Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyinwv

What do seed look like on Serena Angelonia

tammyinwv
14 years ago

I just bought 2 white and a lavender/pink on clearance the other day for 1.99. How do I recognize the seed on these?

Tammy

Comments (9)

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

Tammy,

I just picked off an Angelonia seed pod and sprinkled the tiny seed onto a white card. Here is what they look like. I assume they at the stage where they would be viable. At least this will give you some idea of what they look like.

{{gwi:413339}}From __Garden Flowers - plants

Closer view:
    {{gwi:413340}}From __Garden Flowers - plants

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much Mary. That was extremely helpful. How big is the pod? Are all those seeds from one pod?
    Tammy

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

oops, so sorry. I learned something new, to place something that can be recognized next to an unknown for reference. This is the tip of a regular ball point pen. Does this help? The seed pod is located behind each little bloom (or where each one was) so it is quite small. The seeds are tiny but can be distinctly seen on a contrasting surface. There were probably double the amount of seeds you see here in the little pod.
    {{gwi:413341}}From __Garden Flowers - plants

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow, those are tiny little pods. Better get my magnifying glass.Thanks a lot for your help
    Tammy

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

Tammy,

Once I know if the Angelonia cuttings will root, I'll come back here and let you know. You might want to do a bit more research to determine if the seeds will come true before you spend a lot of time on germination. I've been trying my hand at propagating by taking cuttings of various plants and it's extremely easy for many things. Plus, you might be further along than starting with seed. Of course, the drawback is how or where to keep small plants over the winter. I don't have a greenhouse. If they will root, I'm going to try keeping a pot of the cuttings going by keeping them on a big windowsill over the winter. The same with the Diamond Frost. Another option is to just purchase one mother plant of each next spring and take cuttings then.

I just recently purchased my Angelonia that I used for the cuttings. It's too early to tell if the cuttings will root but, so far, they're still green and fresh looking, which is a good sign. ^_^ It has such pretty, fresh looking blooms. The nursery where I purchased mine said they've bloomed all summer long.

Mary

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary, all sites I have read said the "Serena" series of Angelonia are the first developed to grow from seed. So they will come true from seed. I have also read they are very easy to root. I do some rooting from time to time. I have done quite a bit off my Wiegela shrub especially. I think I read take the cutting, and cut the bloom end off (not real sure), then I would dip in a little hormone and stick in some soil out of direct sun.Let me know how your cuttings and seed do.Thanks a million
    Tammy

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

Tammy,

Thanks so much for posting the corrected information.

I'll get busy and see if I can find some more seed pods and try some Angelonia seed sowing, too. I have all three colors so it will be fun to try the seed for each color, as well as the cuttings. If the cuttings don't take, then there is now the promise of plants from seed. The purple is a small plant but has quite a few bloom spikes so I will leave them to set seed. It is the color I'm trying to root. The other two colors are large plants and that is where I found the seed pod I used in the photos.

Woohoo, I learn so much from everyone.

Mary

• wilson1
    13 years ago

Mary, did you ever discover if your angelonia seed was viable? I am thinking of buying some seed online, but I am wondering about whether it needs to be pelleted.

Sponsored