Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodie74_gw

i can't believe this is happening!!!

jodie74
12 years ago

I'll try to make a long story short..... My husbands company just merged with another and as part of that merger most of the other companies employees MUST BE employed so basically my husband is up for a promotion but was told all openings have to be filled first by this other companies employees!! My hubby is feeling very burned as he has given 9 years to this company and now others will move ahead of him who aren't as qualified and don't have the years of service! This will effect his promotions for YEARS to come.

So...... He is putting his resume together and is contacting a couple of head hunters to seek other options which will most certainly require us to move!!!

I am venting here cause only my gardening friends will sympathize with me.... I have worked my a$$ off creating my flower beds and ws'ing 1500 containers and now I will likely have to LEAVE IT ALL BEHIND!!!!!!!

(sigh)

Now I am a glass half full gal so I am trying to tell myself this was just good practice for me and we will try to go farther south so more outdoor time and we will certainly make more money so that's ALWAYS a plus with 4 kids....... Another sigh...... But I have lost my "mo Jo" as far as planting out....... I'll never get to see my babies grow that I've worked SO HARD FOR!!!

I know God has a plan so I'll just go with it but dang, it's ALOT of work to leave behind!!! Prayers for our family during this time of not knowing would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Comments (8)

• drippy
    12 years ago

Jodie, I truly sympathize. I was in moving hell for two years as we made the move south for DH's work. It involved selling my house and wintersown gardens, moving first to a trailer in one state, then to a one-bedroom apartment in another state, and finally, to a new (to us) property.

Here's what I did to take some of the sting out - first, I took cuttings of some of my favorite plants and rooted them. If you can do that, or better yet, pot up a few divisions into pots - think smallish here, but you can fit a lot of pots in a car (you don't need clothes. Clothes are replaceable). Seeds, of course, travel easily. Gather as many as you can from your gardens now - depending upon where you are moving from and to, you may be able to start a lot of the plants you have loved again. Container gardening is your modus operandi until you have a new 'permanent' place.

For your personal self - adopt regular exercise if you haven't already. I was miserable during this time, and exercise is the #1 help for situational (as opposed to clinical) depression.

To get some mojo back: if you can't face putting those babies in the ground, give them away! Or have a charity sale! I still have very few friends in my new place, but just a couple of days ago I took a pile of WS seedlings to my neighbor, and scored 3 lovely calla lilies that were overflow from her garden, and a good gardening conversation.

Try as we might not to do it, we tend to base a lot of our security around home base - it was amazing to me how fast I felt better as soon as we bought a house. Yet I will never have the same sense of security as I did before, and that's actually a good thing.

Besides, I have twice the yard to wintersow! :)(at least, for now...)

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Girl my prayers are with you and yours for sure!!

This community I am living in has been hit hard I mean hard, the biggest employer of the tri state area (goodyear) announced earlier in the year they are packing up and moving out and calling it quits for the plant here. 1900 employees this is effecting.

I have a lot of family that has jobs with goodyear, including my brother in law. It is hard it is so hard to think about them leaving. They like you have done a ton of work to their home and their gardens. Now my sister wants the flowers and shrubs for "curb appeal"! I try my best to help her but in my gut I hate to see her go but she has to do what she has to do, so I understand.

Her husband does have a good prospect for a job further south which is only about 3 hours away but it is a significant drop in pay even at top out he will make less than what he is now. She will have to give up 15 years with the company she is with if they move, but they have an 18 year old about to go to college and a 5 year old about to go to kindergarten. So what to do?

Jodie I wish you and your family the most sincerest and best wishes possible. It is a tough time out there for everyone and with out our gardens I truly believe I know I would be insane.

Good luck girl!!!

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

My Family and myself are unemployed or unemployed on and off due to the economy. I myself have not had a stable job since 9/11.

Paying Property Taxes and Heating Oil has become a burden.

My Heart goes out to you!

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

You may get to see those sprouts grow and bloom. Sometimes getting a new job takes time or you may even, like drippy, find yourself at your home longer while it is being sold.

Start collecting those cuttings and potting up plants to take with you but don't forget to keep your garden looking nice. It will help your spirits and will make your home more attractive for resale.

When life is chaos it helps to do what one can today, one day at a time.

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Oh Jodi..The thought of leaving your gardens is upsetting I am sorry.

But... I see a lot of what if's and maybes in your post...What one hears in merger rumor mills is not always truth. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    Is there something your hubby always wanted to do but was to afraid? Like Start a business buy a franchise? Maybe now is a good time to look in to that...
    I mean the head hunters may have nothing for him.
    The people who are under qualified for a promotion typically burn them selves out pretty quickly and get replaced .. I h ope it plays out quickly and in your favor

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I agree- prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Maybe your husband will find a new job locally that won't require you to relocate.

In any case, if you do have to move, pretty plants in the garden do provide curb appeal. It might help you sell your home.

I hope all works out well for you.

Karen

• jodie74
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! I am humbled by those who are jobless or lack job security and I AM VERY GRATEFUL that my husband has a job! Long gone are the times when you could get employment from a company and retire from that same company! Such a shame. My husband is a very dedicated hard worker! Frustrating!

Situations like this always take a lot of time to play out. I need to be patient. Not my strong point for a type A ultra planner type personality. I HATE NOT KNOWING!

I've always said I would move south in a heart beat. Maybe this is the time. I just worry about up rooting my kids again. We've only lived here in
    Oh for almost 4 years. We really do like it here. School are great, great neighborhood..... If I had the slightest inclination this might happen I never would have put in all these gardens and ws'd so many! (sigh). Maybe this was just practice for something bigger and better. I'm trying to see the positive....

Well, anyways, thanks again for your prayers and there is not much I can do but sit back and watch it all play out. You gave me some good tips and I will use many of them!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

It never hurts to keep one's resume up to date at all times. Jobs are scarce now so tell hubby to keep smiling and watch his back and continue to give the Company 100%. Now days it is all about the bottom line of profit for companies, not the best qualified and dedicated employees. They can bring somebody in off the street; train them cheaper and not have to pay them as much. I know it is scary for you all, but keep smiling and pray for everything to turn out okay for your hubby and your family.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH