Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Sometimes I am sooo smart.... :0)

carrie630
12 years ago

Okay - I had a litter of bunnies born in the spring right within my main gardens. I caught two babies in the small hav a heart trap when they were tiny. I had no success with the other two.

As months go by, the little trap would be useless. So I brought out the medium size - too small for raccoons, good for rabbits.

I put that trap out one day about a month ago where there are large rabbits, nowhere near where the babies are - on the other side of our property.

We watched from our window, a large rabbit GO IN and COME OUT - the trap didn't close right - it was old and a bit rusty. He was able to flip it up and run out.

So, last night I had an idea....

I put the "broken trap" out with lettuce in front and lettuce in the back. I watched the "baby" eat the lettuce, go in the "broken trap" and eat the rest. He felt safe; he walked right out.

TODAY - I went to Home Depot bought that same sized trap - set it out where I know he rests (under some shrubs) and just like last night, he saw the lettuce in front and went for the lettuce in the back and SLAM - he is now trapped! My husband will bring him to a nice area where there is a pond, etc.

Now, I am going to see if the larger rabbits will remember that it's "not a problem" to go into a cage and grab food - but this time, the trap will work!

Yes, I am happy - he's the one who dared to eat YARROW of all things, as yarrow is supposed to be rabbit resistant.

Love those traps

Carrie

Comments (7)