Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Are you a seed slut? I am.

bakemom_gw
12 years ago

I went to the garden store to pick up some mg for summer sowing and meant to get some weed killer. Just for giggles (sure) I happeded to end up in the perennial area two buildings away. Must have been lost (sure).

So I decide, with the price of gas, it would be wasteful to leave without a purchase or two. Remember, I like to grow from seed, so this a sign of weakness. I bought a small pink salvia (I already had it somewhere) and Malva mystic merlin (have had it before).

Unlike the other folks at check out, my purchase looked bare (you know what's next), but they were loaded with seed pods not quite ripe and a ton of blooms on the salvia that weren't mature either.

Yes, I bought seeds on the hoof. BTW, I forgot about weed killer and had to poach the mg from a display stand b/c they were out on the shelves. The worker gave me the ok to do that but looked at me funny.

I give up. I'm trying to be a cougar and ended up a seed slut once again.

Discuss.

Comments (12)

• drippy
    12 years ago

Yep, I hear you. Son's graduation in Miami - spent much of the time walking around picking seeds from tropical plants I don't even know the name of and probably won't even survive here, but they were there, ya know? If I'm not actively participating in a swap on the RR Exchange, I spend at least one night a week scouring different vendors on the net, and slapping my hands to keep from hitting the "submit" button on a shopping cart-load full. Sometimes I am successful.

Flat out ridiculous, but there it is.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Drove to my daughter's to pick up a couple quarts of home-made CT maple syrup for a friend at work (my daughter, SIL & GD make it every year). She showed me around her flowerbeds and mentioned she'd cut all the stems off her columbines that were finished blooming. Her plants are amazing (and I can't tell you why since I don't know) so there were about 50-75 stems with plump seedpods on them dumped in a pile beside her driveway. I gathered them up, stuck 'em in the car and brought 'em home. She apologized that they were all different ones mixed together. Told her I didn't care...if you saw her columbines in bloom, you wouldn't care either!

I loved seeing my WS globeflower bloom this year...but confess I was more excited about all the seedpods the flowers left behind when they were finished! Same with the lupines & baptisia--I actually stood beside my oldest baptisia/false indigo and scolded it for dropping all its flowers this year, leaving me a measly 3 seedpods to harvest. Thank goodness all the others around the garden are heavy with plump pods. Oh yeah, I'm definitely one.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Seed Slut. (LOL!) I going to tell my Sister my new label.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Oh, me too. I've bought seeds on the hoof, especially for those things that do well freshly sown, dicentra scandens, astrantia, alpine leafed ladies mantle.

I was in a large, out of town nursery yesterday just long enough to buy organic lawn food. As I was paying, and DH was already loading the car, the other clerk was explaining some sale things to another customer - the clerk helping me said 'you didn't date your check'. 'I'm sorry, I was so distracted when I heard sale, I lost track of what I was writing' :) She then went on to say the half price gallon pot perennials looked a little rough but would be fine once shaped, planted and tended, that several were those that had finished blooming (think seed pods).

Arghhhh, we still had to go to Costco and were expected at a graduation party, the original reason for the trip. Maybe I'll get back there later this week, an hour away....

• kimka
    12 years ago

You know you are a complete seed slut (like me) when you are on the way to work in the morning and see a yellow foxglove-like flower in bloom by the railroad crossing and start figuring if you can stop to collect seed and not be too late to work...when I'm not even sure what the plant is.

I resisted long enough to plan to stop on the way home tonight. Mostly so I can get a photo of it too so I can post and get a name for the plant.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

I can't ride down a country road without hanging my head out the window looking for anything in bloom so I can get a few seeds. I need the bumper sticker that says "will brake for seed pods". I can't go to anyones house without digging through their plants first before I even acknowledge them sometimes.

I have it so bad I collect seeds of plants I don't even like in hopes they may make a trade.

• tempusflits
    12 years ago

Seed slut. I'd not thought of using that term before, but now that you mention it. :)

And thanks for all the ideas!

• austinnhanasmom
    12 years ago

Considered myself a seed whore, but slut works too!!

LOL.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

"Will Brake for Seed Pods"! This Post is a Hoot...!

• pitimpinai
    12 years ago

Seed slut? :-) Does picking seeds off my partially cooked tomato count?

I am staying at a Bed & Breakfast somewhere in Tipperary County, Ireland. The hostess served me lightly cooked tomato with my breakfast. Boy is it delicious. So I scraped some seeds off the side that was not totally cooked. I am too cheap to just buy fresh tomato. lol.

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

This winter I saved a couple seed pods from the General Tso's chicken I had and tried to germinate them. My mother in law was here last week and I asked her what seeds she might like, so I pulled out my boxes, all mixed up, I said, I have a seed problem, she says, well dear, I think you do.

My son picked a daisy and pressed on the center saying, look Mommy! Seeds. He learns well.

I am still planting, it's winding down though.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

pitimpinai, sounds great! Both the tomato at breakfast and the pocketed seeds :) It will be interesting to hear what else you come home with, remember that little squares of folded paper make wonderful temp seed containers.

Enjoy yourself - and the food :)

Sponsored