Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Is this legal

jspeachyn5
14 years ago

Ok, I received this in a seed packed this last fall to ws. I am a newbie to this. Please hold a laughing until the end.

Is this a flower or is this something illegal??

Here are some picture as you can see it is growing quite well or at least I thought is was. But now I'm beginning to wonder.

{{gwi:403972}}

Bottom of plant

{{gwi:403973}}

Back side

{{gwi:403974}}

Ok, so tell me is this just me being old or is this something I should yank from my flowerbed?

Now you can laugh.

Bonnie : )

Comments (30)

• hepatica_z7
    14 years ago

I'm almost sure it is cleome, aka spider flower. Let others weigh in, those who are familiar with the exact looks of the one you are worried about! If it is cleome, you can expect flowers in a few weeks. Enjoy, either way!

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank goodness.
    I have been a nervous wreck every since I posted this.
    I looked up cleome an I sure hope that is it. I do remember planting some of that just forgot to mark it.
    This is all the reason I need to always remember to mark all new to me plants.
    Thanks'.

• countrycarolyn
    14 years ago

Well if its not cleome, just plant some cleome next to it lol maybe you can get away with it lol (bad joke)

• ramazz
    14 years ago

If you planted cleome, that is probably what it is. There are several other plants with similar leaf patterns. The first year I planted cleome, my teenage daughter looked at it and said, "Mom? are you sure you meant to plant this in the front yard?"

Becky

• carrie630
    14 years ago

LOL, tiff.... :0) LOL

Carrie

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

I agree with Tiffy. For medicinal purposes only. I thought the same thing last year when my cleome started growing. I thought whatever it is I'm going to have a lot of it!

• mo_girl
    14 years ago

It sure looks like cleome to me. I have a few reseeds in the backyard now that look like it ... one of the two has a flower. I grew it for the first time last year, and it concerned me a bit as well. I searched for a picture online to be sure and was relieved.

• dawiff
    14 years ago

LOL Bonnie! I am also pretty sure that is Cleome. The edges of marijuana leaves are much more serrated. Not speaking from personal experience, of course. I did a Google Image search.

Texas Star Hibiscus is another one that has leaves very similar to "weed."

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image search on Marijuana Leaves

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

Just sniff it. Cleome stinks like B.O.

Karen

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

We had a long discussion about that on the perennials forum. I had a similar plant that grew in my yard every year, turned out mine was wild potentilla.

It sure does look like MJ but cleome was mentioned, so that's the first thing I thought of when I saw your photo. I wouldn't know the difference though and have seen the stuff in the wild when I was a kid, used to grow in ditches, aunt had botany for a hobby and taught me plants. I wouldn't have remembered what that looked like or cleome either.

I will now lol.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

LOL, I started a post about this in the perennials forum. I found the same thing growing,and my teenage daughter said it looked like weed. so with an internet search and GW post, we figured out it might be cleome. Sure enough its getting ready to bloom now and it is definitly cleome. I hadnt planted any this yr or last, but had some before. This was sure a slow germination, but a welcome one.
    Tammy

• PVick
    14 years ago

LOL @ tiffy!

Bonnie, keep a little folder with the desription and pictures of cleome - ya know, in case the revenoors come a-knocking!

PV

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My daughter just stopped by.
    Well she laughed her head off at me.
    "mom you are going to have the police here".
    "Daughter my garden friend have assured me it is celome".
    "Is that what they are calling it these days"?

I told her some of the posts to my question. She said what kind of friends do you have???
    The kind with a since of humor : )

Well needless to say I will be watching very close for some bloom to confirm it is celome.
    Funny thing is the leaves were only about 2-3" across a few days ago. I put manure on a few days ago. Well they sure have grown. I will at least have a healthy plant no matter what it is.

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

Don't worry, it's not pot.
    jim_6b

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Oh tiffy, you're the BEST! you gave me my first laugh of the day!
    I would have to vote for cleome too. Maybe next year you could grow castor bean right next to the cleome, that would give your daughter some thing to talk about!!LOL!!

Small town legend has it that a midnight raid was conducted at the house of an eldery lady to cut down all her MJ plants only to find out they were castor beans!!
    B

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

NO! It is NOT legal! You must immediately send it to me! I have connections with... well ... let's just say I have them!

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do have castor beans planted in that new bed. Both red and regular.
    More or less a work in progress. Trying to decide where I want things at. This year and next.
    {{gwi:403975}}
    Thanks' for making me feel better about my Celome.

• shasta_2008
    14 years ago

You guys are too funny, I would have wondered the same thing since it's been so long!! LOL
    Too bad it wasn't mj, I would have sent Bonnie a SASBE :)

• PVick
    14 years ago

I had to come back to laugh at tiffy's post! Cracks me up!

PV

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Bonnie,

I think you took my advice. It's Cleome, not Celome. :O)

I'm just waiting for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to show-up here. Someone spotted my Joe Pye Weed at my plant sale and said to another that the leaves looked like MJ to them, to which I responded, "Oh, yes, that is weed..." One of my friends who knows me and my sense of humour started to laugh so hard he had to go in the house.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, that is the reason for all of my typing erroerrs... oops errors : )
    Oh my I'm sure I would be flooded w/SASBE.
    I tried to explain this to my mother today over the phone. I don't think she believed me at first.
    My grandson is now walking around saying "eesay (me) is growing crazzzzy flowers"! Because my daughter told him that.
    Some how I have this feeling that now I will be the old lady that grows crazy flowers. As opposed to say the lady down the street with all the milk jugs in the snow, you know the crazy lady.

• friesfan1
    14 years ago

That stuff grows wild around here. We have a good laugh when
    visitors come and see 10 ft tall stocks of this stuff.
    We call it Ditch Weed.

We even used some for our Fam. Reunion table decor as a joke.
    MJ comes in different strengths , some are worthless to
    smoke. No worries. Never tried the stuff, but pull it
    out of my garden all the time.

Mary

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

This is funny! I we had some of the ditch weed growing along a fence row one time and a police friend came to a BBQ and I mentioned it. That was before people got too concerned about it and in Z5. His reaction was that some people are so dumb and try to smoke it and they get really sick from smoking that stuff.

• karendee
    14 years ago

oh this was so funny, glad the police won't be stopping by... I have some cleome and I decided to smell it and it does stink

• MLcom
    14 years ago

Ok , still laughing over this thread, but just like your hand count them 5. as five fingers and five leaves for MJ.

Laughing most here are not old enough to remember the T shirts with "weeds" on the front.

ML

• bakemom_gw
    14 years ago

Oh they still have them - particuarly the ones with Bob Marley and Jimmy Hendricks. Defendants wear them to their sentencing. Takes the guess work out of what to do with them.

• MLcom
    14 years ago

Ok found picture and a song to go with

Here is a link that might be useful: wildwood weed :)

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh mlcom, that is just too funny. I remember that song from back in school.
    Made me laugh.
    My extended family all got a good laugh about this today since everyone was togather and my daughter just had to tell everyone. So as she is telling the story her son hears her and starts saying in a loud voice "yeah Le ah Say has crazzyyy flowers!"
    Now everyone is waiting on them to bloom so they can see what I really have growing out there.
    Thanks'

• Francis Castiglione
    8 years ago

Haha I'm a bit late on this by a few years but I thought the same thing. I bought cleome seeds a few years in a row from the dollar store with no results and this year I had a strange plant I thought was something else at first being I planned a bulb in that spot.

When it started getting taller I started messaging my friends "Is this what I think it is?!?" At least one of them though it was. Then today I was walking and saw one growing in my neighbors yard and was relieved haha. I only found this thread trying to tell him about it.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!