Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

What kind of trellis for cardinal climber?

kqcrna
12 years ago

Having never tried them before, I don't know how they (ipomoea x multifida) climb. Tendrils? Twining? Basically, does it need something skinny like string, or will it climb a fatter pole?

Karen

Comments (15)

• PVick
    12 years ago

They twine. I grew it a few years ago and it did fine on my bamboo trellis.

PV

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, PV. I'm going to stick a few in a spot where they won't get much sun until they're fairly tall, so I'm not expecting much from them. But I'll give them a try.

Karen

• terrene
    12 years ago

I love these Karen! Been Wsing them for 4 years now. For the first 3 years I used a teepee trellis made of natural wood. The branches were 1/2 - 1 inch thick. However, last October we had a windy storm and that toppled over. So this year, I'm making a new larger trellis out of natural wood.

It's fast growing, mine reach 10-15 feet and usually start blooming in August. Hummers love it!

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, terrene.

Actually, unless these guys can grow pretty well without sun for a while they don't have much hope of making it. They won't get real sun until they're much taller- they pretty much have to clear our deck to reach sunshine. And I planted a butterfly bush in front of it.

The cardinal climber is just 3 seedlings, fear of wild reseeding. The butterfly bush will hopefully be the permanent planting in that little spot.

Have been doing stuff outside since early morning, now taking a break in the a/c with a glass of iced tea. It's hot. I'm still weeding/mulching, haven't planted yet...and it's going to be 90 degrees tomorrow.

Karen

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Can you post picture of your trellis's because I having trouble getting mine together. I got bamboo pole, but I can tell I need something taller.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ladtrose, I just used an old trellis that I had laying around, with a couple of bamboo stuck in the sides.

You can design any size and shape you want with bamboo- teepee, fan. Grid...
    See google
    Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo trellis

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I grew Cardinal Climber a couple of years in a row. First year they were in a container with MG and, a trellis rigged with twigs and garden twine. The second year I planted them in the ground in front of my wood pile. They climbed that quite handily so I don't what their method is. They are very pretty, much smaller than I expected, so several vines make a showy display.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, northerner. I hope mine get enough light in that spot to grow and bloom.

Karen

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Saw this post Saturday, and realized I had an empty trellis in my flower bed. I usually put Scarlet Runner beans there, but the grasshoppers always eat them down to nubs. So I looked through my seed box, and sure enough I had some cardinal climber seeds. Planted them that afternoon : )

Now just anxiously waiting for them to pop up!

Bonnie

• roper2008
    12 years ago

There is a man that lives a couple blocks away from me. He is
    mentally challenged. Comes over about 2 times a month to collect
    some of my fennel for his swallowtail caterpillars. His sister, who
    he lives with, gave him a little cardinal climber plant to give me.
    This is it last year. The hummers loved it. I did save seeds, but
    he gave me another plant for this year. It's planted by my deck
    again.

{{gwi:407953}}

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, that's gorgeous.

Karen

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I Second, Karen. Wow!

• jodie74
    12 years ago

I have to ask...... Did ALL THAT come from one little plant? I ask cause I just put 6 plants in a 18" pot. I have a bamboo trellis in the pot of course. Wondering if I planted too many in the pot!!

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Thank you.

Jodie 74. There were only 2 plants in the pot he gave me. I told my
    sister she could keep one and to plant the other anywhere she
    thought was a good spot. I think she planted both of them by the
    deck.

• terrene
    12 years ago

LOL Jodie, yes you probably overdid it with 6 vines in a pot, I usually plant 6 on the whole trellis. The flowers are a little small, but once they get going they look more floriferous. They would probably do better in full sun, but mine grow in partial sun, don't have much choice in that matter except for tree removal.

This pic is from last year, but as I said this trellis blew over, and I've been working on a much bigger trellis behind this one (hoping to screen out the background and neighbors shed). Just planted out my Cardinal Climber and Morning glories yesterday. They were very ready to be freed from their containers!
    {{gwi:407954}}

Sponsored
VerdeScapes LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Landscape Architects & Landscape in Virginia