnies away..

Ive made it pretty simple now, get yourself a few eggs pop them into your sprayer, mix it up with water and go.. It works just as well as anything else, deer will avoid it while its on. Dont bother with wiltpruf, a fine mist works ok.

My best advice for bunnies is to get a cat =).. they like to chase them around. Well some cats.. ours always do anyways, but we have the hunter type cats, that like to bring us dead mice, squirels, chipmunks, snakes, and birds or anything else they can find. So a bunny jumping around is a treat to chase.

Silverkelt

• blueheron
    12 years ago

Or you could entice a red-tailed hawk to your neighborhood..LOL! We have one here and I'm hoping he takes care of the bunnies and squirrels!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Roppel makes a good product for critters like squirrels and bunnies. Is this the first year you've had these visitors? All those beautiful flower beds that you have. I'd borrow somebody's dog or a BB Gun! I'm sure I'm going to get some flack on that last suggestion. I like the idea of some of those recipes of Trudi's. Lot cheaper than buying the stuff!

• carrie630
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pippi - thanks

No, I have rabbits every year but not on that side of the property, where my main gardens are - but of course, they DO move around, except that these bunnies were born in the main gardens - so that's why I've been more upset. They don't leave.

Read my post - "Sometimes I am sooo smart" - it's a funny story.

Thanks, again

Carrie

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer