Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hunk of seedlings--what if they all live??

Posted by lovesblooms z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 20:43

This is my first year wintersowing. I planted hundreds of hunks of seedlings and just about all my hunks are still hunks, growing together in gradually taller clumps. Do you hand-thin or just let them grow out...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hunk of seedlings--what if they all live??

Leave them be. They will be fine and "take care of themselves."

The strongest will survive, the others will "bite the dust". and sometimes they all survive and make a beautiful clump of perennial plants, larger than if they where individually planted and will be a real winner next year when they bloom.

Annual clumps look fuller and better planted close together.

From more than 10 years experience and remember my first year of HOS planting and thinking the same thing.

Fran

o

That was so soothing to hear, Fran, thank you. Even less to worry about with these nearly worry-free plants!

o

Planting 'hunks' is what makes WS so enjoyable. They will usually just fight it out until the strongest survive. Then, you have a garden of real soldiers!

o

Nope, no thinning here either. I let them fight it out and let the toughest survive, like so: photo CG3A3941.jpg
 photo CG3A3978.jpg

o

Gorgeous, Pit, and very reassurring! Things are growing like weeds here now (including weeds) with all the rain here over the past week.

What about tomatoes...?

o

I give away excess tomatoes though, and leave only one to grow. I do plant them very close. lol. I am greedy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here