Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

wrong place I know

proudgm_03
12 years ago

Is it okay to cut off daffodil and tulip leaves after they bloom? They are so ugly!

Comments (6)

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

Sorry, No proudgm. As the stems turn brown they are giving energy to make next year's flower. Once they are completely brown, cut them off. In the meantime, lightly cover them with mulch or plant something next to them that will come up next year after they bloom and cover the foliage.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I braid the leaves. Then kinda roll theme up into a ball and tuck the end into the ground. They are still visible, but neat and tidy. When they are all brown, I just pick up the braid and throw it in the compost.

If you run a quick google images search "braiding daffodil leaves" you'll see some photos of how different people do it.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

I cut mine back every year after they bloom and before they have time to fully turn brown, and they come back each year and even multiply. None do I mulch!

I remember as a kid we had a huge row of buttercups in the front yard. Well they weren't in a typical flower bed just planted in the yard. My father would mow around them while they were in bloom, I still remember the first time he mowed them down while they were still green. I took off running after him crying cause he just killed my buttercups. He explained they were done for the year and they will come back the next and they did. When I was a teenager mowing that same spot with the same buttercups, I always thought about that day.

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I have read about braiding the leaves, but my neighbour, who is Dutch, said they should not be braided. As she explained it, you want the largest surface area of the leaves to be exposed to the sun, because it uses chlorphyll to build up the bulbs for next year's blooms. I grow some in pots, which I sink in the ground overwinter, so I just remove them to a back portion of the yard when done. Others are under trees where they bloom before the trees leaf out. Bleeding hearts and hostas are very good for hiding them.

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the info! I guess I will just plant something around them to cover them.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

You can braid, they do fine that way--at least I've not seen a problem. I've knotted them too. Take a handful of blades in each hand and start tying loose knots, you might get two or three, then tuck in the ends. Easy.

Sponsored