Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

Carpe diem!

drippy
12 years ago

Finally a break in the heat, a little moisture for the clay - overcast and raining lightly all morning made it perfect for planting out. So, I planted out:

Centeratherum (Brazilian Buttons)

Christmas Basil

Dianthus, Alwoodii (sp?) and Fenbow Nutmeg Clove

Kosteletzkya virginica

Penstemons, murrayanus, Esprit, and Cambridge Mix

Scutellaria baicalensis

Viola Penny Lane

Aquilegia caerulea

Pumpkin on a Stick

Primrose, Crescendo Mix

Geranium, Maverick White

Arnica montana

and Viola, Etain - the only one not wintersown

Of course, I don't have a lot of ready bed space - plenty of land, but not the resources yet to turn it all into garden - so I am cramming these in wherever I can to existing gardens. There will be a lot of moving around next year!

Comments (8)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

sounds like a good diem. i'm still late spring/summer sowing...trying to patiently wait for this season's seeds to ripen.

can't wait to see your spread when you're done!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Did I ever! Carpe diem that is. Had a brilliant idea late this afternoon for where to plant some carex 'Ice Dance' divisions that involved moving some heavy rocks so I'm glad it was a cloudy, cool day rather than a blistering hot one.

You sure got plenty of things planted out yourself today--that's an impressive list! Congratulations on getting them in the ground when the opportunity presented itself. I potted up more of my WS sproutlets today so they can get some size to them while I ponder their ultimate location in the flowerbeds. I have a foundation bed that needs a complete overhaul so many of them will probably find permanent homes there once I figure out the design. The look of a couple other beds doesn't suit me either so I'll be rearranging things at some point when time allows + the weather cooperates.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

You got some Kool plants, Drippy! Post pictures when they flower! Very interesting.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    12 years ago

I'm envious... :O)

• drippy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Tiffy, I am eyeing my plants/seeds with an eye toward which will work well for you when you're settled - it looks like, assuming all the seedlings survive, Joe Pye is a winner this year.

Ladyrose, I do have some cool plants. What I do not have yet is a handle on my cool new camera - big learning curve. Hope to have that together soon, as, besides plants, I need to be able to shoot some good photos at my daughter's wedding in Scotland this summer.

I just got another cinderblock bed (cheap, fast, not pretty or perhaps permanent, but need it NOW) together in the vegetable garden area so I can get my squash seeds in tomorrow. I also fertilized, which takes me a full hour.

Weather is great here, hot and sunny - I have to water a lot, but I'm picking Sungold tomatoes and basil already.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Drippy I have been dieing to ask you this. So how do you like that bermuda grass??

Lovely south!! I would live no where else!! Seriously I can't handle the cold. LOL

• drippy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, bermuda grass I could live without, but I have so many weeds around - my whole "lawn" (of which there is way too much anyway) is pretty much weeds - some of them, I like! But bermuda grass in the garden is annoying.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Sweet Drippy!! Your response is way milder than I expected.

It takes me about 3 years after I start a bed to get the bermuda kinda under control in it. Constant pulling and digging that mess up the first year. I know you said resources were thin to start the other beds now. Though I would say this fall might be a great time to work your new ground. Fall is a great time for transplanting also for us in the south. Spring rework your ground then put in your fabric, double it if it is the cheap kind. Then add your rock or mulch. I can't afford fabric and mulch especially not at a rental, hence the ground covers. So I just deal the best I can.

I can't wait to see your before and after pictures!! Drippy I know you have some fabulous plants and I can't wait to see the blooms!!

Oh by the way if I said what I thought about bermuda I might be banned. Lol