Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

Finding salvia seeds

kqcrna
15 years ago

I distributed almost 100 packs of Yvonne's Salvia seeds last year. All I asked in return was that you save your seeds to share with others, and I hope a lot of folks do that. The question of finding and saving seeds has already come up. Here are some pictures of immature seeds. They are the little white bumps inside each bract. When mature they will turn black from the bottom of the stem upward.

{{gwi:412702}}

{{gwi:412705}}

{{gwi:412707}}

Remember, they're not mature until they turn black.

Karen

Comments (16)

• gnomey
    15 years ago

That's a pretty plant! Hope there are some seeds circulating :)

• wantie
    15 years ago

Thanks Karen.

I've been wondering about that.

Are the pictures of your Yvonne's Salvia this year?

Mine aren't very tall yet, and not blooming either.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wantie: Yes, those are from my plants, taken this morning. Most of mine aren't blooming much yet either. Some are really small.

These were taken today.
    {{gwi:412709}}

{{gwi:412710}}

{{gwi:412712}}

{{gwi:412714}}

Anyone else having more spectacular results on WSown ones?

Karen

• medontdo
    15 years ago

is that a hydrandea??
    my yvonne's salvia did turn out good, so far, i got mine from mngal?? she sent some to tabor and talla, they are one of the things that got taller. YAY!!! LOL ~Medo

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How big are they? Are they blooming?

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just measured mine. They range from 13" to 33".

I had an email from Emily about a week ago and hers were nearly 4 feet then! She'll have giants again this year. Hers are started indoors under lights. If I ever try that route, it will be Yvonne's salvia that motivates me.

Karen

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

Mine are small, like 6-8" small, no blooms. Hopefully soon though, and when they do I will save seeds but next year I'm going to baby them and bury them in compost.

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

Karen,

Can I get on that list for some Yvonne's Salvia seeds?

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What list? There is no list and I have no seeds, or hardly any blossoms yet for that matter. If I do I will post an offer at the appropriate time.

Karen

• terrene
    15 years ago

I received some seeds from Emily in a trade this winter. I was trading for Asclepias curassavica, I didn't even know that Emily was one of the Yvonne's Salvia gurus. Her seeds germinated very well, and I have about six seedlings planted out. Two of them were late-sprouters that appeared after I had planted the other four out, and they are smaller. They range in height from 8 - 16 inches. No buds or blooms yet, but they look very healthy after a slow start and some nibbling by slugs or something. Very exciting!

Thanks for the info on their seeds - I will be sure to save some, if I get blooms and seeds, that is!

• chitownladyd
    15 years ago

Hi Karen,

I was a beneficiary or your seeds last winter. The ones I did indoors look almost exactly like yours. Hardly any blooms at all. I only had about 5 take. I did them under lights since the ones I winter sowed are so tiny that I potted them up. So far too small to plant out as I have something nibbling on almost everything not well established.

Thanks for the info regarding saving seeds. Will certainly try to save seeds to pass on.

LaDonna

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is weird but true. Despite a good 4 to 6 inches of leaf mulch last fall, I got hundreds of Yvonne's Salvia volunteers. They grew faster and healthier than my WSown ones. Most of the ones I kept were volunteers, and they're still the biggest ones.

I think everything got a slow start for me this year, especially annuals, which I attribute to unusually cool and wet spring. (I still have a couple of coleus and angelonia only about and inch tall! Some are bigger, though). I thought it odd that the volunteer salvia have done so much better than the WSown ones. It's not the transplanting that was an issue because the volunteers were transplanted too, to form the rows shown above.

This makes me wonder if Yvonne's salvia is best grown (if not indoors under lights) from volunteers or even direct sowing. Last year's WSown ones did reasonably well for me (topped out around 48 to 50 inches by fall), but last year was exceptionally hot... I guess time will tell which method gives me the best result.

Nobody can argue with indoors under lights though which gives Emily 6 to 7 footers.

Karen

• northforker
    15 years ago

After reading so much about Yvonne's Salvia, I planned a little section for it, WS the seeds and planted out the seedlings with great anticipation. Like yours, Karen, they have stayed small. We had a cold, long spring too and I have many undersized seedlings out there! I've not even gotten the dusty miller in the ground yet as it is barely an inch high and have a few other annuals that, while healthy, seem like they may not be inclined to flower till very late in the season!

I have a light stand and if NEXT spring seems cold and long, I am going to use it for the seeds that have seemed take forever!But I will still WS everything else.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nan: in my experience seedlings will grow much faster after planting out. I plant them out when very tiny. It's do or die now I think for annuals as the season is almost over. What are you waiting for?

Karen

• northforker
    15 years ago

There's been absolutely no "waiting" going on here-- I just have to prioritize planting somehow (with limited time and WAY too many containers) and tend to grab the containers where seedlings look bigger and more squished first (smile)!!! I know there is little hope for this dusty miller so late already.. I think I will just put it in patio pots tomorrow.

I agree that popping the tiny seedlings in just as soon as possible makes sense and I did do that with many seedlings that are looking great in the beds right now. Last year (my first) I had done a TON of potting up the seedlings/ growing them on and THEN planting. So time consuming and so not in the plants' best interest - they really do prefer the bed.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That I understand. I got the impression that you were waiting for them to grow bigger before planting out.

Karen

Sponsored