Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Left over seeds from Dec last year!

Posted by syman 5 (smaniv2@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 20:28

I have some Perennial seeds that I did not winter sow...It was inside the house, in a kitchen draw...Now, should I go ahead and sow them in the ground..or should I freeze in the refirigrator and sow them outside in Aug/Sep ? Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Left over seeds from Dec last year!

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 14:19

Not enough information -

Seeds for which perennials. Some will store better and not lose their viability as quickly as others.

Do they have a dormancy that needs to be broken, by a cold moist chill, or would they germinate if you direct sowed. Freezer really isn't helpful, although if a cold moist chill is required before they will germinate, your refrigerator (not freezer) will work.

But, if they need a few or several weeks of moist cold before being brought back to warmer temps to germinate, you could be looking at late summer or early Fall for seedlings. Then what, where will you keep tender seedlings that haven't had time to grow any kind of root system over winter in a Z5...

So again, which perennials, you could ask here and one of us may know, or you can look them up on Clotheirs database to see what temps the seeds may need to germinate and an approximate time frame

Here is a link that might be useful: Clothiers

o
RE: Left over seeds from Dec last year!

I find that very few perennial seeds fail to germinate after years in the frig. That is assuming that they are in plastic bags and don't dry out. I never freeze them though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here