Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hepatica_z7

Larkspur trick

hepatica_z7
12 years ago

This really belongs in the annuals forum I imagine, but this forum is so busy, friendly, and "out of the box" that I expect the interest will be greater here.

I sow Larkspur, or it sows itself, in mid fall around here. (WS does not work for this plant, in my experience. It hates to be transplanted.) In rich garden soil and our warm springs, it gets VERY tall. Lovely, but it tends to dominate a bed. This year, a few volunteers in the front of some beds got knocked down when they were well grown, but before they flowered. The plant then sent up many 12-18" stems along the main stem. Not only is the size just right, but they seem to be blooming longer and looking more vigorous than the other volunteers. I do deadhead faithfully because I just love these flowers. One of them wove itself among some short dayliles and looked stunning.

I know, I should post a pic, but DH, my techie, is busy!

Now my goal is to figure out how and when to do this on purpose next year.

Thanks to all of you, I continue to enjoy many perennials--and annuals--that were always hard to start before. Thank you

Hepatica

Comments (10)

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

ohhh,,,, that IS an interesting trick.. Thanks
    I hope your Tech Dept aka Hubby can post a pic soon.!! ( in the New England forum there is a tutorial on pic posting if YOU want to give it a shot.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    12 years ago

I agree that yours is an interesting idea. I be watching for pictures too.

mao

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I've seen other plants in my garden that fall over do the same thing. I think it would be interesting to do it on purpose. Looking forward to a picture too.

• hepatica_z7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You all can keep hoping for that picture. Our computer goes through so many iterations that I don't even know how to download a picture from the camera anymore. Aghhh. I just can't keep up!

I'm sort of keeping up with the weeds, watering (dragging gray water out from the house in buckets no less), and a six year old though, not to mention two baby grandchildren. I do like how encouraging you all are. At least I should GET a picture on the camera since you are all so nice about it.

Bev, what other plants have done that for you?

Hepatica

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I believe the cosmos and marigolds have done it. I'll watch for it this year and get a picture. (I say this foolishly confidently...considering I have the same problem you have.) My husband puts a program on the computer to handle photos, I learn it and next thing the program is gone. I'm going to find the disk that came with my camera,load it onto my laptop and stop depending on the family computer. There are so many pictures I have wanted to load for various posts and I haven't. I feel so guilty since I enjoy everyone's pictures so much and I appreciate the effort they put into it.

• hepatica_z7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We sound like birds of a feather, bev! Thanks for the follow up

Hepatica

• pippi21
    12 years ago

This might seem like a stupid question to ask, but how do you deadhead the larkspur plant? This is my first year growing it and lupine so I am not familiar with its growing habits or really not much about them.

• hepatica_z7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pippi, you will see pointy green seed pods forming, starting at the bottom of each flower stalk. (The flower buds are rounded at the tips, and have a little spur behind them when they are closer to opening.) Just cut off the finished flower stalk below the first seed pod. You can pinch them, but it's hard on the fingernails! In the hot weather, you need to do it every day or two.

Are you in Silver Spring MD? I thought that was zone 7, so perhaps you are in another Silver Spring.

Enjoy these wonderful flowers. You might want to save a few seeds for next year

Hepatica

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Hepatica, here is a maltese cross growing sideways for you! (With a little lupine thrown in.)

{{gwi:409537}}

{{gwi:409539}}

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I figured out how to gather the larkspur seeds after reading your posted message. I sowed some over a month ago from a pkt. I had. Do they take a long time to germinate or prefer cooler weather? I've been keeping them watered. I scattered even more over same area from the ones that I found in the pods. Will look for more tomorrow.

As far as zones..yes, I am in SS, Md. but I have got mixed zone information from different websites and catalogs. I set up my profile originally as Zone 7, then saw another website that told me Zone 6b..so I changed it. I think I will go by USDA..

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm