Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Paint Pen?

pixie_lou
12 years ago

Could somebody please post a photo of a paint pen? Or a link to a picture?

I went into JoAnne this week and asked for a paint pen. All they had were those little bottles of fabric paint - and I know there is no way that I could write on mini blinds with those bottles. If I knew what one looked like. . .

Comments (15)

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Te ones i use most are made by sharpie I got them at Michael's They were in the isle with wood craft paints not fabric paint

Krylon makes one: http://www.krylon.com/products/short_cuts_hobbycraft_paint_pens/

AND ELMERS http://www.elmers.com/products/paint-pens-and-other-supplies/paint-markers

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharpie paint pens

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. My local Michaels moved locations a while ago, but I guess I can endure the horrible Rt 9 stop lights and traffic to go there. Now I will know what I'm looking for.

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

You could shop it on line? Staples maybe?

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Someone said a pencil with the mini blinds works for them, I was unable to score some blinds so I don't know for sure either way.

Crossing my fingers I score some blinds for this year!

• northforker
    12 years ago

They have them at Joanne's on line. 50% off one item code is: LWF162 but shipping may kill the deal.

I recommend that you do not get artsy with the color (oh, would green look pretty in the garden..) like I tried to. Stick with black, holds up best.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

DecoColor is another brand

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: paint pen

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

countrycarolyn, I know it's not as good as free but I bought mini blinds for $2.57 from L-w-s and dismantled them for markers. I will have hundreds. Linda Jo

• ljpother
    12 years ago

I'm cutting up tall yogurt/sour cream containers to get strips for labeling.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

You know Linda that seriously is not bad considering how many markers you can get from them. I remember seeing a post about purchasing blinds last year and I couldn't remember who did that or where they got them.

Thank you for reminding me!! Definitely worth checking into!!

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

I can vouch for Mini blinds and regular pencil - works great and lasts forever. I use about 3" sections and push almost all the way into the ground so I don't pull them out when doing spring cleanup .....

Lynne

• jodie74
    12 years ago

Not trying to hijack this post but I have been using clear forks to mark my plants. I simply write on the handle with a paint pen and fork it into the ground! I love that I can't really see it unless I look hard enough. Come fall or spring when plants aren't real big, I won't see all the white mini blind markers sticking up al over the place. LOL. Just my preference to not see it. I get them from the dollar store or Aldis and they are like 50 for $1.00. Probably a little more money than mini blinds.......

• terrene
    12 years ago

Many mini-blinds that are hanging up in windows have extra slats, since the mini-blind is a lot longer than the window. I got mine by undoing the bottom of the blind and removing the extra slats. This is easy to do and free (although $2.57 is pretty cheap, I still try not to spend $$ if possible).

I use pencil, which works great, or paint pen over some white tape which is more readable. I can remove the tape and relabel the marker if needed.

Clear forks or better yet knives would be aesthetically more pleasing than all the little white markers scattered all around the gardens which I think are kinda ugly. Somebody called them "mice gravestones". On the other hand it's good the mini-blind markers are easy to see so I know where the seedlings are planted and don't step on them or scuffle hoe them out.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Terrene!! Now why didn't I think of that!! Great idea!!

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay - I made the trip to Michaels, and I am now the proud owner of 3 paint pens. 2 blacks and 1 blue. I'm continuing to search craigs list for offers of free mini blinds - though I'll probably end up buying a new blind for the bathroom and using the ugly mini blind that the previous owner left. In the meantime, I just used some plastic spoons to label my irises that need to be relocated once they are done blooming.

• northforker
    12 years ago

Any thrift shops near you? I usually can get sets of blinds there very cheap. Yard sales are another good source.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists