Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Asclepias victory

bakemom_gw
12 years ago

It took years to winter sow and spring sow the orange variety. I lost some and some just barely did much. This year some of my 3+ year old clumps came in like lush bushes with orange flowers no monarch can ignore. I have a container spring sowed which is germinating finally!

Anyone else?

Comments (12)

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

I did have a volunteer from last years that I was pretty happy about. I don't believe it was from a reseed I think it was from the root cause I haven't seen mine bloom yet (a. incarnata). I was sure hoping to see it bloom this year but so far nope.

Bakemom I found a field of a. sullivantii out near my mother in laws that is in full bloom now. Would you be interested in some seeds??

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I spring sowed A. speciosa and nearly every seed germinated. My A. tuberosa I dug up last late summer in an effort to save them from being destroyed when our old garage was torn down, are all growing and budding this year. I didn't think they would survive the winter being only in three inch, yet deep pots, but they did. And my A. incarnata, after having been driven over by various heavy equipment, grew back this year in the spot I had planted them in the bare patch of soil that used to be a flower bed, and one is even showing flower buds (I didn't rescue them because I saved seed and I ran out of pots to save everything. Still have the seeds.). But I had to dig them up a few days ago and pot them because my boyfriend and I were spreading the leftover dirt from the construction around the garage to even out all of the lumps and holes. He's going to rent a tiller and mix in some topsoil and compost around the garage so I can get my poor homeless plants that had to all be dug up last year (and many survived the winter) back into the ground. Maybe by August it'll all be ready, and I can get everything out of pots and into the ground. All of my winter sown babies are growing in pots, waiting for their homes to be ready too.

Karen

• not_a_contessa
    12 years ago

I sent seeds from my A.tuberosa to my daughter in SC a couple of years ago, and she is totally in love with her plants and she will be saving seeds for me this year. Mine got weed-whacked; my gardens have really suffered from neglect since neither my DH nor I were able to tend to them.

One really special survivor, however, is my Penstemon Husker's Red which you sent me seeds for. Also, you sent me seeds for a white un-named daisy which is about to begin blooming next to my purple-blue veronica, in a wooden tub. I can't wait to see the blossoms.

I did manage to WS seeds I collected from a native milkweed and I have several sprouts ready to plant as soon as the bed is cleaned out, I'm almost there. I'm growing them next to my porch because I just adore the fragrance, and perhaps the butterflies will enjoy them too. I'm on my own this year, but hey, I have survived cancer for 5 years now and I'm still fighting! Before my DH died he told me to NEVER give up.

You have a presence in my garden, thanks woman!

Mary

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Congrats, bakemom.

I WSowed A. tuberosa when I was a beginner, 5 or 6 years ago, and got a few healthy plants. Beginner's luck, I guess. I had 4 but killed one trying to move it in the second year. I now have 3 clumps, and they are among my favorite plants in my yard. And the hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies are all attracted to them.

If you deadhead the seedpods after the first flush of flowers, they will rebloom in late summer. And avoid those nasty milkweed bugs.

Karen

• lgslgs
    12 years ago

The nasty milkweed bugs are the insect species that really changed my attitude about insects. I'm going to have to leave a few seed pods for them. The babies feed on the juice from the milkweed seeds and the parents take their parenting job very seriously.

I've put a link below to the story of our Mama milkweed bug. I actually like insects after having met her.

I wish I could get that orange milkweed started here! The native pink type is easy but I've had zero luck with the orange.

Lynda

P.S. If any of you successful A. tuberosa growers end up with an extra seed pod or two this year, I know a milkweed bug rancher who could put it to good use. (Like I really need any more plants!) But feel free to enable! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: How Mama Milkweed Bug helped me appreciate the insect world

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I wintersowed some of the orange variety and they are still struggling. Maybe I need to move them to another location. I stopped by the public library and I saw some there that were so pretty and I touched the blooms, they were so soft. I don't know why I expected them to be hard. I don't know if I have anymore seed left over or not but I will buy some more if I don't.

• not_a_contessa
    12 years ago

I talked to my DD today, she said her plants bloomed but did not make any seed pods and now they appear to be getting ready to bloom again. They didn't do that here in PA, it will be interesting to see if they make pods later in the season. She loves the colors of the foliage and the blossoms, as I do.

Your unknown daisy is still getting tall and there are buds but no blooms yet, and I believe the purple veronica in that tub will still be in bloom when the daisies open, that should be a very pretty combination.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Bakemom, would you be so kind as to post pictures of your seedlings. The one's I WS'd didn't come up. So I decided to DS them. (Crossing my fingers!)

• roper2008
    12 years ago

I check my milkweed everyday. As soon as I see a milkweed bug, I
    kill it. So far I have killed two. One 3 weeks ago and the other last
    week. I can't stand these bugs. Worked well for me last year.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I STILL don't know how to use my newer digital camera. When my daughter comes back from vacation, I will hit her up for lessons.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Anyone who wants seeds this fall, let me know. I must have the perfect place for A. tuberosa, because my plants are spreading like weeds and I have volunteers everywhere. My original seeds were from Prairie Nursery ad are supposed to tolerate clay soil. I may even have some seeds leftover from last fall if anyone wants them sooner. Let me check my seed box first.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

I have seeds from both 2009 and 2010. Probably enough for 5-6 generous packs. If anyone is interested just say so in this thread and I'll be in touch.

Martha

Sponsored