Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachgrub

any big disappointers this year?

beachgrub
11 years ago

So, of course, we all have hiiiiigh hopes for our little ws babies in the early spring. We anticipate their stellar performance, daydream of their blooms blowing delicately in the summer breeze (this isn't just me, right?). Have any of you had any major disappointments this season?

I have a couple. My sole surviving agastache golden jubilee hasn't budged in height (still an inch tall), damn. And my black eyed susan vine is JUST FINALLY sprawling out. Sheesh! Take your sweet time!

Comments (24)

• emcd124
    11 years ago

ugh, I'm one downtrodden gardener right now. four of my six WS tomato plants have at least one disease, some of them have two separate issues. The lettuce and kale that I WSed went to seed in like march when we got 80 degree weather and so I had to replant by direct sowing later. Dang rabbits ate all my peas and then got in and ate my pepper plants down to nubbins. No peas, no peppers. My garden looks like a war zone, with everything in a protective cage of chicken wire to keep rabbits out. Purple pole beans and runner beans finally taking off (had to replant them after rabbits ate the first ones) but still no bean pods, and possibly with some disease starting on the bottom.

I also wintersowed four kinds of flowers, only two came up and both died in the hot snap we had. (dramatic sigh). I know my garden enthusiasm will be back soon, but I'm having a little self indulgent sulk about how poorly things seem to be doing this year. Between the crazy weather and my novice ineptitude, my poor plants!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Yes, it has been a hard season this year - first too hot in February and March, then a too cool April, a rainy May, and now a very dry summer. Many things have either burned or frozen to death, or died from flooding or drought, lol!

My biggest disappointment this year is my rudbeckias. They are usually easy and wonderful. This year, most of them are still about two inches tall! What's up with that? Thank goodness I had a bumper crop of self-seeders and returnees to put on a wonderful show. That show is almost over, so I'm hoping this years WSown crops gets a move on.

My zinnias and marigolds aren't too far ahead of the darn rudbeckias, (most of them being leaning, one-stem wonders) but at least they have put on some growth, a few blooms, and with deadheading, hopefully will branch out a bit and continue to bloom.

Dee

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

It has been a very hard year for us up here too. We are actually in a drought. My lettuce and spinach went to seed in the very hot weather before I could harvest any. This year, I WS'd parsley, put the plants in, and they were completely eaten by earwigs overnight. We had lots of them this year. Also ate most of my petunias, zinnias. Now striped cucumber beetles are eating my zucchini, cukes, and melons. All the vines are full of blossoms, but I fear they will get the wilt before they mature. But my Rudbeckias are great, so are my lychnis (3 varieties), my perennial coneflower, and my toms. and peppers are coming along well. My pole beans are very slow. I plan to re-sow a few things for fall: maybe lettuce, spinach, and a few cukes. BTW I had a great harvest of hard neck garlic, first time growing it. So it's not all bad.

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Rough year here too, seedlings either fried from the heat or stunted. Doing battle with the evil ninja squirrels, they are eating everything in the veggie bed and uprooting my flowers. In all my years of winter sowing this is the worst so far.

• northforker
    11 years ago

Disease and insect pressure is high here too. My early rudbeckias (can't remember the variety, but it self seeds nicely for years)have mostly been wiped out by what looks like a powdery mildew after only a week or two of blooming. I've never seen the leaves of almost everything in the garden effected by chewing insects as much as this year. And then there is the weird "annuals won't grow" phenomenon that others have discussed - So many petunias, mellies, zinnias still so small.

Something that did grow but I am disappointed in is nicotianna chocolate. I'd wanted to try it for years and I am UNDERwhelmed - shorter and less flowers than I thought, also flowers are not a great red, sort of dull.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Yes, I got some 'Thai Silk' poppies the flower is so small. Ridculous. Not impressed.

• dorisl
    11 years ago

Disappoined in the drought thats for sure.

Ive got rudbeckia and echinea both "blooming" without flower petals, jsut the middles. Whats up with that. I dunno if its drought stress, freak hybrid inbreeding or some disease.

Ill give them some time before I yank em.

• beachgrub
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wandering around the garden the other day and spotted the tennessee coneflower sprouts (using term loosely!) I forgot about because they're so small!! They're still only about an inch for goodness sakes! They're in full sun, get lots of water and still- total crap. They had BETTER be back next year and do SOMETHING for me.

• northforker
    11 years ago

All I can say is that I am thankful that my gardens have all my previous years WS plants becasue this year - - not so good! I love zinnias and bought many different kinds of packaged seed varieties. They all seem puny to me this year. Mellies are just not growing. The profusion zinnias (the one and only zinnia seed I save because it does come true) are finally starting to branch out a bit, but it feels so late!

• bakemom_gw
    11 years ago

4:00s
    Datura
    Rud Burpeii - what the hell happend to them?
    Ditto Burgundy Rudbackia. jeesh.
    Mullein....really?
    Verbena bonariensis....come on!

I'm worn out.

• doubleAmom
    11 years ago

Unlike the majority here, my ws plants have exceeded all expectations! The cleome are beautiful, my datura is a monster (see previous post) and the coneflowers are coming along nicely. Zinnias are branching and blooming nicely and filling in the empty spaces nicely. The one thing that I could not get to grow was rose campion. Have no idea what was up with that! the 4 o'clocks still have not bloomed. Lots of flower buds but I thought they'd be in bloom by now! Also, sweet annie disappointed me. I thought it was supposed to get really big but it's only a foot tall and really thin. I planted it where I wanted some screening thinking it was going to grow and grow...no luck with that one either!

