Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

Too much!!! Planting woes....

northforker
12 years ago

Hey it's the beginning of June and no one has started whining yet about the pressure to get the sprouts in the ground and not having enough time/space!!!! So I figured I'd start! :)

Here goes the usual...

WHAT was I thinking? I have no more room and the sprouts are seeking soil!

We are leaving on a two week trip to France in 9 days (woo woo~) and are exchanging homes with a French family. That means I must have everything in the beds as I can not expect them to water and tend containers.

I have over 25 containers and 10 flats of annnuals to get in the ground. Going to be a whole lot of plopping and running around here the next two days!

Anyone else feeling overwhelmed by the planting out?

Nancy

Comments (16)

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Planting out? How about weeding volunteers and mulching? I just finished that today, sweating to death in the heat. I've hardly planted anything. And it's going to be 90 degrees tomorrow.

I'm glad I didn't sow much this year. I'm really trying to thin out my flower beds, make them easier to maintain. This has become a full time job. I need easy.

Karen

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

I'm starting to consider the beauty of combining direct sowing with WS. I've got some calendula volunteers, so what if this year I just harvest hundreds of seeds to throw in the garden? I could wait until it's cold so squirrels,etc. don't eat them in the fall, and throw out the seeds right at the beginning of a big snowfall. The snow would cover the seeds, they'd work their way eventually into the ground, and I'd have calendulas next year. Maybe I could do that with a lot of seeds, like poppies and annual asters. Save the jugs for perennials and low-quantity seeds. Planting out does get to be the challenge now! I didn't even sow that many jugs this year!

My garden will double in size in a couple of weeks because of reclaimed area due to a building project. I guess then I'll be looking for more jugs so I can fill the space, and i'll wonder why i complained!

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

Nan,
    wonderful that you're going to France!

I was feeling overwhelmed - I always do at some point - about 2 weeks ago. I finally had to give away some sprouts ( I just hope they take good care of them).

I have got everything in except one container of lavender.
    whew.
    It is a big relief.

Take a deep breath and proceed day by day. You'll get it done. :)

enjoy France.

• jodie74
    12 years ago

Ok, I'll join in..... I have come to the realization I'll be planting out ALL SUMMER!!! My schedule is just so crazy right now with year end school stuff with my 4 kids that I barely am keeping up with the watering of my containers!! As long as I can keep them alive in their containers it's ok with me now that I have them all lined up on my brick retaining wall and not spread out all over my deck! A week ago I was freaking out cause it was time to open the pool and I had to get them off the pool deck and didn't know where to put 1500 containers!!! Hahaha. But then it hit me
    that I could put them along my brick wall all lined up and they are more neat and tidy. Exposed for all passers by to see but whatever.!.!....
    Tehee.

I am trying to look up each and every one before I plant out to get the sunlight and height correct on my database. That takes TIME! And I'm
    marking EVERYONE with a clear fork stuck into the ground. I write on the handle with a paint pen so every plant is clearly marked yet I can barely
    see the markers.

I have a system but it just takes time. I do SOOOOOO enjoy it though so I won't complain too much. I am trying to get my annuals planted first before they outgrow their container.

Slow and steady wins the race!!!

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

France, how wonderful, have a great and safe trip!!

I gave several seedlings to my sister along with a few containers. I have about 20 more to go. The heat has really put a hinderance on me. Today is a high of 98, and my ground is dry! I have been watching the weather closely, so if I can keep my plants alive till next friday I should be set to plant. Next sat is a chance of rain with sunday being even more of a chance and only a high of 88.

I will get it done, eventually!

• terrene
    12 years ago

I've planted out about half of WS seedlings at this point...there are still many more, and a few WS plants in pots from previous years. Also, I simply had to buy a few seedlings from my son's school plant sale; had to order some plants from the Bluestone sale. And then stopped at the nursery today to buy a pot to make a hanging plant and bought some Cascade Petunias and Salvia Black & Blue.

It is overwhelming, but I am enjoying it immensely at the same time. Someone stop me from getting more plants please!! (Oh scratch that, have a plant swap to go to on June 18th).

Enjoy your trip to France, Nan.

Deanna, I harvested a few Lupine pods last fall and scattered them in the xeric garden where I wanted some seedlings. It worked great! Lots of little Lupine seedlings this Spring.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I hear you Nan,

I've WS's way too many. I gave some to my Sister-in-Law. My Niece and Nephew opened the containers and smashed the seedlings.

I've decided to make MASH pots because we seem to be getting skimped on the rain.

• drippy
    12 years ago

I'm with Terrene - I just got the datura planted out that I wintered over from last year. I have managed to give away a few of my seedlings - it's a great way to meet my neighbors!

I might get done planting out if I would stop sowing - just started some new seeds today!

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

Very overwhelmed here. I thought I was alone.
    I have plants that are flowering in their containers. Some that seriously need to be divided.

What was I thinking?

Yikes

• northforker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I managed to get one large bed weed free today and plunk in Larkspur, pocketbook plant, Browallia, foxglove, petunias seeedlings and then some plants that arrived in my bluestone order.

Thanks for all the good wishes for France! I am going to have to come inside and get organized this week!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    12 years ago

I envy your problem and wish you a safe trip. If you need a French translator, I am willing to fit in your suitcase... :O)

No sprouts to plant this year but I just spent 5 wonderful days with my parents cleaning and extending and adding to a butterfly garden on their property in memory of my brother who lost a battle to cancer last Sunday. In the next couple of weeks we will be looking for an Adirondack chair to place in the middle of it, next to a tree stump which will serve as a little table. Definitely his style. I know I'll be spending time there this summer. :O)

Again, have a great trip and enjoy the French gardens!!

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

tiffy, I am so sorry about your brother.

Karen

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Tiffy, the garden will be a nice way to remember your brother!

I only sowed 77 containers this year but am having a hard time getting them in the ground. I have the usual problem of needing to weed, edge and mulch first. So I am completing one garden at a time. But I have a hard time getting down on my hands and knees. I can shovel dirt, edge and mulch for hours like the crazy woman I am, but I seem to wear out too quickly planting seedlings. I did buy the folding kneeler/stool from Lee Valley this year and LOVE IT! It makes it so much easier to get up and down Most of my pots are root bound so I am trying to hurry. Gave them a really good soaking yesterday and will keep plugging along today.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Bev I am totally with you little lady!! I can weed plunk and chunk like a mad woman, but when it comes to planting I don't know why it tends to wear me out also. I plant 20 containers and I feel like I did a full days labor then when I think about some of the others that sowed so many I think how in the world do they do it!!

Maybe cause we are using so much brain power to contemplate what our beauties are going to look like full grown next to everything else??

• dirtbert
    12 years ago

I used to worry about getting the gardens all just right, weeded, mulched, any seedlings planted out. Then once, just once, I had a moment of panic (mind you this was a long time ago when I had much less garden to maintain). I was all "caught up" nothing to do in the garden. For about three minutes I think I had a serious anxiety attack, then I found some weeds to pull and all was right in the world again. So I decided right then and there, finishing was never going to be an option when it came to gardening ;)

And I'm also thinking "what was I thinking" when I look at all these containers I need to plant out...LOL

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

My Condolences Tiffy. Sounds like your making a beautiful memorial in his honor.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21