Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

Seed Trading: the Exchange

token28001
14 years ago

Since we're already talking about this winter's seeds, I'd like to suggest that we use the exchange forum here. Kind of like a community within a community. It's especially good for those of us who have seen your gardens. Yes, Carrie, I am looking at you. ;) Vera, I'm gonna be stalking you this fall as well. :)

I will still be using the main exchange, but this could be fun.

Comments (91)

• clarejoe
    14 years ago

Count me in too! I'll have a decent amount of seed to trade!

• sadie2005
    14 years ago

I often can't figure out how to harvest seeds, but I will do my best so I can participate!

• maps31
    14 years ago

Count me in!I am so excited and ppl cant understand my coveting of there hinged containers. I am a very newbie so any list of possibilitys I can work towards! and about halloween, its my birthday!

• stlgirl
    14 years ago

I'm interested in particpiating in the seed trade - I think October would be a great time to do this.

I too thought one had to be a Newbie to get a newbie seed pack from Bakemom. I never requested one because I too didn't want to be greedy. It is good to know Bakemom that these are open to the rest of us as well. Thanks!

-StLGirl

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Yup, token, please count me in. October is best. I'll save you all the Rudbeckia seeds you want and then some.
    I do have Rudbeckia Goldsturm, missouriensis and triloba which is my most favorite.
    R. fulgida is buried somewhere in the jungle. Hope to find it some day. :-D

Thanks for hosting an exchange/swap.
    :-D

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

I would love to try this again but I didn't plant many annuals this year and most others won't bloom until next year. I can jump in with packs of common commercial seed if that will work. I have a few things that have bloomed and I am trying to learn how to collect seeds from them.

Token, I tried your swap last year and I never did receive the seeds. I have had some serious discussions with my post office since then, and they have been checking on the problems. In addition, they allowed us to put a mailbox in front of our house which they had not done before. I know of four things I didn't receive last year.

I wouldn't even mind hosting a swap when I am sure my mail problem has been solved. Count me in and I will order more seed. That gives me a good excuse for another seed order.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

jim_6b
    Please save me some Echinacea tennesseensis seeds. Thanks.

• vjhale
    14 years ago

I knew I collected more seeds this year for some reason. I'm armed and ready!

• karendee
    14 years ago

I have collected seeds from a plant and have no idea what it is... cute white flowers. I guess I need to do some research and see what I have :)

I am getting ready for the swap now....

Karen

• ktinmd
    14 years ago

Newbie question here--please don't laugh.

How many packs of seed should I try to collect to participate in this exchange? Twenty? Fifty? A hundred? I've discovered that seed saving can become a bit obsessive, and I don't want to overdo it.

Also, what is the accepted way of subtly hinting that, for example, you have no rudbeckia at all and would be thrilled to get some seeds in the exchange?

kt

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

ktinmd,
    Don't worry. Everything is a go here. No rules no requirement. Although the rule of thumb is that if seeds are small, a teaspoonful is acceptable, big ones...probably 10 at the most depending on the size.

I always over do it. lol
    Usually send out a lot more that requested.
    You can always ask for what you would like. Someone will usually come up with it.

Let's have fun.
    :-)

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Hi ktinmd, I think that with all the folks signed up, there will be hundreds of different things sent in. Token hasn't posted his plan yet, so if the return packets are totally random, I'd go for a massive volume of packets in order to get back a lot of good stuff. You know, just today I was warning myself off of getting obsessive, because I was thinking about collecting a bunch of seed that I don't personally want, because someone else may want it. Maybe instead I'll post and see if folks want some, THEN I'll collect it.

Token, I sure hope you'll be willing to let us do "inside trading," where we can just agree amongst ourselves (in online discussion or email) to send certain packets to a person. Then we make up separate bundles for those folks, and you just plop them in the recipient's pile. It sure helps people to get seeds they really want. I don't have ALL the "common" seeds, but I have (cough) most. So I am hoping to get goodies I don't already have filling my seed "drawer."

Oh, and quantity-wise: With tiny seeds, I grab a pinch and it's 40 seeds more or less. I'm happy getting 40 seeds of anything (unless its germination rate is bad) but your opinion may vary.

So, would anyone want Argyranthemum seeds? (sp?) They are an annual daisy that blooms constantly. I don't know how well they WS, my mom purchased a white, a pink and a blue.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kt, just remind me when you send in the package.

There need to be a couple of rules. Last swap I hosted, I got tons and tons of marigolds and morning glory seeds. So, rule #1, only one pack of each of these can be sent in by any participant. They're common and easy to collect. I know, lots of other common things are wanted, but these two seem to overwhelm swaps, unless you make it known to keep them limited.

Rule #2, if you have a wishlist, limit it to 20 items and send it with your seeds. I will sort the seeds and try to pair everyone up with a decent amount of matches. My other swap was 21 for 21, blackjack. That's an easy number and most people should be able to come up with 21 different packs of seeds. So I might keep the limit about the same.

Rule #3, When i start the thread for the actual swap in October, email me and include your GW name. INCLUDE YOUR GW NAME. Ok, one more time, INCLUDE YOUR GARDENWEB NAME!!!!! on all your seed packs, and all correspondence. Cause I don't know all of you by your real names. And it makes it easier to contact you if I have a question.

That's about it. Just send your packages in on time with the right number of seed packs, the right postage for return, and don't forget that you'll be getting back a whole lot of different seeds. It really is fun. And best of all, as the host, I get first choice. :)

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As for quantities of seeds in a pack, if you would be happy to receive it, it's got enough seeds. If you'd want more, add more.

Inside swaps are fine, just make sure they are labeled and the recipient is aware so they include extra postage for the return trip.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

I thought I'd bring this back up to ask if anyone is interested in angelica seeds, I have ton of them ripening now and I was told they need to be planted fresh. If anyone is interested feel free to send an email , I'm not looking for trades for them.

Lisa

Token, count me in for the seed swap. I should have a ton of seeds for people who want to send in extra postage.

• ktinmd
    14 years ago

Thanks--Everything is much clearer now.

It's startling how quickly seed packs start accumulating once you begin collecting seed. I bought a box of 250 coin envelopes thinking it would last forever. Hah! No way.

Token, are you limiting cosmos, too? If not, I could send you a bucketful :)

kt

• v1rt
    14 years ago

I'm so disorganized and I need some help. How do you keep track of what seeds you want and the person who offered you the seeds? I remember Bonnie(hightransplant) was offering seeds to me. :D

Tom, looks like I saw a thread and you mentioned you have BeeBalm. Can I have seeds of it too?

• karendee
    14 years ago

v1rtu0s1ty, Try an excel spreadsheet...

I have one that i list all the seeds I have. beside the row I put names if someone wants a seed. You could modify mine to suit your needs if you want it send me a message and I will email to you...

I need to update mine because it was from WSing and I have not done much to it since.
    Karen

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Right now I have lots of petite pink bee balm and a few red. I'm hoping to get another round of flowers from the red. It didn't do as well as I had hoped the first year so the seeds were scarce. I'll be sharing whatever I have. The trade lists will get updated in another month or two.

I use a spreadsheet for trades too. Red means I sent. Green means they send. I put a name, date, and a space for seed names. That's the easiest way I've figured out how to do it.

With the swap, I take each wish list, get one or two matches, then try for 3-4, then maybe a 5th if there's a lot. The extras are sorted so that you don't get but one of any kind. It'd be nice to limit the seeds sent to only one or two packs of any one kind. Lots of people send extras too, so people tend to get back more than they send.

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Tom, are we still doing the 21 pieces of seed each packet?

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

virtuosity, I just open up a Notepad page and type in what I'm giving and to whom, and what I've asked for. (I like it more than Word because it loads very fast, but in Word you can color-code things)

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Tom, would it be easier if everyone is assigned a number and then everyone can look at each other's trade lists (which would have to be updated by a certain date) and post what they want (by a certain date) like this:

malva zebrina
    red penstemon
    delphinium Blue Butterfly

Then if everyone checks all the posts each person would know what to send and could package them according to each request which would make it easier for you to send out. So if I was number 14 and you had posted the above list I would put those three seeds aside marked for you. Does that make sense? Just trying to keep it simple for you.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

proudgm, that's one way to do it. The one I hosted last fall, I just asked people to include a wish list. I think if people want to send something specifically to a certain person, I'd have no problem with them labeling it with that poster's name.

Maybe what I will do is ask that people post their wish list when they sign up. Maybe 5 things they really want, and that will let others know so they can label them correctly. I dunno yet how I'll do this. It'd be nice to just shuffle seeds from one pack to another and send them back out, but that gets very involved for people who are only part time lurkers here.

• moonphase
    14 years ago

Last fall I didn't do any trading and I didn't ws due to health problems but this fall I am ready.I just have to have some of those red cone flowers.I have been drooling all summer over everyones photos.I luckily have alot of perennials that have bloomed beautifully from 3 yrs of wsing,so I will have seeds,I hope someone will want,so count me in our annual wsing swap.
    moonphase

• sybilkrizinski
    14 years ago

Count me in! I love it! Sybil

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Token,

I'm hosting a swap right now on the Round Robin forum and I asked people to please refrain from putting in "tired" varieties like Roma Tomatoes & Straightneck squash. I think that would an appropriate rule for Marigolds & Morning Glories too.

• jessied
    14 years ago

This will be my first year winter sowing, but I would love to join the swap! I don't know all the specific names of my plants yet, are general titles ok?

• karendee
    14 years ago

I already know my wish list...
    Rudabeckia's all kinds :)
    Oh and maybe bee balm.
    :) Karen

• ajpa
    14 years ago

I'll join (if I can figure out what to put on my wishlist, lol).

Are leftover seeds from last winter ok to send in too?

• paulan70
    14 years ago

Ok Count me in.
    But I also think it would be best to list what you are looking for instead of what you have. You know my hands start to hurt when I start to hit the 200th name of the seeds. I tend to be a collector and yeap I sow about 98% of what I recieve now if they all germinate great but not always so I always over plan.
    Plus I also have most of my list on my trade page and I do keep some "special" ones in reserve just in case I have to resow them or they were hard to find at least until I can collect seeds from my plants.

And Oct should be good for me. At least I hope it will.

Paula

• auntyara
    14 years ago

I want to play too, but I don't know how.
    I'm trying my first plant swap at a different site and it's soo confusing. Maybe a seed swap would be easier.
    I'll work on my seed trade list this weekend.
    Does anybody want to mentor a clueless newbie?
    And
    By clueless I mean stupit.
    just so we're clear.
    LOL
    Laura

• kiddo_1
    14 years ago

Obviously resistance is futile....count me in. I'm collecting lots of 4'oclocks (mostly out of self-defense ;-)) and my 8' tall hollyhocks. And there's sure to be a TON of mixed zins....
    Kris

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laura, the way this swap will work is that you send in a package of individually packed seeds. Probably 20 or so different little packs in the bubble envelope. Whatever it costs to send it, you need to include that much postage in stamps for the return trip. An extra stamp usually gets you a couple more packs than you sent as someone always sends extras. ;)

If you have a wishlist, include that inside with your Gardenweb name. That's about it. You send the package by the date I'll post as we get further into the fall, and I'll let everyone know when their package arrives. I'll trade seeds for people based on their wish lists and hopefully get a few matches for everyone. Then they all go back into the mail the same day.

Last swap I had around 40 people participate. There were 3 that did not receive their packages. One has had terminal issues with her PO and we chalked it up to that. Another, I sent her what I had from my own stash. The third never contacted me, so maybe she got hers.

It's always a bit of fun receiving large packages of seeds in the mail. It gives you a month or so to research what everything is before you start wintersowing in January.

• Connie Kru
    14 years ago

I would love to join this swap.
    Sounds like fun and a way of adding to my limited types of seeds
    Connie/Micigan
    Where we just got 3 inches of rain (was needed) and there was no storm with it.

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Wow,
    that sounds much easier than the plant swap.
    I"m sure I can collect 20 different seeds
    And I down loaded a seed packet template from a wsing poster (shoot I can"t remember her name, sweet girl thou)
    so I just put my wish list in with the shipment I send?
    That is easy.
    Even for me LOL
    Oh how many seeds per packet?
    Thanks
    Laura

• bev2009
    14 years ago

First I'd like to thank all of you for your great help with WSing. I learned about it last Jan. at the Master Gardening show our group puts on. I was so excited, I planted the seeds I got at the show, and because of all the great help on this site, I had to make two new flower beds to accommodate all the plants, but what fun!!!

Count me in on the seed exchange. I've already started to save. I have a few seeds from double pink and white columbine that were lovely this year.

• countrycarolyn
    14 years ago

Well I plan to be stalking you all and crossing my fingers I have something of intrest to you. October sounds good to me cause this summer has been cruel to my flowers, I just noticed my burgundy gailardia starting bud earlier in the week uggg how late is that.

Token I am going to be after you for that red coreopsis wether its mahogny midget or limerock ruby.

October I am going to be after you for both of those lovbelia's

Stage I love daisies even if they are annuals, I am a sucker for anything blue or red so I would deffintely be intrested.

Cant wait I am excited!!!

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laura, the number of seeds can vary depending on the variety. I tend to put in a pack what I would like to receive in a trade. Petunias, several pinches. Hibiscus, a dozen or more. Shrubs and trees, depends on the variety, but at least 10. Last year I had lots of sweetshrub seeds from plants near my house. They pruned the bushes this year, but I hope to collect more. Great Southern plant. Calycanthus floridus.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    14 years ago

I would love to participate also! Drat I just deadheaded a bunch of giant purple delphiniums today! Maybe I will get some more flowers and seed from them.

Jenny P

• albertar
    14 years ago

me too, I just got some torch lily seeds yesterday from my established plants. Since they are perennial here, I'll guess they should WS fine.

Alberta

• gardencrazy
    14 years ago

I would like to play seed swap too:) I have already started collecting seeds.

• mayblooms
    14 years ago

Oh this sounds like great fun! I would love to play...I'll be keeping an eye out for your thread.

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I will be watching for your swap, token.
    You did a nice job last time,
    Alana

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Alana, just be sure to check the exchange page here. I'll probably just make this one a swap for wintersowers since it looks like many people are interested.

• yellowflowerpot
    14 years ago

Been lurking here far too long and this sounds a lot of fun, ok count me in!
    Just collected yesterday some 4'clock broken colors, malva zebrina, clematis "dr. rupple", silene, portulaca, etc... and a lot more later.

• Lisa_H OK
    14 years ago

for those of you with tons of common seeds, ie marigolds....I send all my excess seeds that I don't need to trade to Trudi for her project. I think I offered some to Bakemom as well. I don't remember. I pack and label them just like I would for trading and then send them off in a box to her.

Lisa

• auntyara
    14 years ago

So we should send Trudi are extra common seed???!!!
    OOPs sounded to anxious.
    I ment hey ya know. if she wants them.
    lol Laura

• colcol
    14 years ago

Please sign me up too :)
    If I learn how to collect them, I hopefully will have some blue satin Rose of Sharon to share. Oh, that is, if they are ripe by deadline time. They are just starting to bloom now.

• stacy2564
    14 years ago

I'm just starting to get lots of seeds. This sounds fun. Please count me in. (always wondered why there wasn't more trading on the ws exchange)
    Thank you,
    Stacy

• northforker
    14 years ago

Cleared out my Malva "Mystic Merlin" today (a great bloomer for weeks and weeks) and I must have 2 cups of nice ripe seed. And then I had - -CLEAR DIRT!!! Was able to plant out some fresh zinnias and seed dahlias for fall blooms. Very psyched - first time I've ever done this "crop rotation" kind of thing.

Because our spring was so cold and wet, my gardens are just starting to look like "July" in August. It will probably delay seed collecting but October should be fine. Count me in!

Nancy

Sponsored