Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladygladys

Wintersown Canterbury Bells

ladygladys
10 years ago

I am so proud of my wintersown Canterbury Bells! They were supposed to be the cup and saucer type but I have heard most come out single anyway. There are 2 more plants that have not bloomed yet. I am hoping I get a pink or white one as well!

Comments (13)

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Very pretty! Looks like a huge bloom! When were they sown? I haven't had anything bloom yet from last year's seedlings (first year wintersowing).

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

So pretty -- love Canterbury Bells. Still waiting on mine -- they're in a part sun spot so maybe they're behind.

• ladygladys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sowed these last year 2012. They created a rosette of leaves all summer long in 2012 and now bloomed in 2013. They are very easy to grow. I did plant them in the middle of my corncockle and bachelor buttons for support since I heard that they have a tendency to flop over. I do have them in full sun though but heard they can do quite well in part shade. Thanks for the compliments!

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I have some I sowed 2 years ago. I transplanted the rosettes to a new house in late fall, and they bloomed beautifully last spring. Right now they have a ton of flower buds on them. I can hardly wait. I had some purple, like yours, some white, and a very pale pink. Does anyone know how many years they continue to blossom? I thought they might be biennials, but here they are again.

Martha

• ladygladys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Martha,
    I did hear that they may last longer than 2 years. I think they might be like Rose Campion in regards to longevity. I hope mine return like yours did. I wintersowed more seeds just in case.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

I've heard they're biennial, but the ones I sowed a few years ago bloomed the next year and last year, too. I do sow them every year just in case. I'll plant this year's seedlings out when I get around to it so they're ready for next year. Plus, I think mine re-sowed themselves -- when I cleaned out the bed this year I had more than originally planted.

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Congratulations! They are pretty! Mine did not make it thru the winter? Glad to see pictures of it.

• drippy
    10 years ago

Nice! I love Canterbury bells.

• ladygladys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a wideshot of all my Canterbury Bells in bloom. No cup & saucer one but so gorgeous anyway!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Gorgeous for sure, like the various hues.

• granneeeeannie
    10 years ago

Love that blue color! I'm trying to get more blue in my garden and cup and saucer hadn't occurred to me.

(Which reminds me to collect seed from my one and only one balloon flower that germinated from a whole packet of seed years ago. For some reason it has never spawned any offspring.)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I summer sowed seeds from my Canterbury Bells and got fantastic germination. I'll wait til the weather cools down and then plant them out. Hopefully they'll survive the winter and have a head start for next year. The original plants gave up after flowering this year. It may have been the chipmunks or snakes or something that dug the dirt out from under them. LOL. At least I got seeds.

Martha

• ladygladys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I cut them back in mid July and would you believe they bloomed again! They did not put out tall stalks again just small ones. There are still unopened buds as we speak! I hope they survive the winter.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner