Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

For those who couldn't wait!

proudgm_03
12 years ago

I know you're out there. You couldn't wait for your WS babies to bloom or you got tired of trying to grow a certain plant...etc. What nurseries have the best prices for the best quality of perrenials?

I didn't WS this winter. I've had a lot going on healthwise since I started this endeavor. Now things are better and I'm out trying to fix 2-3 years of neglect. I have some things growing but I want more NOW! I thought I would buy a few to ease the craving until I can wintersow next year.

Comments (9)

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I've ordered from both Bluestone Perennials and Santa Rosa Gardens, and received nice healthy little plants from both. They're not big plants, but are reasonably priced, healthy, and well packaged. Santa Rosa's packaging is especially good.

I think both are having sales now, too.

Karen

• drippy
    12 years ago

Bluestone gets my vote.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Bluestone would have been a good choice, but unfortunately their sale is over. Not sure what online nursery is having a sale right now. If you haven't been able to WS due to health issues, and hopefully now feel better, how about treating yourself and going to the nursery for some plants? I was just at the nursery the other day and couldn't help buy a few plants - including Salvia 'Black & Blue' which I've been wanting to grow for years! Really beautiful plant, and the hummers love it, but it apparently can't be grown from seed.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I don't have that many blooms. I need to attract bees. I bought some red salvia, Red Celosia and Marigolds. They were $2.00 a pack.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I overwintered my Black and Blue Salvia in the attached garage and it revived this spring! No blooms yet, but it is really growing in its pot. I second the local garden shops. I always try and shop local and they should be having plants on sale regularly now. Good luck1

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Oops, didn't know Bluestone's sale is over. But Santa Rosa is still having their 60% off sale. Their stock is probably getting low, so if you're planning to order, I'd do it soon.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Rosa

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I ordered from Santa Rosa yesterday. The website actually displays the number of plants they have in stock when you're looking at the photo so you can either order quick or take your time if they've got plenty. This is the first time I've ordered from them but expectations are high considering they're a Watchdog 30 company. Received email confirmation of the order immediately followed by a personal email saying the order will ship next week. If the plants are in as good order as their communications, it should mean I get some terrific new additions to my perennial beds. I ordered things that I either can't grow from seed, or the seeds aren't yet available... okay, so I caved and also ordered another hellebore to add to my growing collection but other than that I restrained myself, really I did!

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I don't think you'll be disappointed gardenweed. And their packaging for shipping is excellent.

Karen

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Well, I can't wait but I experienced a different kind of impatience! So many things that I wanted to grow this year and some germinated and died off. Sooo I have been sowing more containers, I just sowed another 10 a few minutes ago. I just couldn't wait till next march. Hopefully this fall I will have more babies to plant out. I am excited!!

Heehee I have been watching some plants at my sisters and her jupiters beard and her rose pink salvia are almost ready for harvest!! Yes she could split some but I really love the adventure of growing from seed!!

Sponsored