Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

OT - Perennials that Rebloom?

drippy
16 years ago

I tried searching this on the net, and the first several sites I tried told me "many perennials will rebloom if cut back". Since I am heavily into seed collecting, but would love to get a second flush of blooms if I can, I'd like to know which ones to cut back and which ones to leave alone.

Here's what I've got going now:

armeria (sea thrift)

baptisia australis (blue false indigo)

digitalis (foxglove)

aquilegias, lots (columbines)

amsonia tabernaemontana (blue star)

penstemon - I think it is Rondo mix

phlox paniculata

chrysanthemum coccinea (painted daisy)

geraniums

polemonium pauciflorum

And please tell me what others you've had good luck cutting back that have rebloomed for you. I would assume this would somewhat depend on zone; I'm in zone 6.

TIA,

Kim

Comments (8)

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Salvia
    Nepata

• bonnys
    16 years ago

My "The Chatelaine" lupines will bloom again after cutting. They really have a nice long bloom time. I intend to get seeds from them this fall.
    Bonny

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Lupines
    Phlox Paniculata
    Rudbeckias
    Echinaceas
    Perennial Geraniums (not the big root ones)
    Centaurea Montana
    Digitalis
    Achillea

Of your list, the only ones I have experience with are Phlox, Digitalis, and Geraniums. I'll be trying the Penstemon this year, and maybe the Amsonia. Just don't want you to think that because some are not on the list I gave you that they don't rebloom. :O)

• spartangardener
    16 years ago

I'm very interested in this thread, because I haven't had great luck getting things to rebloom. The things that do for me here in zone 4 are:

delphiniums ( these work pretty well)
    roses
    rudbeckias
    echinaceas (to a limited extent)
    veronica
    phlox (if we have a long fall)
    nepeta ( everyone loves this plant, and claim that it blooms almost incessantly. Me, not so much, but it will rebloom a little for me)

Also, some irises bloom twice a year - I have one of the varieties taht supposedly does, but it doesn't seem to like its location very much. And of course Stellas bloom more than once...

I've seen rhododendrons blooming in the fall and we've had crabapples bloom here in the fall too.

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Nepeta.

I would be interested in hearing if it works on the Amsonia. I haven't tried that because the foliage and seed pods are so nice. Interesting thread.

• paulan70
    16 years ago

I know that if I deadhead my roses there is often another set of blooms. And my columbine is on its second bloom after I dead headed it. I would like some seeds from my plants but I prefer right now to have the flowers so I will leave the last blooms of the fall for the seeds. Now I cn only hope that I can save the seeds unless mother nature beats me to them.

Paula

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Do you deadhead your lupins and foxglove to get them to bloom twice in a season? I was hoping to get some seeds from them so wondered if I let the flowers go to seed that would prevent them from a second bloom.

As for my pernnials that rebloom

Dianthis firewitch
    several of my columbine, especially the origami series

Fran

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

Salvia officinalis
    Dianthus
    Lavender
    Delphinium
    Hollyhock...but then I pick the forming pods so no seed set
    Nepeta
    Thyme (upright and creeping)
    Blue Flax
    Alyssum saxitile 'Gold Dust'
    Digitalis ambigua

I have the common species Nepeta mussinii and these will re-bloom at least 2 more times for me before the hard frosts...I cut them back hard each time and they are so quick to rebound :D
    The Echinacea and Rudbeckia for me have such a long blooming season I've had no need to cut back for re-bloom.
    Monarda I leave be if I want to harvest seed...at least the M. fistulosa doesn't have mature seed until around October!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living