Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Doomed to not have a garden!

vera_eastern_wa
9 years ago

I must be destined to frost out! ARGH!!!!

Again we frosted on June 6th and 7th. On the 6th it wasn't too bad and barely caused any damage, but this a.m. it was frosty at 29-30F!!

Comments (12)

• ladygladys
    9 years ago

I would move! No way am I dealing with a frost in June!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Geez, Vera, that stinks!! Did you lose a lot? Sheesh, I just can't believe you are still having frosts in June. I hope you didn't have too much damage and that if finally warms up for you very soon!

Dee

• drippy
    9 years ago

Holy cow! You need a greenhouse!

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

That sounds awful! I am sorry.

• bahia
    9 years ago

Sounds like you need to go with the flow and grow either local frost tolerant native plants, or stick with garden plants used in high mountains that shrug off light frost. Otherwise, you'll need to use coldframes and frost cloth if growing tender stuff. Easier to garden with the climate than co stantly fight it, no?

• User
    9 years ago

Vera,
    I agree with above poster, I would move.
    I am sorry, or get a real big green house, and garden year round in that.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Vera it was 90 degrees here today. Come live in Texas!

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

I use row covers to protect from frost (not in June tho!). They work down to 20 below.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A greenhouse is hopefully in my future :)

Most of the marigolds and 4 O' clock look worse than then are. This a.m. I noticed fresh new growth!
    Yesterday I planted out Snapdragon 'Black Prince' close to where all these sad plants are just in case. Also broadcasted Coreopsis tinctoria and Verbena bonariensis and planted out 2 more Datura wrightii this a.m.

Just finished a radish butter sandwich fresh picked from the garden....YUM

Oh and just thought I'd gripe a little bit about my Scarlet Runner Bean and Castor Bean seeds. No matter how I try to get them started this year....outside in containers or direct sown near their trellises, they have all had teeny tiny seed maggots!! ARGH!!! I received the seeds from two different people. One via trade and the other from a neighbor here in Elk City. I sowed more of each today. So bummed.

Vera

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

OMG sorry you are having frost this late. None here in interior of BC Canada( you could move here too LOL) My daughter lives north / west of here in the mountains and she said they had frost too but they also may get it in the middle of August so growing season is short. They too need a greenhouse.
    What a bummer! My climbing beans are 4 feet high and tomatoes and potatoes have blooms. I have new raised beds this season and am loving it. I can sit to weed and would be easy to cover if it were cool and chance of frost. would be easy to make hoops like a covered wagon too with plastic to cover

• jhawes
    9 years ago

I live just north of Indianapolis and our weather can be very un predictable. Of course last winter sucked and is a good example. Most of my roses which were well established bushes had to start from scratch, most coming back from about 5 inches off the ground. Some summers here can be very hot and have little rain, while others can be so wet. I think this is why a lot of gardens in this area look like crap and people give up. I've heard people say, " you can't grow roses well here." What I've learned is that if you want to have a nice garden in this zone, you have to have a thick skin and be persistent. It takes a little more work and gardens here often need more special care and attention. When summers are particularly dry, I have to spend more time watering. When it's wetter than it should be, I spray more fungicide. When the winter is colder than usual, I have to do more fore winter protection. One think I do is plant a lot, and then some more. I save a lot of seeds and propagate as much as I can. Mother Nature takes her toll on gardens in this area of the country, but I try to not let it bother me. I also think of it as her way of culling the weaklings out.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm just shocked. Those very VERY sad looking marigold and 4 o'clock are making a comeback LOL! Even seen some new growth coming from the base of the Profusion Zinnia. Unreal :)

Vera