Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Hi Friends!!

vera_eastern_wa
11 years ago

Just to let you all know, I am still around, but very limited internet access!

Some of you may already know that we have moved to central ID and are located in the Clearwater Mountains (Elk City). I am still learning as much as I can about what is and what isn't possible to grow at this high altitude, and from what I have gathered so far, I most likely will not get to have much of what I had back in Eastern WA...however, I believe the growing zone is higher than what some of the locals are telling me. I'm guessing we are zone 5 or at least 4B. We got here in mid November, and it never got much colder than -13 once or twice and were normally never much below -5. The first frost date in the fall is usually around Sept. 15th (comparable to where I was), but the last frost date isn't until around mid June!! I didn't even try to bother winter sowing Tomatoes....they all got started indoors, as did peppers, and as of last week, Cucumber.

So far this spring weather had been up and down. For a few days it will be near 80 and the next barely hitting 50 and rain rain rain!

We also have to learn to deal with elk and deer. Just about every morning, but mostly evenings, it isn't nothing to have a heard of elk (or plenty deer) out in the meadow. We often sit out in the swing and take it all in. Last night I had a 1 year old Bambi (still with spots) mowing the lawn about 5' from the back deck and too dang close to one of the new beds I'm working on....EEK! This is sooooooo new to me and gardening ((sigh)).

Does any know if that Liquid Fence or Deer Scram is worth spending the money on? Am I doomed to put up fencing? I really hope not.

Well I did spring sow a bunch of seed in April and May and here is the list and what has come up so far:

Sunflower 'Moulin Rouge' (germinated)

Calendula 'Citrus Cocktail' (germinated)

Calendula, standard (germinated)

Snapdragon (germinated)

Nicotiana alata, common white (germinated)

Cynoglossum amabile (germinated)

Red Russian Kale (germinated)

Heirloom Pea "Dutch Gray' (germinated)

Mondarda fistulosa (germinated)

Hyssopus officinalis (germinated)

Lavender angustifolia (germinated)

Helenium, red (germinated)

Penstemon 'Huskers Red' (germinated)

Dianthus 'Siberian Blue' (germinated)

Linum lewisii (germinated)

Garlic Chives (germinated)

Common Chives (germinated)

Maltese Cross (germinated)

German Catchfly (germinated)

Malva 'Zebrina' (germinated)

Coreopsis lanceolata (germinated)

Rudbeckia hirta (germinated)

Rudbeckia amlexicaulis (germinated)

Lobelia cardinalis

Nepeta mussinii

Agastache foeniculum

Heuchera 'Purple Palace'

Heuchera 'Fire Red' (may have labeled it wrong...Fire something)

Gaillardia aristata 'Burgundy'

Gaillardia aristata, common

Shasta Daisy

Golden Marguerite

Tatsoi Mustard Greens

Valariana officinalis

That was just from memory so I could of forgot something :)

I should be able to access the internet a good deal more at least for a little while. Hope everyone is doing well!

Happy Gardening :)

Vera

Comments (11)

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, Vera ... it's good to see you posting again ... it's been a long time ... I always benefited from your posts and loved your photos ... hope you will get back to that ... we traded seeds a couple of times ... the catmint seeds you sent me have grown into a large patch ...

All the best in your new environs,
    Barbara in Virginia

• northforker
    11 years ago

Hi Vera! I just know you will make beautiful flower beds for your new home.The gardens you put togther at your previous home were inspirational.

Something to try for the deer:
    While many folks in my area can not grow gardens at all becuase deer just eat EVERYTHING (even supposedly deer resistant varieties), up until this year I've been pretty lucky. Usually just one "feast" in early spring (where they mow the hosta down to the ground and chomp back the Phlox. Both bounce back; the phlox even benefit from the haircut it seems - more branching. But this year, when they returned the next week and started eating other perennials - I freaked out. Told hubby we have to DO something - this has been a long WSing investment here!. He suggested that we not spray the deer repellant spray, but put "stations" of it around the beds.It's what they do in the vineyards here. You take an empty 20oz drink bottle (soda, whatever) turn it upside down (with the cap on), cut a window in the middle with the flap going UP (helps keep the rain out). Then you attach it to a stake with duct tape, stake it in the beds and fill to below the window (about 4oz's?) with the deer replellent. We did up about 8 of these and placed them around the beds. It stunk to high heaven for a week or so, but has mellowed over the past 4 weeks - hopefully the DEER can still smell it! They have not been back. it's evaporating - will probably have to refill soon.

My friends that are spraying this stuff are spraying every 2-3 weeks and it's tons of work and lots of money to keep buying more. Consider giving this technique a try.

Nancy

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Hi Vera! I hope you love Idaho. I don't know much about where you are, but I'm surprised when watching NWCN how beautiful the weather can be around Boise at least...are you comparable there at all?

And with your list of plants, I'd say you've made a great start!

We have deer, elk are plentiful but not ever in town :) From what I gather, if they really are hungry, you may have to resort to any and every means...and that could include fencing. Our deer are more opportunistic browsers who go after their favs year round, with no snow cover never starving to the point they will eat anything at all. Roses, raspberries high on their treat list.

