Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Anybody still planting out??

terrene
11 years ago

I spent most of the afternoon planting stuff today. I've been lackadaisacal and still have lots of WS perennials to plant out. Also, the basil and parsley and many annuals and I want to direct some veggies and the Zinnias.

But I got lots of WS Echinacea planted today - more Pow wow wild Berry, Primadonna White, Bravado and seedlings from my my favorite purple coneflower. Then fixed the trellis and planted lots of Ipomoea - Heavenly Blue', 'Split Personality' and Cardinal climber.

Also bought these large bushy Hostas at the nursery last week - Guacamole, Stained Glass, and Patriot. I've been soaking them and divided them with a knife into single divisions, and planted those out in a shady garden today.

Anybody else still working on getting their seedlings planted?

Comments (16)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Me. And while they won't technically be WS of course, I admit to a stack of seed packets still on my desk - Gardens North April sale was a little too tempting, then May a little too busy, I hope to prepare some pots this coming week for the things that don't need definite or much cold. It's been 40's at night, barely touching 60 afternoons for the last week....

Your day sounds like real progress to me!

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

I've barely started. I have planted out most of the annual herbs and cool weather veggies, but haven't even started on flowers. Our weather has been absolutely miserable, 10 degrees cooler and almost 2 inches wetter than normal so I've put off a lot of outdoor work. The weatherman promises next week will be warmer and dryer, but I have to say I've heard it all before. LOL.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I just got my zinnias in yesterday and my tiny heucheras went into a holding bed today. I still have 6-8 containers that should get planted tomorrow. Then the seed collecting begins!

Martha

• northforker
    11 years ago

Oh yes - planting away. I keep getting distracted by other "projects" I run into when I am out there. Yesterday I was determined to finish the front beds. But I have one area along the walkway up to the house that is too "deep" (about 8') for a running length of about 10'.For years I've been saying I would put a path through there, so that I could actually GET IN to weed and plant. Yesterday (holding jug, desperately looking for real estate for it..) I decided to make this path. Took most of the morning (pulling weeds, relocating plants) but I was able to clear enough to get my garden scooter in there and plant Straw flower, Zinnias, foxglove and Snaps! And hack back (to within an inch of their lives) some New England Aster.

That's the other big distraction this year. I am cutting back/pinching so many perennials. Yesterdy I found Montauk Daisy that needed a hair cut, last weekend it was Joe Pye and hibiscus. I am just determined to not have ANY floppy plants this year.

I did cave in a pot up some annuals instead of getting them right in the ground. Lots of annuals - Nicotianna, petunas, zinnias. I just don't think I have room for all of them and this way friends and family can come to my "garden center", leaving with pots!

Nancy

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Still? I just started yesterday, lol! And I've only got about 20-25 containers. Yikes, if I had done my usual 225 I'd be in big trouble - and so would my little seedlings. But like Barbe, I can blame the weather to some extent. We've had so much rain that it was hard to get out there and get some work done. No excuse the last few days though - weather has been completely cooperative!

Dee

• aklinda
    11 years ago

I have about 18 blue fescue clumps to plant out - everything else is done. I had to break down and pay someone to weed the yard and flowerbed because I physically can't keep up any more - mobility issues. The neighbor that I hired also got about 50 winter sown perennials as a bonus. That way I could focus on getting all of the plants into the ground. I put a white plastic spoon in the ground next to each newly planted winter sown plant so I'll know where to look next spring and hopefully avoid walking on them this year - it looks like I'm growing a spoon garden. It's so hot now - in the 90's - that I'm having to water the winter sown babies every other day so they don't turn crispy - about a 2 hr job in the heat. I know next year I am not starting so many plants but if all the ones I put in the ground this year survive the winter my beds should be pretty full.

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

I am still planting out as well. Lots left to do, annuals and perennials. I did give some to my sister and I think I might be giving some away to friends and family. A few things have bloomed for me from this year's and the year before's WS: Yellow Scabiosa, Candytuft, Phlox, Calendula, and others are growing nicely and some like Malva, Hollyhock, and Black Eyed Susans have buds.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

I can't believe I am still planting out after having planned so carefully. But this year, Mother Nature did me in and I didn't finish hardening off my toms. and peppers until last week. Then there were other things I had to attend to outside of the home and I got almost nothing done last week. Today I re-finished my herb bed and got in my chives, hair allium, parsley, bunching onions, and thyme plants. Have only got 3 peppers in and not one tomato as yet because I have to prepare the space first. So many weeds. I did manage to get in two sets of pole beans and two sets of bush beans, but I have many containers of perennials which I will have to pot up because I don't have space for them. Growing squash, a few melons, and cauliflower for the first time, and they're ready to go in, as are cukes and zucchini. My problem is preparing the space because the weeds are so relentless. Perhaps some plastic covering may be in order next year. I usually mulch with chipped leaves and it probably helps them grow. I will be full speed ahead in the next few days, hoping to be done by the 15th. That should give me enough time to get something at harvest time.

• drippy
    11 years ago

Oh yeah. I still have a couple of things - xanthoceras, a mulberry, and vitex agnus - from last year that aren't planted out. LOL.

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Them phrase plunk and run comes to mind. After 4 or 5 years of wintersowing I am running out of real estate. Hubby said, you must be done, you have no where left to plant. Where the is a will there is a way, lol. I will find a way!

• ohsillyme
    11 years ago

The beds are ready!! LoL
    Well, yes, I am still planting out. I have bachelor buttons and alyssum flowering in their pots.
    I vascillate between putting in my store bought/friends divisions, and the ws babies. It all looks so BARE w'out the mature ones in first! And my ws dats look funny behind the feverfew!
    I got the zinnia planted out but then realized the salvia are Behind the zinnia. I dont think I will ever get this height thing down, and I've been doing this for a couple years now!! Oh well, the neighbors wont be laughing when they're full bloom!

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

Oh I still have like a dozen or more daylily seedlings, maybe a dozen wintersown containers still..

Weeding and compost mulching take up so much time and its been raining here non stop alot. If it can be timed to plant right before rain, great, but Im not slogging through mud to plant. So proably over 60% of the time its been bad enough here not to bother go out, of course this has left most of the beds looking terrible, even if I couldve gotten out and done just a little at a time it wouldve been nice!

Silverkelt

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I've made a big dent but still have several things to plant. Wish we'd have a few days in the 70's so I could finish but I think those are over until fall for me.

I've planted about 100 zinnias so far, some direct and some that I started in a lasagna pan. What's weird is that I still have about 100 seedlings. I usually lose more than half to various critters. They're just not disappearing this year. I think someone is playing a joke on me. Now since I posted that, I'll go out tomorrow morning and they'll all be gone. lol

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well it's nice to know I'm not alone in still planting stuff! I'm glad it's not too hot yet, and the cool and damp weather is great for planting (although requires slug patrol!). I also plan to pot up some of the seedlings that are too small to go in the garden yet.

Yesterday, I planted out the Cosmos 'Sensation' and 'Bright Lights'. Today, the tomatoes, basil, parsley, and marigold seedlings. Also direct-sowed cucumbers, swiss chard, and Zinnias today. A little later than I would have liked, but better late than never.

Still to plant...Salvia, tropical milkweed, melampodium, and about 3 dozen daylily seedlings. :)

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

School is stressing me out, however, I was able to get most of the stuff planted. I have about 9 containers left and what's in my holding bed is just going to have to stay. I have very little room left. I'm squeezing plants here and there.

• northforker
    11 years ago

As the season progresses and perennials from the past few years come into full size, I am having to face the naked truth that I have very little real estate left for seedlings. My goal for this weekend is to squeeze in the last little bit I can get in there and then get a real plan together for giving away seedlings. I am tempted to make up mixed containers to place around, but I know from previous years of taking this "escape route" that the watering needs of anything under 1/2 barrel size will just cause me stress all summer.

I only have a few kinds of perennial seedlings left to get in, but they get to go to the front of the line in terms of planting. Next, the zinnias and cosmos I just can't do without for cut flowers. Right behind them is 2-3 kinds of nicotiana I've not grown before that I really want to grow and flower because I want to save seeds! Chocolate, pink sensation, one labeled "white" that is not the large sylvestris that I already have. A red baby Bella that I grew last year and really liked.I just remembered though that there are also a few kinds of feathered celosia I really wanted to try and have seedlings for. Oh, it's so hard to prioritize!

And then theres the eight 6" pots of castor bean that must go somewhere soon...the leaves are already 5 inches across. I know I had a plan for these when I seeded the pots, but for the life of me I can't remember!

And I want to take time away from planting to take some pictures. I finally figured out how to easily use the "image file upload" option to grab pictures from the "my pictures" area of microsoft on my computer, without having to use photo bucket or Picasa or any of the on-line services.

Yup, it's going to be a busy weekend!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting