Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countrycarolyn

Already collecting Seeds.

countrycarolyn
13 years ago

I have collected muscari grape hyancith and I checked and my dianthus barbatus cherry parfait is ready to be collected. What is everyone collecting?

(I saw this post last year and I loved it so sorry to the creator of it I stole your idea, lol)

Ps. token I was looking at my salvia that I thought was blue queen well it is blue beard but also a perennial, I started it last year from seed and it bloomed last year also.

Comments (17)

• leisa_in_md
    13 years ago

My columbine will be setting seed soon! I don't know if I will collect any though, unless anyone wants some?

How do you find the dianthus seed? Mine are still blooming and this is the first time I've grown them.

Leisa

• bev2009
    13 years ago

I will be looking for yellow columbine seed. I don't know if you have that color, Leisa. I just checked my Jacob's Ladder, but the seeds are still green and attached. That and purple columbine and orange columbine are the only things that are anywhere near ready for me. Hmmm...I wonder if my wood hyacinth has any seeds I could collect. I notice the foliage dying back. Back to the garden in the rain to check....

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

Leisa, I hope to collect dianthus, too. We should post on the seed saving forum.

• token28001
    13 years ago

I collected and spread Sweet William and Columbine seed today. Still waiting on the Dame's Rocket. I scattered several hundred seeds all over the yard in nearly every bed that would be ideal for these plants in terms of shade and drainage. I need to spread the love around for more late spring blooms. The daffodils need something to hide in. Spreading seeds now is what nature does. I'm planning to sow just a few containers this summer from collected seeds to try and get a head start on next year.

When it comes to collecting Sweet William, I just use a deep plastic bowl and shake the seed heads into it. I was amazed at the number of seeds from just a few flower heads. The Columbine is easy too, just snap off the seed pod and gently crush it into the bowl.

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

So far ive collected a decent amount of Caltha (marsh marigold) seeds, and im keeping an eye on all the columbines and Uvularia for their seeds to ripen. I have a much better idea this year of what im doing, and am collecting a lot more for trades- I dont have room for a lot of these kinds of things, but i know someone out there will really appreciate them!

• ruthz
    13 years ago

I've collected columbine, larkspur, nicotinia, petunia and salvia. I haven't checked them but may have cosmos and penstemon ready. I have dried flower heads on my yarrow but don't collect them.

• northforker
    13 years ago

I am watching both columbine and perennial Alyssum (gold)and also veronica. But they all just stopped blooming so I have a little bit of a wait.

• karendee
    13 years ago

I collected silene (now thanks to WS ers I know what it is)

next columbine! My ws plants from last year bloomed well!

I did not ws any colubine this season but I will next year. I had some nice purple and pink plants. I love them and it seems the animals are leaving them alone for now.

Karen

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I'll have to take a look around the garden for ripe seed. So far I see pods are developed on the Dicentra and Aquilegia but not ripe yet. Digitalis is almost finished blooming. And poppies just opened so those won't be far behind. I'm going to let the Digitalis drop where they are.

I found that my aquilegia had more in a blue color germinate then others, so I've deadheaded those so I won't get more and I want to encourage the pinks and white more.

I enjoy this thread because I usually forget something until I see someone else mention it. Thanks for thinking of it.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    13 years ago

Nothing yet to collect here but the Allyssum Basket of Gold is setting seed as are the Pulsatillas. I will be starting very soon. I just cleared out all the old seed stash so everything will be fresh this year. :O)

• drippy
    13 years ago

I have a few seeds from my salvia officinalis, which bloomed on my apt deck. In the yard, the Japanese maple has some seeds on it which I am eying - they don't look ready yet, but I am hoping to nab them when they are.

Around the apt complex, in the wild area there are a few wild alliums - not sure what exactly - that I'm hoping to grab seeds from.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

drippy, my Japanese Maple self seeded all around that side of the yard. I didn't have to collect or sow them. [g] I have no idea why this year when I've had the tree for almost 12 years and I don't remember ever seeing a seedling before.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

The peonies have seed pods, but they're still green, and the lilac seeds are also green, so I'm waiting on both of those.

• shemeows
    13 years ago

Not much here, other than Canadian Columbine, Pulsatilla and Grape Hyacinth. It's been raining way above average and pods aren't drying.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

I've collected one (that's right, one) seed from my bleeding heart plant. I've been watching the seed pods but apparently not watching them closely enough, LOL. I hope I will have better luck with the yellow foxglove (d. grandiflora) and penstemon "rondo" that I hope to get seeds from. I also have some tall white foxglove blooming that I think will provide seeds for me and 100 of my closest friends. The bees have been busy.

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Prariemoon I also enjoy this thread it was one of my favorites last year. Though I do not remember who created it. My eyes just got big round when I would read everything everyone was collecting.

Leisa, token had a great idea on how to collect the seeds. I still have blooms on some of my dianthus but as I am standing over it I can still see the black seeds just waiting to either drop or to be collected. Where the bloom was will just kind of open up and act as a little cup and inside will be all the tiny black seeds.

And token one day I will get that name of that salvia right it is salvia blue bedder. I plan to either get me a memory card for my phone and take a pic that way or get some batteries for my camera to take a pic.

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

My first WS bloom ever- Borage! And im already excited to gather the seeds from them. Seems that i will also get a few seeds from my solomon seal's, jack-in-the-pulpits, and trilliums. Parsley is also about to flower, so im keeping my eye on that too.

Farmers markets are starting soon too- and this year i am going to save seeds from any interesting variety's of fruits/veggies i can find!

Its only june... this totally spells trouble.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery