Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

Perilla/Shiso - - Easy/Prolific Reseeder

northforker
11 years ago

Need a dark foliage plant? I plant this Perilla/Shiso a few years ago (WS seed) and it has reseeded everywhere. Easy to pull but this year I will cut it down before it sets seed. I've left a row of it in this bed as a nice purple colored edge! Needs some sun but not all day sun.

Comments (6)

• trudi_d
    11 years ago

It is nice! When your lilies bloom it will a lovely combo.

I am always happy to find its seedlings, they make great fillers in potted plants, love them with orange impatiens and purple sweet potato. It's also eye-candy with plain jane shasta daisies too.

• hepatica_z7
    11 years ago

How fussy is it about soil? I have an area of my yard that seems to be the worst of the fill dirt. I have layered other stuff on top, but many things still do poorly there. It's mostly red clay, but continues to look like subsoil, despite being on the surface for more than 50 years! I don't have time,nor energy,nor sufficient amendments to work it up as I have done in other areas of the yard. So, I am trying to grow things that do well there. Some things that have succeeded are shasta daisy Becky, nicotiana, Siberian Iris and lamb's ears. Any thoughts about Perilla?

Hepatica

• northforker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have to admit, soil is one of the "blank spaces" in my garden knowledge. I am blessed with sandy, easy to work soil and reading here the trouble folks have to go to to work with and amend their soil, I am not sure I could hack it...

But I do believe you should give perilla a try based on the fact that it germinate and thrives so easily in some old spare pots with really muddy old soil I had laying around near a real container planting last year. Also - have you tried amaranths? I find them reseeding everywhere too.

• hepatica_z7
    11 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement to try it, Nan. Where did you get seed?

hepatica

• bakemom_gw
    11 years ago

wonderful plant for all the reasons above, but I had to eradicate it b/c it was too invasive. I wasn't able to pinch off the blooms in time and it went everywhere. If you can handle this plant, you will really love it.

I like the idea of containers and juxaposed against shastas and sweet potato vine. Anything chartruse would look neato.

• northforker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have to warn you, this actually started as a container plant! I had gotten the seeds in a "Round Robin" swap and the gardener was considerate enough to put a warning on it.....best in pots, reseeds like crazy in beds.

So I put the WS'd sprouts in a planter (where frankly I put my "least favorites" - - come on - you know what I am talking about. don't we all sort our plants for containers very carefully? Best plants on the front steps, etc. Well this got put in the planter sort of out of the way on the deck. When I saw it grow and that the foliage was so great, I moved some to other containers around the yard.

The rest is history. Seeds easily blew out of the containers and rolled into beds. But it has been "in beds" reseeding for about 4 years now and As long as I pull it where I don't want it early in the spring (when I am in there anyway, weeding..) it's great.

I kind of think that it depends on the kind of beds you have. My gardens are a mish mash, planted tight, no mulch (cause no ground..) I've got a patchwork of little bits of everything in every bed. It's a tossed salad. I like it, but it is not for the conservative. If you have 4.5 inches between each carefully mulched with dyed black pine bark beds, it's not the plant for you!!!!!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals