Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Second year blooms

docmom_gw
10 years ago

I wintersowed a bunch of stuff when I moved into a new, shady yard. This is the second summer, so the perennials are blooming for the first time. I have my first blooms/buds on Rose Campion, Liatris ligulastylis, Asclepias incarnata and coreopsis, Columbine, and others I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm hoping the butterflies will visit. I would take pictures, but we have severe thunderstorms headed or way. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

Martha

Comments (19)

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

luv to see pictures!

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't know how to do more than one per post.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Malva

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Campanula?

• drippy
    10 years ago

Very pretty!

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

The one you label as campanula looks like Canterbury bells to me.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pixie Lou,
    You are probably correct. Seeds from a trade and I didn't save the label.

Martha

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

Lovely scenes from your garden. I especially like the Malva. I must try them next year. I have a lot of shade and through lots of reading have found many good choices other than hostas. They are not always readily available and I have had to buy some, but it is worth it. Thanks for sharing.

• vera_eastern_wa
    10 years ago

Very pretty!

Canterbury Bells is Campanula medium,,,,so you were right :)

I had 5 Malva bloom from seed 1st year but none of them came back this year!? I got both in trade and the ones I sowed last year were either marked 'Zebrina' or 'Braveheart' but label faded away and I sowed one of them, so not sure. Pretty sure they were perennial and came back in my last garden. They are perennial right?

Vera

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Nice to see these blooms in your garden, Martha. We are two/three weeks late this year and will be awhile before mine are in bloom. There are many lychnis seedlings, some will be like yours and others white with pale pink.

Your malva is gorgeous. Another plant that has not done well for me. Your photo inspires me to try again.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That Malva is, surprisingly, in quite a shady spot. I'm sure I'll have lots of seeds, so I'll save some to share.

Martha

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

The flowers are pretty! The Malva is gorgeous never seen it in that shade before? What is it called?

• ladygladys
    10 years ago

I love that Malva too! I also had Canterbury Bells bloom this year! I let lots of Corncockle self sow around it to support it and this was a tremendous help. No flopping at all even now since I yanked all the Corncockle after blooming. What are the plants in front of your Rose Campion?

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know the name of the Malva. I got the seeds from a patient that I visited at home. I loved the color, as well, so begged to be allowed to snag some seeds that were there. I just call them dark purple Malva.

Martha

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Your malva is beautiful. Mine bloomed last year but not that prolifically, then didn't come back this year, or so I thought. Then, while weeding last week I found a couple of them in different spots so they must have reseeded, which means no blooms this year, but I'll wait. They were also later to sprout than the one I got from ws. A lot of things were late this year.

Is malva, like its hollyhock cousin, a biennial? It's a plant I'd never heard of until a few years ago, but saw it in another forum and got a few seeds.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caryltoo,
    It's hard to tell whether it is biennial, since it usually reseeds quite prolifically. Your experience certainly leads me to believe they are, in fact, biennials. I will plan to drop seeds carefully to encourage reseeding to ensure I have some growing every year. I also plan to save seeds for trading. They wintersow very reliably.

Martha

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Thanks, Martha. The only thing I know for sure about Malva is that it's related to the hollyhock (I think it's an ancestor or something). I got the seeds from a place that didn't put much info on the packs, not even perennial, annual or biennial. My blooms were more pink than your gorgeous purples. Might have to hit you up for a few seeds come fall. :)

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been saving and drying seed from that purple Malva. So, I should be able to share with everyone who has mentioned an interest. The seeds are probably dry now, so send me an e-mail and I'll send you my address for a SASBE. Or we can trade. I'm really only interested in natives or butterfly nectar plants. But, I don't need a thing.

Martha

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

I haven't been on here lately, but my malva did bloom again. In fact, it is blooming now. With all the rain, the weeds really got a stronghold in my perennial garden, but after a few dry days I was able to get in and reclaim it. A few smaller plants were choked out, but I was able to save a number of my new additions like hollyhocks. I still might take you up on the seed offer, Martha. Thanks.

Caryl

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022