Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

When Do I Harvest Viola Seeds?

I have a bunch of violas that are setting seed like crazy right now. But when I look for seedpods with ripe seeds, they've already opened and spilled their seeds. There are green seedpods, greenish-yellowish (but not dried out) seedpods, and... empty seedpods.

Should I harvest the greenish-yellowish seedpods and let them dry out in a paper bag? Or will the seeds still be immature?

Thanks,

Lois in PA

Comments (5)

• trudi_d
    11 years ago

If the pods are greenish yellow they are still immature. Wait a few weeks more, the stem will brown and that pod will lose the yellow tint and become lighter then tannish in tone. When you see the end of the pod begin to just slightly open it is safe to collect. Let it dry a few days more then the seeds can come out.

• bakemom_gw
    11 years ago

You have to catch them early and quickly. Follow Trudi's and mother natures cues - when the pod starts to open it's jiffy pop time.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Problem is that when the pods open, it's too late. I found a reference that said the pods are about a day away from popping when they start looking up instead of down. So I harvested all the pods that were facing up, and listened to them pop in the envelope all night. The seeds were brown and not white, so I think this method will work for me.

Thanks for your input, though, and I am very happy to have tons of johnny jump up seeds now!

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

hey thanks for that tip, i'm having this same issue. i have been collecting them and then some of them will be nice dark tan, and some will be too white. well getting the hang of it, but totally i keep missing them, go back and they are already popped, waiting too long.

i was just reading that some people put bags over them to catch them. like those gift bags that are mesh like.

this is worth a try, i am thinking about a piece of fabric, cardboard or even a small temp piece of plastic underneath them to catch the seeds when they spit them out.

they sure do go from under ripe to gone very quickly..

the harvest i have been getting end up being mostly done seeds an some white ones. the seeds are way to small to sort out the immature ones...ahhh i will get the hang of it. trial and error....is basically how i got better at gardening, so experimenting =) here.

i'll keep in mind they look up and face skyward before they totally pop =)
    i think this will help.

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

ok gonna try some pictures here. hope i can get this to work.

found a seed pod today which had opened up, but not dropped its seeds yet =) gotta be quick to get those.
    yesterday, looked like they werent quite ready.

(hope i can get to post! pics)
    {{gwi:409205}}

{{gwi:409206}}

feeling like sharing, since i got inspired to try this, putting bags over the seed pods and tops of the plants.

i also noticed several today had turned their seed heads to face upwards and high. those still look a bit light colored, though....but i thought about harvesting them.

started to get the sense they might be viable even a little under done? not sure, but really got that sense thinking about it today.

anywho this is better, maybe?? except awkward.... put bags over the viola seed pods to collect the seeds.

{{gwi:409207}}

wont do it all the time, but i am thinking this is a good trick to try out =)
    well got inspired to take some pics, felt moved to share =)

Sponsored