Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

OK, put a fork in me, I'm done...

northforker
11 years ago

As the heat goes up, my energy for gardening goes down. Way down. I know some of you garden all the time in scorching weather, but I just can't take it. I'm out there an hour and I feel like a fried egg.

I'm out of real estate to plant in, I'm pawning off seedlings on anyone that comes by, I'm packing up my pots and containers into big bags for the shed - I WILL NOT start any more seeds!

I will try to pull out weed seed heads (cause you just pay for it the next year if you don't..)as I stroll, but I feel very done with the hours on my scooter cart maintaining weed free beds. It's pretty tightly planted out there so, hopefully, there won't be too many reseeding weeds.

The gardens look good, seems so much is in bloom that I worry what will be left by August...

My Rudbeckia Goldstrum has NEVER bloomed before July (usually not till the very end of July) and it looks like it's going to pop any minute. Yet any annuals I've planted seem to be growing more slowly than in previous years. All very strange.

How is everyone else holding up?

Nancy (who is going to spend time reading a book either in A/c or water tomorrow!)

Comments (8)

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Hello Nan, how are you? I feel the same. I am still in hotflash stage of menopause, therefore, the heat and I don't mix. I just go outside and take pictures. Everything is blooming even the sunflowers and cosmos. It's too hot for me to be digging and I have no room left. Just enjoying what I have done.

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

It's too brutal for me. Storms knocked out power Friday night, so yesterday we had no air and 100�. Power came back last night (Saturday). I'm not leaving my cool house for anything.

Karen

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

Feel the same here! It's been scorching hot so i'm practically ignoring the gardens aside from the sprinklers i have going around the clock. Everything looks full and fantastic! With the kids on summer break we're in the lake by 10 a.m. til dusk. :)

• pippi21
    11 years ago

It was anaother scorcher today and I waited till after dinner to go out and try to collect rose campion seeds from the two plants I have. It was loaded with flowers this Spring. The humidity was unbearable; I was glad when a neighbor walked up to get me to sign a document for her. Temps reached 98 today..
    I did my watering by sprinkling can today.

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

Your temperatures are even hotter than mine, and I find I have two gardening windows: 6-7a.m. and 8-9 p.m. I cannot tolerate being in the full sun, and when the humidity climbs, I hide indoors. Did a little digging tonight - I still have a few perennials to put in, but everything that is blooming is lovely. I am also taking lots of pictures. Hope this will pass soon.

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

This our fifth or sixth day of 100-110 degree temps and abotu a month with zero rain. On work days, I garden from about 6-7:30 am and about 7-10 on weekends and then about 7:30-9:00 in the evenings. I'd probably push it farther but am pregnant and just don't want to try my luck. And I'm gardening at those hours in little clothing as possible and a huge sopping wet towel around my neck or over my head. Mostly I am just trying to keep the watering up. However, zuchinni and green beans are coming on so I'll have to start harvest this week. Thank god for A/C in my house.

• northforker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AAaaaaaagh, the watering in the heat.

A few years after I began WSing, I had a couple of weepy breakdowns after spending every night after work moving sprinklers around for hours trying to keep "baby sprouts" alive. My husband suggested we look into irrigation - he just couldn't stand the drama anymore.( I think he might have also been looking for the occastional cooked dinner..)The first quote we got was mind boggling, but the third guy needed the work and was just starting out and I received the system (some sprinklers, some drip) for my birthday that July. Best present EVER. I still have to water some planters and pots that are not in the system, but the majority of beds are taken care of. I can't think of anything better for the WSer to have on their wish list.For less money, you can run sprinklers from hoses on timers too.

If it is at all possible to cut back on something else less important (monthly cable bills, fancy cars, ?) and get some help with the watering - DO IT!

Now all I need is an automatic weeder.....

• pippi21
    11 years ago

Nancy..I'm filling the same way this summer. I try to get out there early since I'm an early riser but I can't make a lot of noise because I don't want to disturb my neighbors. I decided we had been cooped up here in the house since Sunday and we needed a change of scenery. Drove to shopping center 15 miles away that has Walmart, Target, Michael's, Home Depot, Giant and my favorite Dress Barn Woman..DH is a diabetic and diabetics can't tolerate the heat..He was okay in WM, come out and we drove over to HD and was in the garden shop for about 15 min. and his face started showing signs of stress and he was really minding it. He said he felt like he was going to pass out. Asked him if he wanted me to stop for something to eat. No, go on home. He got in the house and went straight to bed. I made him drink water and also take his BS..and made him lunch so it was high after lunch. BLT sandwich and chips..so it was 294..he should have taken the BS before he ate. I think until all these 90 plus days go away, he'll have to stay home in the A/C..When the temps get high 80's when I've been out working for a few hours..in I come for the rest of the day. All this high temps makes me wonder if we are in for a really bad winter..This year was so mild, you hardly knew it was winter, with exception of maybe 2 weeks..

Sponsored