Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiskin_gw

2,5 years... but well worth the wait

Kiskin
11 years ago

Papaver orientale Coral Reef. Seeds from Diane, were sown on Jan 18, 2010. Germinated on April 29th, transplanted on July 18th, 2010.

And today the bloom opened for the first time, after 2 and half years of waiting. It was worth the wait.

{{gwi:405502}}

{{gwi:405503}}

Lupinus polyphyllus My Castle was wintersown in 2011 and allium hollandicum Purple Sensation and alchemilla mollis were bought from nursery.

Comments (9)

• northforker
    11 years ago

Isn't that a pretty, delicate flower! It is so amazing when soemthing you have been waiting for finally blooms! Congrats!

• Kiskin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Nan! I love oriental poppies and I am so happy about Coral Reef finally blooming. I would love to try a purple Patty`s Plum, but I can`t seem to find the seeds. I wonder if the seed comes true? Ha anyone successfully winter sown it?

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

It took 2 years for me as well for my livermore beauty poppy to bloom , this year just one bloom, though the base plant looks to be spreading.

Ive tried others, but young poppy seedlings are loved by slugs here and Ive lost them 3 times already, I hate slugs!

Anyways.. here is a link to a place you can buy pattys plum seed, but its not a cheap place..

ONE STOP POPPY SHOPPE

• Kiskin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Silverkelt, for the link! I'm glad to see that they also ship overseas. Unfortunately I did not find seeds of Patty's Plum there, but will keep my eye on the store, in case PP will be available again.

Sorry to hear about the slugs eating your poppy seedlings, that is truly frustrating!

• annikasmommykate
    11 years ago

Here's a link to a trader who completed a trade in May (positively reviewed for that trade on "Rate and Review", who has Patty's Plum seeds available.

Not sure if they come true from seed, but good luck :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Potential Patty's Plum Person

• drippy
    11 years ago

Indeed worth the wait! :)

• MissMyGardens
    11 years ago

Congratulations on both your Coral Reef bloom and those gorgeous Lupines around her!

There've been questions about Patty's Plum coming true from seed for a number of years including here on GW forums.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1213342330577.html

In searching the net for Patty's Plum SEEDS they seem to have "disappeared" from vendor sites where they used to be available just a couple of years ago.

From everything I've found they do NOT come true. All sales offered that's I've found are either for plants or what are being referred to in UK as "bulbs" which I'm taking to mean bareroot plants.

The link to Missouri Botanical Gardens states they do NOT come true from self-seeding and will likely show reversion to natural orange coloration.

Don't know if color reversion from selfseeding was known to propagators or vendors in years past but seeds have disappeared from their online sites now offering only plants. They can be propogated by root cuttings.

Gardeners would have to be vigilant to deadhead Patty's Purple if they don't want color reversion to orange disrupting possible lovely color schemes they've created.

Annual Papaver somniform 'Lauren's Grape' has been suggested as a substitute if retaining purple bloom is desired for garden setting.

Here is a link that might be useful: MOBOT-Patty's Plum papver orientale

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Very Nice! I love the color! I like pastels. Congratulations! Well worth its wait.

• Kiskin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for commenting!

Annikasmommy, thanks for the link! I wonder if people are willing to exchange seeds shipping internationally?

Ladyrose, I love pastles as well! I tend to gravitate towards the colder colour scheme in my garden - blue, pink, purple and white with silver and purple foliage and a little bit of pale yellow and chartreuse to liven things.

And thank you, Newbie_nj, for your reply. Now it makes sense, why it is so difficult to locate Patty`s Plum`s seeds. I will try to find a plant then. Not an easy task in my country... :)

Sponsored