Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmachris_gw

Self Sowed Seedlings

grandmachris
11 years ago

I love cerinthe. It's blue-green foliage and purple flowers look so cool and yet it grows wonderfully in my dry garden with perennial salvia, yarrow, Russian sage. The other reason I like it is that it is unusual. Few folks around here grow it. One year I asked the Future Farmers to grow it for me especially. They major in marigolds, common celosia, annual scarlet sage and other common stuff along with veggie seedlings. But they grew the cerinthe, in 4 inch pots for $1.50 each--not in 6 packs. I went up to the county

high school in early May only to find there had been a change in Agriculture faculty and the greenhouse production was way down.

About a week after my disappointment I found one cerinthe,

very weak looking, about 6 inches long and already blooming surviving through our warm winter. I've been calling everyone local ever since and haven't located any. Last night after a month of very dry weather, I was out in the

dry garden and to my amazement found 6 or 8 cerinthe seedlings, sturdy looking, 2-6 leaves each! I am very pleased! That's about how many I wanted! Tonight I found

a similar number of self seeded portulaca also. Somethings just germinate late. They're all very near where

I want them.

Chris

Comments (4)

Sponsored