Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

My Lastest Garden Addition (Along With Some WS Plants!)

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Here is my new butterfly bush surrounded by all WS plants! There are nine.I have white and blue balloon flowers, Coreopsis grandiflora, black eyed susans (gloriosa daisy), clarkia (in bloom! upper left corner), pink hollyhocks, pearly everlasting, eastern penstemon and the last one I forgot (lol). Anyways, here is what it was transformed into. Enjoy!

Before

{{gwi:408340}}

{{gwi:408341}}

After

{{gwi:408342}}

Plus my WS milkweeds and ironweed (second from the right). {{gwi:408343}}

{{gwi:408344}}

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (11)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The other WS plant I couldn't remember is yellow scabiosa. Keeping my fingers crossed that they bloom!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Very cute Brad..

Lisa

• terrene
    12 years ago

What variety is your Buddleia? All your plants will probably be out-growing that Butterfly bush bed in no time!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lisa and Terrene!

Terrene, I'm not sure what variety it is. It wasn't labeled as a certain variety. The tag just said "Butterfly Bush" no cultivar name. I was wondering what kind it is myself lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Nice job Brad.

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I suspect the balloon flowers and coreopsis might be grand-seeds from my plants so of course I wish them long, healthy, happy & floriferous (sp?) blooming seasons in company with your butterfly bush. Looking forward to photos later in the season as they put on a show for you and the butterflies! Let me know if you want more butterfly bushes and I'll be glad to send you seed from mine. They are very enthusiastic WS candidates. The ones I grew from seed via WS last year are growing fast and I expect they'll really put on a show when the time is right.

Great job Brad!!

• terrene
    12 years ago

My Butterfly Bushes get 6-7 feet, and 4+ feet wide. It is amazing how fast they grow and how much real estate they will take up after being cut down to less than 1 foot high in the Spring. They are pretty old and established though. Yours may take a couple years to reach that size.

How did you work the soil in the garden? Have you heard about lasagne gardening aka sheet composting? I think it's one of the easiest ways to make a bed.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again, everyone!

Gardenweed, yes the coreopsis and balloon flowers did come from your seeds :). I will let you know about the butterfly bush seeds later on. I can always give some to friends too.

Terrene, we dug the hole, added the soil, placed the bush in, added more soil around it, then added the flower/veggie soil, then I planted the seedlings/plantlets. I've heard of lasagna gardening but I've never done it. I may have to try that sometime. I posted about this with my friends over at the hoya forum and one person said that theirs got to be 7-8 feet since they pruned them in April!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Brad. It's looking good.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Brad, is that the Clarkia to the far left. I DS'ed mine a week ago with alot of other seeds. Trying to see what it looks like? Are they close in relation to the Balsam Flower?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ladyrose, yes on the far left is the clarkia. The blooms are laying on top of the bricks. Look a little to the left of the top bloom on the butterfly bush. The flowers are mostly single blooms. They're in two different colors, pink and white, so far. I gave some to my neighbor and hers is blooming too. I don't know if they're related to the balsam flower or not. I think balsams are related to impatiens. Someone told me balsams are more like "impatiens for shade". Clarkias are supposed to get tall from what I understand, but I left them in the cups/ pots too long and they kinda got leggy. I'm still wanting them for next year though! They're doing beautifully!

Brad AKA Moonwolf