Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Take a walk with me through my flowers...lots of pics

Posted by tepelus 5/6 N. Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 19:25

Lots of pictures of some of my flowers, winter sown and non...

Campanula persicifolia, blue and white, winter sown last year, Penstemon 'Iron Maiden' in the back, winter sown last year, Coreopsis g. 'Mayfield Giant', freebie from Bluestone last year.

Penstemon, Campanula and Coreopsis

Another angle, showing the penstemon more.

Photobucket

Penstemon 'Iron Maiden', hummingbirds love it.

Penstemon 'Iron Maiden'

Penstemon 'Iron Maiden'

Campanula persicifolia 'Alba' and blue

Campanula persicifolia 'Alba'

Campanula persicifolia

Coreopsis grandiflora 'Mayfield Giant'

Coreopsis grandiflora 'Mayfield Giant'

Salvia transylvanica, the bees love it! Winter sown last year.

Salvia transylvanica

The flowers are intriguing.

Salvia transylvanica

Supposed to be Huskers Red penstemon. I don't think it is, though. It is close to 5 ft. tall. Bought it two years ago from Bluestone. Bees love it.

Penstemon 'Huskers Red'

Penstemon 'Huskers Red'

Catalpa tree flowers. Tree not winter sown, was here when we bought the house three years ago. Grows fast, love the flowers.

Catalpa

Campanula punctata 'Rubriflora', winter sown last year.

Campanula punctata 'Rubriflora'

Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate', not winter sown, bought last year at K-Mart.

Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate'

Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate'

Saponaria ocymoides, winter sown last year, done flowering now, but started flowering at the beginning of May and now just a few blooms left here and there.

Saponaria ocymoides

Saponaria ocymoides

And this is the end of the walk. Hope you enjoyed.

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Take a walk with me through my flowers...lots of pics

Karen - I really did enjoy it - and those Penstemons DO look like Red Huskers - although my foliage is a bit more red.. but the flowers look similar.

I love the expertise of your photography... impressive!

Carrie

o

Thank you very much! The only reason I don't think they are, is because the leaves are not even the slightest red, though there is one behind the two giants that has darker foliage with a little red, and the flowers have a bit more pink in them than the other two, And it's half the height as well. The bed they are in will get redone, I need to add more soil to raise it a bit, and move some plants around so the taller guys are in back. The penstemon grew a lot taller than I thought they would get. A project probably for the end of summer, as it's a bit late to do it now that the heat of summer should be coming. I say should, because it's been rather cool here for this time of year.

Karen

o

Lovely pictures! They are nice and clear, love the close-ups mixed with the full-plant shots.

That red Penstemon is gorgeous and the supposed "Huskers Red" looks like the regular Penstemon digitalis. Very pretty either way! The Salvia is interesting looking - does it have a fragrance? My Salvia nemorosa is blooming away and the bees love it too, but I think it smells terrible.

I enjoyed looking at the photos!

o

I don't know if the salvia has a smell, I've never tried to smell it. :) But I'm sure it does and probably stinks like yours. Thank you for the comments!

Karen

o

I've enjoyed walking through your flowers - especially enjoyed the closeup of the salvia.

-StLGirl

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 23:05

love the flowes!!!

o

Wonderful!!

o

Looks like penstemon digitalis for me. Wonderful pics.
Would love to trade you in the fall for penstemon Iron Maiden and white campanula, I have blue and love it but lost white form.

o

Beautiful flowers and pictures.

Karen

o

Gorgeous. I have sown a few of those this year and now I have some idea when they'll bloom. Lovely, thank you for the peek teplus.

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 8:57

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

o

Tepelus, your pictures are wonderful. I see you are as intrigued by the flowers of Catalpa as I am, it certainly puts on a beautiful show around here. I really should remember to snatch some seeds. I noticed the pods split open sometime in March, it would be good to have another tree growing here to shade my mobile.

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here