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

Terrible year. Heat and severe drought worse than I've ever seen. All I do is water, it's too hot to do anything else.

IT'S SO HOT in Ohio and Indiana
    .....the birds have to use potholders to pull the worms out of the ground.
    .....the trees are whistling for the dogs.
    .....the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance
    .....hot water comes from both taps.
    .....you can make sun tea instantly.
    .....you learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.
    .....the temperature drops below 90 F and you feel a little chilly.
    .....you discover that in July it only takes two fingers to steer your car (one on each hand).
    .....you discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.
    .....you actually burn your hand opening the car door.
    .....you break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 5:30 A.M.
    .....your biggest motorcycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death"?
    .....you realize that asphalt has a liquid stage.
    .....the potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and add butter.
    .....the cows are giving evaporated milk.
    .....farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs.
    IT'S SO DRY in Ohio and Indiana that the Baptists are starting to baptize by sprinkling, the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians are giving rain checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back into water!

• duane456
    11 years ago

kqcrna-----lol

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I moved into a shady yard and had sown multiple containers of many-colored foxglove seeds. I had great germination, but every plant, including the three mature ones I already had, have shriveled and died in this heat. I watered faithfully, but it still wasn't enough. So, I'll have to wait another two years for foxglove blooms.

Martha

• LilBlossom
    11 years ago

Cucumbers and Watermelons for me. The seedlings keep being eaten. I'm going to give it one last effort, covering the plants and all, and if not, try again next year...

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Terrible year. First the drought and heat and then a tornado. Still doing battle with rotten squirrels. Next year will be better....

• drippy
    11 years ago

I was my own worst enemy, although the weather didn't help much. I left my garden behind for a month while throwing a wedding for my daughter. When I came back, most of it was pretty dead, except, of course, for the weeds - which apparently flourish quite well in high heat with no rain.

As they say in Red Sox Nation, "There's always next year."

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

On the first of July our water bill went up $1000 per year even if we don't use a drop. Something to do with a bond issue.

So, the big disappointment this year is any plans for next year that require water must be reconsidered. We are going to extend a xeriscape to cover the 25X50 foot patch of grass we had out back. Less variety in the annuals.

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

Its been a medium gardening year here.. not the greatest , not the worst.

We were extremely dry and hot in july, no rain for about 4 weeks, not even thundershowers, but since august that has changed, still kind of humid out, but most days temps are only in the 80s now and we have had like 4 inches of rain this month already. So no complaints on that end.

What threw it off for me was the april warm up, then the devasting cold may.. it was one of the coldest on record here.. then on top of that the extremely warm early summer. So it all was kind of wacky. Like other said, previous years wintersowing plants were fine for the most part and life moves on to next years plans.

Silverkelt

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Like drippy, I'm my own worst enemy. Most of mine I didn't get planted and they got burned by the heat. Some I still have in jugs and are thriving, like my garlic chives. I just planted too much this year and it bums me out. The ones I gave to my sister died as well, since they didn't keep them watered like they were supposed to. What I did get planted is doing beautifully.

I agree with you all, this weather has been very wacky, but I'm thankful for this cool spell and the rain we've been getting lately.

Forgive me for being absent lately, just life's been keeping my busy.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tempusflits
    11 years ago

Between the heat and drought, the garden was a disaster this year. Many things look dead or in the process of getting there. But yesterday, I bought a bag of potting mix to begin again come January. Winter sowing rocks! Plus, I'm stubborn.

• KavaDulce
    11 years ago

Glad I got to read this. This being my first year, I just assumed I was the worst WS'er EVER, ha. I had excellent germination, but only one variety actually grew. I have an "amazing" garden filled with healthy one inch tall plants, ha. Pretty underwhelming in September. Knowing that it wasn't just me gives me enough hope to try again next year. :)

Karla

• drippy
    11 years ago

If you planted perennials, Karla, you are in for a surprise. They may even look as if they are not going to make it at all, but wait 'til next year!

• vajeff
    11 years ago

Polemonium caeruleum and polemonium pauciflorum did great at first, and then they started to gradually die off one at a time. There are only two plants left. One caeruleum that's knocking on death's door and a pauciflorum that's starting to look sickly.

Of all the varieties of columbine (over 6) not a single one survived. Less than half the seeds sprouted and refused to grow more than an inch at most. I don't know what happened there. Peat pellets worked before. Will have to try again.

Bells of Ireland did great at first but grew far too fast and started to fall over before they could be transplanted. They did bloom, but it wasn't anything of interest. Did manage to collect a few seeds.

Carnations: all of them became leggy (in the sun) and the majority died.

Dianthus "Sooty": a handful survived, but now random branches are starting to wither. Didn't bloom.

Liatris: never germinated.
    Clematis: no germination.
    Dicentra: two varieties did not germinate.
    Gaillardia: all but two from two varieties bit the dust
    Asclepias: some varieties refused to germinate

Blackberry Lily: not quite disappointing, but now I have far too many of these and no idea what to do with them!

Poppies: several varieties. Never have any luck with these. They sprouted and that's that.

Japanese Barberry: not a thing. Disappointing.

Hosta: very disappointing. Germinated and then sat there- wouldn't grow at all... and then I forgot about them and they dried up.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner