Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvick_gw

Can you say 'petunias'?

PVick
12 years ago

Browsing about today, I found this in the Annuals forum, remembered from bygone years:

Petunia Heaven!

Now if my own seedlings would get big enough to plant out!

PV

Comments (16)

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

Wow! Beautiful! I sowed 2 packs of seeds and NO Germination! $2.99 for 30 seeds. Had to buy petunias. I love them. After seeing those pics I will keep trying.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful petunias. I wish I could grow them better. Mine always get scraggly and sickly by August and want to rip them out. I did have some seedlings pop up in the hanging basket I used to grow a few from last year and never dumped the soil. I'm thinking of removing those and filling the basket with fresh soil and replant them, and see how they do.

Karen

• paulan70
    12 years ago

I love petunias and I am always looking for more colors or types that I do not already have.

Paula

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures!! I didn't have much luck with growing petunias this year. I blame it on the wind!! I had germination, but a huge gust of wind blew my container to the middle of the yard. I couldn't find one seedling.

Last year I did grow some perennial petunias. They haven't bloomed yet this year and last year they didn't bloom as heavy as the annual but I am still excited to see what they do this year. They are a soft purple with shades of white.

• tempusflits
    12 years ago

My WS petunias finally sprouted sometime in late May. I had given up on them and had bought plants. Today, the winter sown one put out its first bloom. It's beautiful and well worth the wait. My purchased petunias aren't nearly as pretty as this is. I will WS petunias again. I'll just be a wee bit more patient the next time around.

Loved that link with the picture. THAT is petunia heaven.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

In mid summer when my petunias look tired, I just cut them back hard. The come back fast, within a week or two, and look good again.

Karen

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Those Petunias are pretty! I WS' but they did not germinate. Very Pretty!

• terrene
    12 years ago

Wow, that is a lot of Petunias, but very pretty! Tempusflits, your WS petunias sprouted in late May and put out a bloom already??

I WS Petunias for the first time this year. Got the seeds at Swallowtail. Sowed 4 containers March 12, all sprouted April 11. Got good germination, but man, those seeds are tiny! Very difficult to handle. How do you guys sow these things?

Anyway, I've made 2 hanging baskets, which is also a first. The WS Petunias are still small (couple inches), have not bloomed yet, but I confess to buying some pink cascade Petunias at the nursery that were bigger, and mixed them.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

terrene, lots of companies sell pelleted petunia seeds. Much easier to handle and space.

Karen

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I love petunias, this year they're the underplanting in my tomato garden, only two colors--a pretty double red and a double magenta with varying amounts of white. I agree that they need a good haircut in the middle of the season, keeps them from getting way too scraggly.

• tempusflits
    12 years ago

terrene, yes, they're small, but there is one bloom on one plant. I bought my seeds from Swallowtail, too. The flower is a very pretty light pink with darker "veining."

So your seeds sprouted in April? I'm stunned. I had, in fact, given up on another tub of them. I used that dirt to start some vegetable seeds. I'm just glad I didn't do that with the other tub. I don't know if this is a fast bloom time. I've never grown petunias from seeds before, but I will do it again. And thank you everyone for the tip about giving them a haircut mid summer. I like having petunias. I'd like to keep them going strong until fall.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Tempus, we might have bought the same seeds, I got the light pink with darker veining too - called "Daddy Peppermint"! I also got 'Aladdin White'. I love Pink and white. Going to buy more Petunia seed next year too.

Yes according to my records all 4 containers sprouted on April 11th. They were hardy little buggers. Yours are growing faster though, no buds on mine!

I don't know if this will work, but the Petunias I bought at the nursery were a bit leggy, so I pinched them back and stuck the cuttings right into the wet potting mix in the containers, and am hoping they will root!

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

I wintersowed Prism Sunshine, which I do every year, and also two reds, Pirouette and Picobella. All germinated fine, but the reds were slower. The ones that were planted in containers are putting on a lot of growth, but no blooms. The ones in the ground are still tiny, but now have buds on them.

The sprouts are tiny, so I always plant them HOS style. No way would I try to separate them!

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I WSed tidal waves, with a few pelleted seeds left from last year. Of the 7 seeds, I had 6 sprouts. One disappeared in the jug, leaving me with 5. One has put out a flower, the others are growing nicely and should bloom soon. Tidal waves are awesome.

The seeds were pelleted. They seem expensive when buying, but there's no waste, and well worth it to me.

Karen

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Pvick,

Totally off topic but I was thinking of you yesterday when I was pulling about a hundred 4 or 5 inch var. kmotgg volunteers.. I potted them all up because I feel bad throwing them out knowing you want them.

I wanted to ask if you would like to send for a few or a hundred before I offer them locally.

I ws a few types of petunias also and they are still tiny!

Lisa

• PVick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH, Lisa! You've got mail!

PV

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer