Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this legal

Posted by jspeachyn5 6 SW MO. (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 15:34

Ok, I received this in a seed packed this last fall to ws. I am a newbie to this. Please hold a laughing until the end.
Is this a flower or is this something illegal??
Here are some picture as you can see it is growing quite well or at least I thought is was. But now I'm beginning to wonder.
What is this? Help
Bottom of plant
What is this?
Back side
Help what is this?
Ok, so tell me is this just me being old or is this something I should yank from my flowerbed?
Now you can laugh.
Bonnie : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this legal

I'm almost sure it is cleome, aka spider flower. Let others weigh in, those who are familiar with the exact looks of the one you are worried about! If it is cleome, you can expect flowers in a few weeks. Enjoy, either way!

o

Thank goodness.
I have been a nervous wreck every since I posted this.
I looked up cleome an I sure hope that is it. I do remember planting some of that just forgot to mark it.
This is all the reason I need to always remember to mark all new to me plants.
Thanks'.

o

Well if its not cleome, just plant some cleome next to it lol maybe you can get away with it lol (bad joke)

o

If you planted cleome, that is probably what it is. There are several other plants with similar leaf patterns. The first year I planted cleome, my teenage daughter looked at it and said, "Mom? are you sure you meant to plant this in the front yard?"

Becky

o

Bonnie,

If in doubt, take a few leaves, dry them out, roll them up like a cigarette, and sneak behind the house to smoke it. Come back and let us know how it goes, OK?? If it makes you sick, it's no good, but if it makes you happy then can you send me some seeds?

o

LOL, tiff.... :0) LOL

Carrie

o

I agree with Tiffy. For medicinal purposes only. I thought the same thing last year when my cleome started growing. I thought whatever it is I'm going to have a lot of it!

o

It sure looks like cleome to me. I have a few reseeds in the backyard now that look like it ... one of the two has a flower. I grew it for the first time last year, and it concerned me a bit as well. I searched for a picture online to be sure and was relieved.

o

LOL Bonnie! I am also pretty sure that is Cleome. The edges of marijuana leaves are much more serrated. Not speaking from personal experience, of course. I did a Google Image search.

Texas Star Hibiscus is another one that has leaves very similar to "weed."

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image search on Marijuana Leaves

o

Just sniff it. Cleome stinks like B.O.

Karen

o

We had a long discussion about that on the perennials forum. I had a similar plant that grew in my yard every year, turned out mine was wild potentilla.

It sure does look like MJ but cleome was mentioned, so that's the first thing I thought of when I saw your photo. I wouldn't know the difference though and have seen the stuff in the wild when I was a kid, used to grow in ditches, aunt had botany for a hobby and taught me plants. I wouldn't have remembered what that looked like or cleome either.

I will now lol.

o

LOL, I started a post about this in the perennials forum. I found the same thing growing,and my teenage daughter said it looked like weed. so with an internet search and GW post, we figured out it might be cleome. Sure enough its getting ready to bloom now and it is definitly cleome. I hadnt planted any this yr or last, but had some before. This was sure a slow germination, but a welcome one.
Tammy

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 18:08

LOL @ tiffy!

Bonnie, keep a little folder with the desription and pictures of cleome - ya know, in case the revenoors come a-knocking!

PV

o
Daughter stopped by

My daughter just stopped by.
Well she laughed her head off at me.
"mom you are going to have the police here".
"Daughter my garden friend have assured me it is celome".
"Is that what they are calling it these days"?

I told her some of the posts to my question. She said what kind of friends do you have???
The kind with a since of humor : )

Well needless to say I will be watching very close for some bloom to confirm it is celome.
Funny thing is the leaves were only about 2-3" across a few days ago. I put manure on a few days ago. Well they sure have grown. I will at least have a healthy plant no matter what it is.

o

Don't worry, it's not pot.
jim_6b

o

Oh tiffy, you're the BEST! you gave me my first laugh of the day!
I would have to vote for cleome too. Maybe next year you could grow castor bean right next to the cleome, that would give your daughter some thing to talk about!!LOL!!

Small town legend has it that a midnight raid was conducted at the house of an eldery lady to cut down all her MJ plants only to find out they were castor beans!!
B

o

NO! It is NOT legal! You must immediately send it to me! I have connections with... well ... let's just say I have them!

o

I do have castor beans planted in that new bed. Both red and regular.
More or less a work in progress. Trying to decide where I want things at. This year and next.
Celome and castor bean plants in new bed
Thanks' for making me feel better about my Celome.

o

You guys are too funny, I would have wondered the same thing since it's been so long!! LOL
Too bad it wasn't mj, I would have sent Bonnie a SASBE :)

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 30, 09 at 20:34

I had to come back to laugh at tiffy's post! Cracks me up!

PV

o

Bonnie,

I think you took my advice. It's Cleome, not Celome. :O)

I'm just waiting for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to show-up here. Someone spotted my Joe Pye Weed at my plant sale and said to another that the leaves looked like MJ to them, to which I responded, "Oh, yes, that is weed..." One of my friends who knows me and my sense of humour started to laugh so hard he had to go in the house.

o

Yes, that is the reason for all of my typing erroerrs... oops errors : )
Oh my I'm sure I would be flooded w/SASBE.
I tried to explain this to my mother today over the phone. I don't think she believed me at first.
My grandson is now walking around saying "eesay (me) is growing crazzzzy flowers"! Because my daughter told him that.
Some how I have this feeling that now I will be the old lady that grows crazy flowers. As opposed to say the lady down the street with all the milk jugs in the snow, you know the crazy lady.

o

That stuff grows wild around here. We have a good laugh when
visitors come and see 10 ft tall stocks of this stuff.
We call it Ditch Weed.

We even used some for our Fam. Reunion table decor as a joke.
MJ comes in different strengths , some are worthless to
smoke. No worries. Never tried the stuff, but pull it
out of my garden all the time.

Mary

o

This is funny! I we had some of the ditch weed growing along a fence row one time and a police friend came to a BBQ and I mentioned it. That was before people got too concerned about it and in Z5. His reaction was that some people are so dumb and try to smoke it and they get really sick from smoking that stuff.

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 11:11

oh this was so funny, glad the police won't be stopping by... I have some cleome and I decided to smell it and it does stink

o

Ok , still laughing over this thread, but just like your hand count them 5. as five fingers and five leaves for MJ.

Laughing most here are not old enough to remember the T shirts with "weeds" on the front.

ML

o

Oh they still have them - particuarly the ones with Bob Marley and Jimmy Hendricks. Defendants wear them to their sentencing. Takes the guess work out of what to do with them.

o

Ok found picture and a song to go with

Here is a link that might be useful: wildwood weed :)

o

Oh mlcom, that is just too funny. I remember that song from back in school.
Made me laugh.
My extended family all got a good laugh about this today since everyone was togather and my daughter just had to tell everyone. So as she is telling the story her son hears her and starts saying in a loud voice "yeah Le ah Say has crazzyyy flowers!"
Now everyone is waiting on them to bloom so they can see what I really have growing out there.
Thanks'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here