Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help my Petunias are going to seed.

Posted by strouper2 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 11:56

I need a little help with plants 101. I have some Petunias on my neighbors side and they are starting to go to seed and I'm wondering once they go to seed are they doomed? I cut off all the new seedpods that I found but two of my plants just came right out of the ground and one of the plants with brown pods is starting to show dead leaves at the bottom. This was my 1st year growing this many of my own plants so last year I probably wouldn't of even noticed the pods and figured something else was wrong with the plants. It seems kind of early to start losing my Petunias is there anything that I can do or is this just Mother Nature; bloom, go to seed and then die?

Strouper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help my Petunias are going to seed.

They continue to bloom but not as vigorous....it takes energy to make seed. Everyday I go by mine and pinch out all the fading blooms before they make pods :D

Vera

o

I cut my petunias back to a few inches and they grow back beautifully. Actually I just did that this morning. I prune many of my plants, especially annuals, as they start getting leggy this time of year.
Karyn

o

I never cut petunia's back. They don't get leggy because every time you pinch out the flowers (clear back to the stem...not just the petals) you are encouraging branching and more flowers.

Vera

o

I mowed a row of petunias down a couple of years ago (they looked like they'd pretty much had it) and they sprang back to life with gusto. Got all green and bushy and kept blooming through fall.

While we're on petunias, do the seeds need anything special? I collected an envelope full from my mom's petunias yesterday and just dumped them out on a paper towel.

o

I don't do anything to my Petunia seeds. I leave them alone until everything dries up then scrunch up the pods and that part..whatchamacallit..that part that holds the pod... so that I can separate the seeds from the pods, etc. Nothing to it. :-)

o

I usually trim my Petunias down just because I don't always feel like pinching them, particularly the way they grow in certain spots of my yard. They never seem to resent it.

I pinch the flowers on certain ones that I'm paying closer attention to and they just keep blooming. The ones I pinch are usually smaller plants than the others.
(This is just what I do, not for any special reason, not because I know some rule...I just do it. Neither activity seems to hurt the plants at all).

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here