Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tosser_gw

Beware Trudi and Her Seeds...

tosser
16 years ago

I first learned of WS late last year in a newspaper article. There was a link to Trudi's WS site and of course I clicked on it and saw the "Free Seeds" and was very excited by it all and of course begged for the seeds and of course she sent them and one was a packet of five Chadwick Cherry Tomato seeds and, since I'd never heard of those before, well, of course I sowed all five and of course all five sprouted and then, of course, I planted them all.

If I lived in a normal place with normal, predictable summer weather that might've been the end of the story but I don't - I live in the Mississippi Valley, and for three months of the year the weather can be rainforest-like. For instance: Thursday night I measured 5 1/4" of rain, and Friday night brought another 2 3/4" (used 2 rain gauges and averaged them).

I swear that the corn's grown a foot since last week, but that's nothing compared to those wildly-out-of-control Chadwick Cherries! Seemingly overnight they've morphed from pleasant, perfectly-polite plants into ravenous, vining monsters that've begun creeping, crawling, and climbing off their stakes, determinedly lunging towards their equally-jungly corn brothers & sisters four feet away across the fence. I fear for the safety of the small animals and birds that may get too close to them - these maniacs have gone crackers!

It looks as if these leviathans currently have about 73,417 blossoms (this is just what I can see from the kitchen window, since I'm kind of scared to actually go out there). What does a person do with that many cherry tomatoes?

To make matters even worse, the forecast is calling for temps in the 90s this week with high dewpoints. Steamy. Tropical. The tomatoes & corn will love it. *gulp* I've read that Chadwicks grow about 6' high, and I guess this is true. It'd be more accurate, however, to state that sure, they grow to 6', right before they hit 7', 8', 9', etc!

All the seeds I got from Trudi & wintersowed are flourishing, but, even though I've had tomatoes "get away" from me before, never - never - have I seen such scary-fast growth! They're out there right now, you know, probably grumbling about my doddering attempt at tying them up yesterday. I hope they aren't too mad...

Comments (12)

• PVick
    16 years ago

ROFL! I've heard about those monster cherry tomatoes before, but after trying a similar monster-type grape tomato a few years ago, I am afraid to try them. Those things took over my terrace and were threatening the next-door neighbor! But they sure were yummmmmmmy!

Happy tomato eating, and cooking, and freezing, and ....

LOL!

PV

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Oh, that is funny. Sweet 100's will do that too! They grow HUGE.

But you know what the best part is?
    Chadwick Cherry are about the most SCRUMPTIOUS cherry tomato you can eat! Oh, my they are delish. And you will have endless amounts of them.

I'd jealous. I didn't plant any this year. I was too busy trying a whole bunch of other new tomatoes.

GGG

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

Oh cool! Trudi's Atomic Tomatoes strike again. MWAHAHAHAHA!

I think you read about WS in The Radish. After that article appeared I was invited out to IA and was on the Quad Citites Today Show. It was fun and everyone was so nice,

I WSed Chadwick Cherry a couple of summers back, I put in three plants and well, you've got 5IVE! Do you own a machete or hedge clippers? Keep them nearby ;-)

I gotta agree with GGG, Chadwick Cherry is very, VERY tasty. Like any cherry they do make a life-time supply of fruits. These are very juicy and yum, you can saute a few dozen in olive oil with minced onions and garlic, and then add some fresh herbs anda splash of balsamic vinegar before putting them on the table with dinner. Slurp. Or you can, of course, eat them raw out in the garden. My dog Liz also loves these and would do tricks for them ;-) They're that good.

Congrats on the toms, thank you for the excellent feedback on the germination and transplant success!

• flowerchild5
    16 years ago

i'm thinkin I would love some of those seeds. i love monstrous plants. the bigger the better!! if you have any to spare later i would love some. a trade or something.
    enjoy them!

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

I'm sorry flowerchild, I don't have those anymore; it's a shame because I would love to share them with you. I do have other cherries, if you're interested let me know.

T

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

Tosser: That is so funny!! I was laughing my head off and waking the whole household up. You do have a talent for writing - it was so expressive, I could almost feel your growing exasperation. I think I must try them - I don't have a lot of sunny garden space and it seems one plant does the trick.

• tosser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, Trudi - I read about you & your Atomic Tomatoes in The Radish! And I do have a very large pair of loppers that I think I'll put close by the front porch door (just in case the Chadwicks turn towards the house).

If anyone wants some seeds later on I imagine I'll definitely have some to spare - just let me know how big of a box you'd like. *desperate twittering*

I have to confess that the only actual recipe I've ever used for cherry tomatoes is pretty much what you said, Trudi; sauteed with olive oil, garlic, onions, and basil (I've got to try that splash of balsamic - love that stuff). I'm not really sure what else to with them, but I reckon I'd better be researching it in the near future. I need to drag out my preserving cookbooks. Any ideas welcome!

This morning I see that one wily tendril (that I swear was not there yesterday) has apparently decided against getting cozy with the corn and seems to be waving hello at a cucumber teepee. I can't even think about what a tangly nightmare that'd be, so I guess I'll have to go Out There. *shudder*

• mo_girl
    16 years ago

I have one Chadwick Cherry plant from the seeds Trudi sent me. It is actually quite well behaved for me at this point compared to some others I have. I am training it up a trellis, and have been pruning extensively though,just because of its location in the raised garden bed, so hopefully there's space for other plants. I may live to regret putting it there, but so far so good.

Here it is, there's some fruit down toward the bottom, but it may be difficult to see with the size scaled dow.

{{gwi:399380}}

It's my zucchini that I'm afraid is going to take over the yard, and I can't blame that on Trudi, lol. That's all me. (Vining Zucchini pictured left, Chadwick Cherry right.)

{{gwi:399382}}

I'm glad to hear these cherry toms taste good. I have been eating a few ripe Super Sweet 100's, but am really interested in tasting some heirlooms.

• tosser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mo_girl, is that rampicante? When I learned it was rumoured to be impervious to vine borers I tried to get some but every place I tried was sold out! Next year, for sure.

Your Mr. Chadwick looks a lot like mine did last week, although yours is much better groomed. In retrospect, I think pruning is an awfully good idea!

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

Lovely toms and squash! This weekend a sowed a few seeds of the climbing zucchini, I hope they'll be yum!

T

• mo_girl
    16 years ago

Tosser - It is zucchetta rampicante. I believe I got my seeds my Pinetree Garden seeds. I've also noticed them in the Bakers Creek Heirloom seeds catalog. I'm planning on trying seed saving for the first time this year, so maybe I'll have some to trade. I've been doing research, and made sure I just got one C. Moschata so I wouldn't have any problems with crossing.

The pruning on the Chadwick Cherry was actually kind of an experiment on my part. I've never pruned tomatoes before, and thought I'd give it a try, and the plant seems very resilient. (This is just my second year growing tomatoes, so I have a lot to learn.)

Trudi - Thanks :) We had our first baby zucchini for dinner the other day, and it was quite good. The texture is different than a traditional zucchini. Thanks for all the great tom seeds btw.

• neonposey
    16 years ago

Too Funny!

Definately save some seeds. That sounds like one tomato I'd like to have a go at. Trudi and Bakemom both have the hardiest seeds I've ever seen.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES