Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

datura seedling

v1rt
13 years ago

Finally, I have a datura seedling. However, I am only seeing a pair of true leaves. Is it behind? It's still in the 2 liter bottle which gets sun from morning until 1pm.

Thanks.

Neil

Comments (46)

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just put two triple purple ones in the ground on Tuesday (well one in the ground and one in a large planter). They were about three inches tall and had a couple of sets of true leaves. They are always (in my experience) very slow to get going. Once they decide to take off though they go fast. I always have some white ones come up in the cracks of the patio stones....very late but they always get huge and flower like crazy.

• daisydawnny
    13 years ago

Glad someone asked this...I just planted out tiny Datura seedlings and was worried they would not get going in time to bloom. I will try to be patient with them. ;)

• token28001
    13 years ago

They have been blooming in my yard for a couple weeks now. They grow fast and bloom quickly from seed. Go ahead and transplant them. They've got a deep tap root so try not to disturb them much. They will wilt in full sun after planting, but mine do fine with part sun and full sun.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tom! So a full grown datura plant will do fine in either full sun or part sun?

• token28001
    13 years ago

They do here. The ones I collected my first seed from were in the middle of a parking lot against a brick south facing wall. Mine get only about 4 hours of sun and neither seem affected. Remember, my sun is stronger than yours, so my part sun may be the same as a full day of sun for you.

• origami_master
    13 years ago

I had some datura 'la fleur lilac' self sowers about 8 inches tall with buds. I have them in full sun. They really do grow fast!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess, I should post a pic of the seedling first. I hope it's really datura :)

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I received a yellow datura seedling back in May that was 2" at most. It's growing like crazy and has had 2 blooms and 5 others that are unfurling now.

This pic was taken in mid June

{{gwi:398817}}

Here it is today

{{gwi:398818}}

Now I just need to figure out how to get the seeds. Do they get pods after flowering?

Emily

• token28001
    13 years ago

The seed pods will look like pingpong balls covered in vicious spikes. Let them split on their own, collect the seeds and dry them. Takes a while to dry out.

{{gwi:398812}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll take a pic of mine. I am not sure if it was really datura.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm confused with my labeling. LOL. My brain is telling me I wrote Agastache Sprite. But this thread that I started, I was really talking about the seedling I planted on the same area. LOL.

Anyways, what plant is this?

{{gwi:398819}}

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

It's definitely not Agastache Sprite. The leaves look similar to my Brugmansia.

{{gwi:398821}}

• jaynine
    13 years ago

It's very healthy looking datura.

• token28001
    13 years ago

Yeah. That's a datura inoxia. It should have white blooms. That's the one I grow.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tom, it's July 26 now. Our average first frost is sometimes September 15-20. Do you think I will still be able to see blooms?

Yes, it's white if I remember correctly. I got it from last year at Wisconsin. My pointing finger even got wounded by the hard sharp thorns. :( The first thing that came to my mind when I was pulling it "hey, why are you stealing me?". HEHEHE. They are very hard to pull. I'll bring nippers next time. :)

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

That is definitely a datura and from the size of it you should get some bloom before your frost

This was mine from a couple years ago - there were 87 blooms this particular night - the fragrance was breathtaking .....

Lynne

{{gwi:398823}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

should i put fert to force its growth?

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

mine never get any special treatment but I am in a completely different zone - I would go with a high middle # and go low on the nitrogen # ......

Lynne

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got it Lynne.

Quick question on its scent: do they smell like Korean Lilacs? Is the scent as strong as Korean Lilacs? I can smell Korean Lilacs from 15-20 ft away.

Thanks!

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Not sure of the scent of a Korean Lilac but yes the scent is strong - we can sit on our backporch and smell the ones in the front yard - think of gardenia, moonflower vine, honeysuckle - it just envelopes the area .....

Lynne

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a moonflower vine but no blooms yet. :D It's my first time to grow this. Hopefully it will bloom next month. I can't wait for my datura too.

{{gwi:398825}}

• Edie
    13 years ago

Looks like datura to me, too. If the leaves smell like stale peanut butter, that clinches it. I have two brug cuttings and one NOID datura this year. The leaves look similar (family resemblance), but only the datura is fuzzy and stinky.

• PVick
    13 years ago

When I grew moonflowers, they didn't bloom until Spetember - and then they went mad!

{{gwi:398827}}

They are beautiful! Hope you get some blooms soon!

PV

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope what I saw today are flower buds. They are lime green about 2" long and are pointy. :D

Let me take a picture of it now :D I'll have to use a flash since it's dark now.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here she is. Are those flower buds? By the way, after 12 days, it added 5-6 inches to the height. :)

Is their scent as strong as Korean Lilacs?

{{gwi:398829}}

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

My cousin asked me to help them renovate their new gardens. The bought their first house in the fall of last year and have no idea what they are doing, but they want it to be as carefree as possible.
    I have a concrete plan in place, but they have a very beautiful white Datura growing/taking over their front bed, and I have no idea what to do with it.
    The would like to move it to the back yard, which means it would get morning sun instead of afternoon.
    I do not know if its a perennial, or if this grew from last years pods.

They would be open to leaving it where it is, if they knew they could trim it back, so its not taking over the lawn.

Can anyone help? I've tried finding information on this bush, but I'm striking out, so that' why I'm turning to you guys.
    I need to know how much sun it needs (it blooms in the daytime in the shade of the house now, which I'm sure we will lose by giving it morning sun)
    I need to know how easy it is to transplant, if it can be moved at all.
    or I need to know if it can be tamed in any way. By trimming or caging, etc.

This is all assuming its a perennial.

help!!
    oh, and will anyone want seeds from this monster? I'm sure there will be tons by the size of it.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi folks. Here is my datura update. The one I was asking about are flowers. :D

By the way, does anyone have a datura plant that is in an area which only gets morning sun then shade all the way to evening? How did they do?

How long do their flowers last? 1 week? 2 weeks?

{{gwi:398831}}

• gardencrazy
    13 years ago

Hi Neil. I have white datura in several places. The ones in full sun have been blooming for about a month. The ones in part shade are just this week budding and about to bloom. The ones in part shade are the only ones I planted this year. The others are self seeded for the 3rd year in a row. I love these plants! The blooms only last one night. When the sun hits them they wilt and fall off. On a cloudy day they might last half of the day. I like to go outside a little before 8 pm and watch them POP open. Enjoy! They smell so good too.
    Glenna

• merrygardens
    13 years ago

Datura is annual in Zone 5.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I have them in all different settings and the ones in full sun bloom the best but I do get some blooms in full shade. Each flower last one night and mine bloom from mid July till frost getting more blooms as the plant gets bigger .....

Lynne

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glenna, thanks for the info. Is the scent strong? Based from my picture above taken yesterday, will it open tonight?

merrygardens, yup, they are annual. :)

Lynne, so glad to see what you just shared. Blooms from mid July until frost. :D

Thanks!

• gardencrazy
    13 years ago

Neil after you get several blooms opened at the same time you can get a whiff of them from several feet away. I think they smell like a sugar. I am not sure if that is what everyone thinks they smell like but I think it is sweet and sugary. mmm. I am pretty sure those 2 buds will open tonight. Don't miss the show! I watched 6 of them pop open last night starting about 7:45 pm. They are such a bright pure white that they practically glow in the dark. Just beautiful!
    If you let the big thorney seed pods burst open on the plant you will probably get several sprouts there next year. I do in zone 6 anyway. I also have one clear across the yard from where any have been. LOL
    I have a tripple yellow and a black currant for the first time this year and a Brug that all have buds finally. I am so excited. They should all burst into bloom in the next few days./
    Can you tell that I love these plants. I don't usually do much annual planting but I was hooked on these from the first time I tried them:)
    Glenna

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Neil,

Did you get any pictures of the blooms once they unfurled? Have you gotten any more buds?

I looked at mine this morning and it has twelve new buds. Four of the previous seven have huge seed pods now. I can't wait to be able to collect them so I'll have for next year.

As far as my brugs, the pink one blooming now, which I'll have to get pictures of, but the peach one hasn't done anything yet.

Emily

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Emily,

Yes I did. This morning, I have 4 opened blooms. I was in a rush so didn't have a chance to take a pic of them. Tonight, I'm expecting those flowers are gone. :(

I wish they last longer. The scent isn't also that strong. I have to put my nose around 3 inch close to the flower before I can smell it. But yeah, it smells really good. :)

• glad2garden
    13 years ago

ooooooohhh, I want to grow these!

I wonder if bats feed on them at night? That would be kinda cool.

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I wish they would last longer too! I have determined that the brug blooms last a few more days than the dats, at least mine did.

Here's a pic from this morning... it's hard to see all the buds. It actually has 14 buds, not 12 like I originally thought! :-)

{{gwi:398834}}

{{gwi:398836}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't checked mine. Been so busy with the patio project. I should start harvesting too before they fall.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hostarookie,

Sorry, I've been so busy. I seldom get to look at my datura. I took a pic the other day but I forgot to correct my settings on my camera. Hopefully, I'll get more blooms.

{{gwi:398838}}

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Pretty flower, Neil.

I grew moon vine once. It didn't bloom until September. While the scent was beautiful, for the most part flowers were open when I was asleep. I thought the vine itself was pretty ugly. Not something I'm likely to grow again.

I don't grow 4 o'clocks any more for the same reason- I want to enjoy my flowers when I'm awake.

Karen

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's true. I've been so lucky though with 4 o'clocks. I sometimes get open blooms in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon.

4 o'clocks
    {{gwi:398840}}Moon flower

RE: datura seedling

And the bees go absolutely bonkers when they open, well, even as they open, they seem to push their way into the half open bud. This has been my second year growing them and I am in love!
    {{gwi:398842}}From Summer 2010

{{gwi:398844}}From Summer 2010

Nice shot. Hopefully, I'll get a better shot next time. My day job is stealing my garden hours. LOL. :D When I get home, it's already dark. Hopefully I'll see some blooms this weekend but there's a forecast of rain. We'll see.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm bumping this thread up because I have some white seeds that I'm looking to get rid of and I figured I'd ask here first.
    Someone emailed me asking for them, a while back, and now they are ready to go and I can't find the email.

Is anyone interested?

White seeds? What plant is it? Datura seed is color brown.

lol... I should be more specific.. the flowers are white.

Beautiful Datura pictures! They are annuals for me. But the seeds go everywhere. They were about to takeover my garden. I went walking around the neighborhood giving away plants.

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

• shemeows
    13 years ago

And the bees go absolutely bonkers when they open, well, even as they open, they seem to push their way into the half open bud. This has been my second year growing them and I am in love!
    {{gwi:398842}}From Summer 2010

{{gwi:398844}}From Summer 2010

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice shot. Hopefully, I'll get a better shot next time. My day job is stealing my garden hours. LOL. :D When I get home, it's already dark. Hopefully I'll see some blooms this weekend but there's a forecast of rain. We'll see.

Thanks for sharing!

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

I'm bumping this thread up because I have some white seeds that I'm looking to get rid of and I figured I'd ask here first.
    Someone emailed me asking for them, a while back, and now they are ready to go and I can't find the email.

Is anyone interested?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

White seeds? What plant is it? Datura seed is color brown.

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

lol... I should be more specific.. the flowers are white.

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Beautiful Datura pictures! They are annuals for me. But the seeds go everywhere. They were about to takeover my garden. I went walking around the neighborhood giving away plants.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals