Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

New Bed Update

vera_eastern_wa
10 years ago

I can't believe sometimes that this all just had it's beginnings last spring! It's filling in so fast and now I'm planning on getting down to getting new beds and extensions started now that the planting out is pretty much over :)

Oh and just as a side note.....I have been working on ID'ing some fruiting shrubs that run the length of the property/tree line. I've a ton and I mean TON of native to Idaho Serviceberries!! They are so yummy and sweet, can't wait to for later this year! In the early spring the pretty flowers look like an explosion of white. Beautiful :)

Anyhoo.....

Self planted Oxeye Daisy and Purple Hyacinth Bean. These daisies are like dandelions and cover ground in a hurry, but since I didn't get my Shasta Daisy to germinate last year, I just thought I'd let these fill in for now! Gotta say though these look much better in the bed than they do in the pastures/roadsides. I'll assume it's less competition and better soil. In the field they new get more than 6 or so flowering stems and a relatively short. Mine are nearing 2.5' and nice nice mounds. Deer, Elk and Horses leave it alone btw.
{{gwi:402442}}

German Catchfly and Blue Flax
{{gwi:402443}}

{{gwi:402445}}

Coreopsis lanceolata is about ready to start bloom as is the Black Prince Snapdragons. This is the Snaps 2nd year and looking really nice :)
{{gwi:402448}}

{{gwi:402450}}

{{gwi:402452}}

The west side of this bed. The Hyacinth bean is up against the half-logs and then there are Homemade Pickle Cucumbers around the tipi. I also planted out Cleome seedlings in here
{{gwi:402454}}

Happy Growing :)

Vera

Comments (8)

• ladygladys
    10 years ago

So lovely Vera! I like the Blue Flax & German Catchfly combo! I have a magenta colored Snapdragon that overwinters every year. I cannot believe it has survived for the last 3 years!

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ladygladys :)

I believe I'll be moving the Catchfly this early fall. It looks purple in the pics, but actually is more a bright pink and doesn't sit well with me. When blue and pink are all that are blooming together, it looks pretty goofy lol! I think it will look much better in front of the Golden Marguerite, Purple Coneflower and Butterfly Weed :)

BTW....most Snaps I've ever grown were at least hardy to zone 5, but there are some out there that are not.

Well I must go and thin out more Dutch Flag Poppy seedlings!

Vera

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Vera, I love the photos. You must be so pleased at how things are coming along, I know starting from scratch once you've had established gardens can be intimidating.

It looks like you're surrounded by woods but with enough clearing for lots of sun....what about critters, are you battling wildlife there, no deer or elk bedding down in your yard?

I have to agree on the pink and blue...I love the blue - with white, yellow, or red for contrast - but must not be enough girly-girl to appreciate too much pink. I'd never had it in my house or closet, and I've always tried to limit it in the garden.

Now I've bought a house with all pink master bath - tub, toilet, sink, tile - all pink. But that's another story and OT :)

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hi Vera, the beds are looking great. I am jealous of your Black Prince snaps - they have great color. I ws'd some way back, and they didn't have as much foliage color as yours, nor did they grow as tall. They were Parks seeds, didn't seem to have much vigor. Pretty flowers though. Maybe you will have some seed to share??

I am not at all a girly girl, but I love pink flowers, and all the pastels. My feminine side, such as it is, is expressed through the garden. Don't think I'd be crazy about an all pink bathroom either though (prefer neutral decor in the house).

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Very Pretty! I like how organized it is.

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

Beautiful. thanks for the show. :)

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Morz8....

I am surrounded by both deer and elk....more deer this time of year than elk though. Have been using Deer Out repellent spray and it works great, although on Friday morning I woke up to a few Calendula nana missing there tops....opps. My mistake for not re-spraying after watering!!

Vera

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Good progress, Vera. I am also impressed with your BP snapdragons. While mine have good coloring they have stayed very short. Hopefully they will self seed and the seedlings will be taller.

A warning, morz8, I did not care for pink flowers until I moved into a house with a pink bedroom. After several years I painted the bedroom blue but the damage was done. Now my first choice is always the pink variety of a plant. Changed my gardening from bright reds, yellows and oranges to pastels. A complete 180. I think pink seeped into my soul while I was sleeping!