Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

I'm Planning Already!

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

After seeing the success of my first year of winter sowing, I'm already planning some things I want to sow this coming winter. Some of these I sowed and had a plethora of them! Here it goes! I'll mark the ones I want to try.

Salpiglossis*

Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulminaria)*

Feverfew*

Amaranthus caudatus "Love Lies Bleeding"

Butterfly Bush* (singsong voice: Oh gardenweed...)

Statice

Verbena

Milkweeds (all types!)

Love In A Mist

Scabiosa/Pincushion Flower

My WS forget-me-nots, bunny tails and marigolds are blooming! The asters are growing like mad! Does anybody know if the meadowsweet can be WS'd?

I know I'm going to plant the butterfly bush for one of the four values of winter sowing (Either Life, Mother Nature or Rememberance). Am I planning too far ahead? For now, I'm enjoying the summer but I can't help but to plan ahead since it's lots of fun!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (4)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I'm gradually planting out my WS sprouts and getting a better idea of which things need to be planted in groups for impact (agastache rupestris) as opposed to just a few plants being enough to fill in a spot (rudbeckia). The blue flax I WS this year is blooming but I can see by the delicate foliage it needs to be planted thick in order to be noticed. As I fill in my flowerbeds with WS plants, I mentally tell myself which ones I need to sow more of next time and which I don't need to sow again. You're probably in good company thinking ahead.

I'll harvest butterfly bush seeds but keep in mind they bloom late so they set seed later than others. I probably won't have seeds for you until January. I'll also have feverfew seeds to trade and probably columbine--my daughter cut all the stems from her plants and I brought them home so I can harvest the seeds when the pods turn brown. She has A LOT of columbine and they're very happy--I've probably got 50-75 stems with plump seedpods.

I haven't grown meadowsweet so I can't help you there. I grew persicaria virginiana 'Painters Palette' this year and wow!!! I'm definitely going to WS more of that next time around. I have more shade and less full sun than I thought so I need more plants that thrive in those conditions. Persicaria suits to a T.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's okay! I have a BB right now in bloom! It's doing great! I wanted them mainly to share with friends and family. My blue flax that I gave to my neighbor is beautiful! I didn't get mine planted in time and they died :( . I've never heard of Persicaria but it sounds pretty.

I get full to part sun here so I can grow quite a few things. I need to check Trudy's site again to see what herbs can be winter sown. Parsley was a success for me. Clarkia did well too and I think the one batch of balloon flowers didn't make it or my pearly everlasting. I had extra annual seeds left over so I planted them in their place for this season.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Hello Brad, sounds like your'e getting ready. I'm out-of-room again! I am going to have get more soil. I am learning about my plants Rudbeckia, Coreopsis, Lupines etc. They spread. Right now, they are crammed together.

It's a big decision because we only have 100ft well. I have to keep in mind the use of water.

How do you like the Amaranthus? I'm thinking of passing on them next season. They are Large and Gangly.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Ladyrose,

I like the Amaranthus! The seedlings I gave to my neighbor are larger than the ones I have! She planted hers in a window box (with some other WS seedlings I gave her) and I think I see flowers starting to form on them! Rudbeckia (sent to me as gloriosa daisy) and coreopsis are doing splendidly for me too! Going to add them to the list too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored