Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Yesterday's gardens - Part 2 - More photos.

tiffy_z5_6_can
15 years ago

As promised, here's the second instalment.

The following garden was created last mid-August. Before then, it was all lawn. There will be more lawn taken in this area later in the year. At least 80% of the plants in this bed are winter sown and include 4 Buddleias, Heliopsis Summer Sun, Foxglove, Lavender (Pink and White), Potentilla Helen Jane, Asclepias Tuberosa, Tagetes, Red Lupines (from this year), etc. Just waiting for blooms! This garden is seen from the kitchen window...

{{gwi:409396}}

Here's another garden in the making. It's got the 'bone' plants and now it's just a matter of snuffing the lawn in this area and planting some winter sown babies from last winter. I see potential!!!

{{gwi:409397}}

Right when you come into the driveway, you see the Japanese Quince propagated by my mother surrounded by Hostas which were winter sown. They are on their third year.

{{gwi:409398}}

A few steps away...

{{gwi:409399}}

A couple more steps and a bit of a turn and you are well into the hosta gardens. The deers haven't been here yet.

{{gwi:409400}}

A little closer. The Meadow Rue (Thalictrum) is always beautiful at this time of year as are the native ferns among the hostas. All hostas were given as gifts or divisions from friends, or rescued.

{{gwi:202460}}

Turn a little bit and you'll see the hosta gardens melding into more perennial gardens.

{{gwi:409401}}

Coming out of the hosta gardens are beds with winter sown Astilbes and other plants bought and given such as Phlox Paniculata, Crazy Daisy, Saponaria, Monarda Jacob Cline, etc. There are so many buds on lots of these plants right now but I do enjoy the greens!

{{gwi:409403}}

Next is the Whale's Back garden. You can see the huge boulder behind the plants, hence the name. The huge leaved plant is Inula Goliath winter sown 2002/2003. This bed also includes a Buddleia (yearling) and other various winter sown plants. The lime green plant in the front is a shrub, a variegated Forsythia. Some branches are being layered for rooting.

{{gwi:409405}}

Allium Sicilian Honey Garlic about to bloom.

{{gwi:409407}}

At a right angle is a new garden bed. (You can see the corner Inula Goliath at the back.) Originally, this was an area for winter composting, then a holding bed, and now holds winter sown Penstemon, Perennial Poppies red, Geranium Purple Heron, Siberian Wallflowers, LOTS of foxgloves, Columbines, Joe Pye Weed, etc. The variegated Wiegela was another rooted cutting from my mother. :O) You'll note the huge logs behind the garden - it's being expanded later this year to those logs adding another 3 feet in depth.

{{gwi:409409}}

Last, but not least, is the holding bed which has been filled with Dahlias a friend was going to throw away and various winter sown plants from this year including Echinaceas, Amaranths, Asclepias Curassavica, KMOTGG, Sunflowers, Tagetes, Cosmos, etc. I'm excited about this one and am looking forward to seeing it in August. :O)

{{gwi:409412}}

OK, I'm done. Anyone up for a cup of tea??

Comments (16)

• PVick
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow. Your gardens must be absolute heaven when everything is in bloom, but I love the green look of it too.

I am truly in awe - at your plant combinations, your rock placements, all of it - but especially the WORK you have put into it. It is all so lush and so CLEAN. I know you've got to be proud of your efforts, and very rightfully so.

Kudos to you.

And thank you for sharing it. I will sleep tonight with your gardens in my dreams.

PV

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

I love your posts of your garden pics!!.........but I would really love to be having that cup of tea while sitting in your garden!!:)
    just beautiful
    gg

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Ooooooooo everything is so pretty and I like all the lush greens too! Can't believe those 3 year old Hosta were so tiny back then....there sure were cute, but now they are lovely!!

Thanks for sharing it all with us :)

Vera

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I remember the Whale's Back garden from last year, such a good name. Look forward to seeing the new beds as you continue.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PV,

A lot of those rocks were placed here millions of years ago. :O) Some must have been moved to build the house way before we got here in 2001. The house was built in 1980. I have great fun working around them.

gg,
    Anytime! If you find yourself in the Maritimes, just drop me a line.

Those hostas sure have grown Vera. There's a couple in the back that are huge - just like their mama Hosta Francis William. No variegation, but good ridging and really thick leaves. Some are bluish too.

mnwsgal,

It's nice of you to remember this garden. I'll be posting more photos later in the season. :O) Haven't cleaned out the Whale's Back yet and there's more winter sown plants going in there in the next few days.

• lblack61
    15 years ago

The organization of your beds is giving me chills. So beautiful...You are inspiring me.
    Any chance you will be able trade seeds for the Allium Honey Garlic and the Inula?
    (I think I need to get my seeds and trade list in order...I sense a big trade year for me)

Linda

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

Tiffy, I had to go grab my husband to show him what I want at the edge of our woods. Love your garden and the hostas are stunning.
    Jill

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jill,

Hope you have a hubby who likes to garden. I don't but that's OK. He is good for digging holes when I bring a shrub home and I have been sneaking in the occasional garden chore. We also compliment each other in that I am messy. I'll throw all the weeds on the lawn, leave buckets and shovels about, and the 200 ft hose all over. DH quietly goes about behind me and picks them up every once in a while. :O)

All depending on the season, those (hosta gardens) are my favourite. You can't see them unless you are right there and sometimes I bring the rocker and set it on one of the stones and close my eyes. I've been known to fall asleep there.

Linda,

I bought those Alliums last fall and will have to search for the seeds when they ripen. Shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you have room for the Inula. For one plant you need minimum 4 feet in diameter. I just noticed today that they reseeded and I'm placing all the new ones off to the side. El Gigantico garden coming up!! Now to go dig up another patch of lawn...

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

Tiffy . I busted out laughing about you throwing the weeds in the yard leaving the hose out my husband was trying to be nice today about my throwing weeds in the yard saying does that just kead to more weeds. lol
    Jill

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

Wonderful as usual. I'd love to spend a day in your gardens - it would be heavenly. All the beautiful greens are so calming. I see your WS'd Hostas are coming along quite nicely. I think I WS'd some the same year. Mine all turned out to be 'blue' Hostas which I put into the ground last year. I did a trial with two - proved that they could withstand 'wet' feet, by planting them under my large lilac which is under water for several weeks in the spring. I gave one away to a friend. Two others, which are in quite deep shade are sending up scapes already. It will be interesting to see if they are fertile. Mine all flower but I discovered last year that only one sets seed - Yellow River. The sun is on its way up - after two days of rain there's bound to be lots of surprises.
    Northerner.

• PVick
    15 years ago

Here's part 2 ....

• carrie630
    15 years ago

Always love your gardens!! Thanks for these photos - so gorgeous

Carrie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Tiffy,

The gardens are beautiful! I'm so sorry that i gave away all my hosta seeds after seeing how pretty yours are.

I would love to trade for some of that giant inula if you still have seeds or anytime in the future should you harvest more.

Lisa

• chitownladyd
    15 years ago

Tiffy,
    All right I better pick my jaw up off the floor again. LOL

You're absolutely right on PV, Tiffy's gardens are what our dreams are made of! Such beauty, I can only imagine the beds in the midst of bloom (although I also like the green and lush look of the foliage). You've been a very busy bee.

These days of economic gloom & doom makes me appreciate our task of making our corner of the world more fabulous one hosta and butterfly bush at a time.

You grow girl!!

La Donna

• karendee
    15 years ago

Tiffy, the gardens are so pretty!!!

The rocks look great too, they are in the right places! I would love to add rocks also but I always make them look out of place. yours look great in the beds you really worked around them well!

Karen

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Very pretty as always...Love it...

Sponsored