I use Bobbex, if I spray regularly (not affected by rain thank goodness) my plants are fine. My neighbor has similar results with Liquid Fence - I hate the smell. I swear, her yard smells like an outhouse to me when she sprays and she's never outdoors after about 5 PM, so BBQ time on this side of the fence :)

Hope you'll be popping back in, that life is treating you well...

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

Hi Vera! Was reading post and thought I would read this one.
    You have a nice list of flowers started already!

Nancy, THAT is a great idea! We have a herd of deer that seem to live close by. I am afraid they will visit my garden once it gets going well. THIS is worth doing!

Also read on here somewhere someone suggested Irish Spring soap, you hang MANY bars around the area and it is supposed to keep them away. Whomever posted this also suggested shredding some and putting it out around where you want to keep them out. Supposed to put the bars of soap in mesh like onion bags and such.
    Seems cheap enough to try and thought I might do this one once my beans get going. Down side is you have to make sure the bars don't melt away quickly if you get a lot of rain, BUT still worth a try to find out.

:) Aqua

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

Hey, Girlfriend! Good to see you around!

I have good results spraying Liquid Fence, but it's effects do wash off with rain. I have thought about making little bottles as Nan suggested. Maybe now I'll actually try it. Damned deer ate the tops of my WSown toms last night. (I fell and hurt my right hand pretty badly a couple of weeks ago so haven't sprayed or done any other gardening to speak of since my tumble).

The deer never bother my toms after the cages are on them AND bird netting thrown over them.

Karen

• MissMyGardens
    11 years ago

I think I'll always remember you from my introduction to 'Purple Prince', blue flax, golden marguerites and maltese cross!

Did you get to take your Quince seedlings with you to Idaho? Remember when you germinated them from seeds you found on campus. Gorgeous blooms when they're all grown up.

Congrats on your move. You've got a challenging geography out there but if anyone can make it work you can!

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So nice to be back! Can't tell you how much I've thought of you all!
    Nancy, I really like that idea and will definitely give it a try! I was under the assumption that both Liquid Fence and Deer Scram were resistant to rain and snow and that they could be used year round. At least that is what I read in Growers Supply Catalog. Last night I was reading through my Rodale Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening and they also suggested that if a person didn't want to put up an 8' fence around the garden, they could put up a 4'-5' fence and then about another 3'-4' inside, put up another fence. Apparently the 2nd fence will stop them because they see a 2nd barrier much too close to the first. I said I didn't want a fence, but I just don't want any metal type fencing...just too ugly especially out here where it's gonna stand out like a sore thumb! Originally our plan was to use 6' plus Red Fir posts (and cross-posts) taking out of the slash piles on a friends property before they were to be burned and make a rustic fence with them around the huge veg bed we created with large old cedar fence posts (about as big as railroad ties). We gathered enough and even had the stakes erected, but then some local said it just wouldn't be high enough....ugh! So now that double-fence thing has me thinking lol! I'd still like to give your idea a try especially around the foundation flower beds.

Hey Morz8!
    That's another thing I read regarding Liquid Fence, that it isn't smelled my humans LOL! That's marketing for ya, huh?! I'll look up Bobbex as soon as I'm through. I have heard of the Irish Spring method too Aqua :)

Sorry to hear about your tomatoes and your fall Karen, hope you recover quickly!

Newbie,

Oh I'm so glad you are enjoying them! I forgot to mention in the first post that I did started Golden Marguerite, but fried the seedlings....opps...and a reminder to sow some more!! Thanks LOL! My Quince were no longer seedlings....planted out in 2004 or 2005. They flowered for the first time last year btw! Nope, didn't take it :(

I need to do some google'in on these deer repellents....and oh, did I mention we also have a bunch of ground squirrels, gophers or whatever you call them? (sigh).

Happy gardening,

Vera

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, did my google'ing and came across and older Gardenweb conversation on the "Plants for Difficult Places" forum. Some good suggestions, including the old rotten egg/water method. Decided to go with Deer Out concentrate at $34.99; makes 2 1/2 gals. Wish me luck :) :)

Vera

Here is a link that might be useful: The Repellent Conversation

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh BTW, I have new seedlings up since yesterday....

Cardinal Flower *we have a really great wet marshy area to work with!
    Geranium 'Biskovo'

• bakemom_gw
    11 years ago

Vera! I'm so glad to see you back! I'm anxious to hear about your gardening challenges and how you problem solve. Your Washington gardens were so beautiful!

• albertar
    11 years ago

Hey Vera
    Good to see you back posting here, even if I don't post all that often myself anymore, :) Your list sounds fantastic, but yes you will have to get Bambi and friends under control soon, real soon. Since I don't have deer in my neighborhood (only because its pretty residential) they are around but most houses here are all fenced in and they are more in the less populated areas running wild. Anyway, I'm sure you do have your work cut out for you, so please keep us posted on how everything works out and if that deer away product works for you.

Alberta

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths