Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvick_gw

Have -

PVick
12 years ago

coneflowers!

{{gwi:417123}}

The purple is courtesy of Tiffy; the white are from seeds I'd tried twice before, with no luck. Third time's the charm - or maybe they just needed company.

I have a few more colors/varieties which I'll summer-sow.

Next year - coneflower city!

PV

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden 2011

Comments (18)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Looking lush and happy there, PV!! What beautiful white coneflowers! Mine never look quite as happy unfortunately and it's sure not for lack of a good, sunny spot. Mine always look bleh. My hydrangea are making up for lost time this year with lots more blooms and even one flower cluster on the stubborn one that hasn't bloomed in 5 years. Does that gorgeous double red carnation produce seeds by any chance?

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Beautiful, PV! Is the white one White Swan? I WSowed some of those last year and I'm really liking them.

Karen

• PVick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gardenweed - I bought the red dianthus this year, so I'm hoping to see a seed or two. I've never had luck collecting seed from dianthus though -

Karen - that's Baby White Swan; forgot where I got the seed from several years back, but it's supposed to be a shorter version of the regular White Swan.

PV

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

It sure is pretty.

Karen

• terrene
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I think 'White Swan' might be my favorite coneflower.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Hurrah for success! Coneflowers are one of the plants which I have ws for many years and have many varieties, though I have not done Baby White Swan.

Hydrangea 'Cityline Mars' is interesting with the color changes in the flowers.

• pitimpinai
    12 years ago

Gorgeous as usual, PV
    I have a bumper crop of coneflowers this year too.
    And what a coincidence. I just saw a white one in my garden for the first time this year...a gift from a bird, probably.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    12 years ago

You just made all things right. This is one of the plants I 'forgot' to retrieve from the gardens and have felt sadness about. Seeing that purple makes me smile and knowing that a friend has it warms my heart. :O)

• PVick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That said, tiffy, I will try my darndest to get some good seeds from the plants, so you can have them back again!

Good to hear from you. Hope all is going well ...

PV

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

I love White Swan, but I did notice that their germination is significantly lower than the purple ones. It's well worth the effort.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

My neighbor has the most amazing White Swan coneflowers and this year when I harvest the seedheads, I won't leave them where the critters can get to them. I want to grow lots more of them--they really shine in the mid-summer heat.

• tomva
    12 years ago

Very Nice indeed!!

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Pvick, very pretty pictures! I hope you put the coneflowers for trade.

• ghoghunter
    12 years ago

Beautiful coneflowers!!! Soon you'll be seeing the goldfinches too!
    Joann

• Ament
    12 years ago

They are gorgeous, I saw cream colored ones at Lowes yesterday when I went to buy a clematis. I'll have to see if I can get hubs talked into buying them for me, the cream ones were so pretty! :) Love your coneflowers, thanks for sharing!

~Bright Blessings
    Tina

• pippi21
    12 years ago

PVick..I could send you some Bambi to take care of that beautiful Hosta! Is that Cocoa bean mulch you have in your pots? Talk about a chocolate fix that you can't eat but sure smells like downtown Hershey, Pa. to me! Do I spy a White Swan coneflower? What are those other white flowers? They look like feverfew or some type of daisy? I've seen them in the flower catalogs but their name is escaping me this morning. Anyhow they are beautiful! You cut back a lot this year it seems or am I imagining things?

• PVick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pippi - no Bambis, please! Yes, that's cocoa bean mulch; it doesn't smell like chocolate to me, but then I have trouble smelling stuff. I actually bought it by accident - what I wanted was "coco" mulch (you know, the stuff from coconuts); didn't realize I had the wrong thing till I got it home. The bag is almost finished now, so next time I'll pay better attention to what I'm picking up.

That's Baby White Swan - supposed to be a dwarf version of White Swan. And yes, that's feverfew you see. They were WSed last year (seeds courtesy of of pitimpinai).

You're not imagining things, I have cut back a lot this year. I didn't WS very much this year, and I started very late too - didn't sow anything until March. Did a few veggies, and a handful of annuals (12 containers total, I believe). I finally got my tomatoes planted out about three weeks ago - and they have taken off! I planted spinach in May, but it got SO hot so quick that they all bolted before they could grow very much at all. Guess I'm growing spinach seed. But my swiss chard (luv the stuff!) is doing great! The cukes are growing like mad and lots of flowers, but I'm not seeing any fruit forming yet.

Anything else out there is from years past or were WSed last year. I'm paring back, giving stuff away because I'll be out of here next year (that's the plan) - retirement!

Can't wait!

PV

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Retirement plans. Moving where? Oh, the cocoa shells do smell like chocolate, but they have a tendency to get moldy from a lot of rain. It is more costly here than regular shredded hardwood which is what we like to use. My husband has many relatives that worked and retired from Hershey..and still live in the area. One of my favorite places. His parents are buried near Hershey, only about 3 or 4 miles. We were just up mid June and will be going back for family reunion mid Sept. I'd move to that area tomorrow if he would move but he says they have a lot more snow than we get here in Md. and much colder. He was born in
    Harrisburg.

I have never used Coir and have only seen it in bricks..does it come in a bag like mulch? I'll have to look for it next Spring.

Feverfew is in daisy family? As easy to grow as shasta daisies? might try it sometime. Love the shape of its flowers.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services