Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Summer Sowing

bakemom_gw
14 years ago

Did two containers of freshly harvested Sweet William and Lychnis. Going after the Dianthus this afternoon.

Are YOU summer sowing?

Comments (63)

• tazebell
    14 years ago

I have to admit something went terribly wrong with my WS. The seeds that were doing so well, I either ruined by taking them to separate and replant, or the freakin' deluge of rain we have had drowned them. I am wondering if next year I start them much earlier and just leave them alone if things will do better. It seems they are stunted, those that survived and I planted. They are the size of seedlings yet. It's been frustrating - too little water, or too much water. I would say I lost pretty much everything I planted, and that hurts.

• dawiff
    14 years ago

I am having a hard time trying to decide whether to summer sow. I'm afraid once I start I'll be unable to stop, and I'm moving at the end of August probably, so I don't want to have to move hundreds of containers in my little car. It's hard to say no to Dianthus, though. It sprouts so easily. Of course, I also want Lupines at the new house, and Hollyhocks, and Butterfly Weed and Gaillardia and Rudbeckia and and and.....

• drippy
    14 years ago

Oh, come on, dawiff, where's your spirit of adventure? LOL, you should have seen the plants in my car during my 3-day move from MA to SC. Every rest stop I was checking them to make sure they weren't burning up (they weren't). I made DH make a special trip up to get his guitars because I knew my little car would have room only for either my plants or the guitars, and it was no contest!

Where are you moving to? If it's local, maybe you could do a few shuttles.

• dawiff
    14 years ago

Drippy, I used up all my spirit of adventure last fall when I moved all the way across the freaking country into a rental house. The new place is about 30 miles from here, and yeah, I could do it in several trips. But ya know what? I'm fat, old and lazy and I don't know if I want to. Plus, I'm coming back to Massachusetts in August for a few days, and there's no telling what DH will kill with neglect while I'm gone.

But, ok, maybe I'll start with some Dianthus.

• columbusgardener
    14 years ago

well in honor of Red White and Boom ( anyone from around here knows what I mean ) You cannot get anywhere downtown - the shopping areas are packed - No one but me has to work today.....so I am going to summer sow this afternoon -
    in honor of the day - only those items that are red white and blue........

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We are closed of course. The nutballs looking for a good spot to watch the fireworks have been camping since YESTERDAY. I will watch it on TV. I will be working on the front of my house foundation plantings - I lost so much this last winter. Bummer.

• token28001
    14 years ago

I'm heading out to plant out the rudbeckia hirta. I've got a bed that nothing seems to want to survive in. I've removed the soil and replaced it over the course of the year. Still nothing thrives. This is the last chance for this bed. If these don't make it, I'm gonna till it up and plant kudzu.

• drippy
    14 years ago

This a.m. I planted more containers of seeds: Bush Beans, True Blue; Cucumber, Muncher; Pepper, Northstar; Gazania, Kiss & Tell Hybrid; Zinnia, Profusion White; Cilantro, Santo; and Salvia officinalis. All but the sage were purchased at Park's Seeds at the Carolina Festival of Flowers in Greenwood SC last weekend - they have great trial gardens if you ever get a chance to see them.

Later I am actually going to try a short DTM tomato - I have so many seeds if nothing comes of it, no great loss. I'm also going to plant a Balconi Red tomato, which grows in baskets, and my past experience says it will set fruit indoors.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I'm not summer sowing anything, too much else to do.

If any of you remember my spring sowing thread in jugs, it has been total failure. It could be this batch of potting soil (Mir Gro) which has a lot more bark in it than last or too much rain. Plus some of the seeds were not fresh. Or it just isn't a good idea in spring because the seeds don't get conditioned the same.

I have 12 good-size drainage holes in the bottom of each milk jug so it shouldn't be drainage plus I got mold because I should never have taped the tops like in ws although got rid of it for good by spraying with H2O2 dilute and opening them up.

The only thing that worked are delphiniums which I planted in a shallow tray (Mir Gro w/junk picked out and mixed w/seed starter) and transplanted. I forgot to punch vent holes in the lid, but always take it off anyway when germination starts and mist. Well, I transplanted 57 of them, and they aren't doing too well, have lost at least 1/3 to 1/2 of those. I had to protect them from hard rain by bringing them inside at night and out again.

Also the shallow trays worked well enough before when I just used an exacto knife to cut lots of slits, don't drain well and waterlogged, luckily I caught it and saved the delphs but not the rest. I will need to use the woodburning thingie that punches larger holes from now on.

I should move them into a little more sun but am afraid to because that's one reason I lost so many.

Maybe this is just not my year. I would like to know what might work better for potting soil for this winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring sowing, was upbeat about it, not recommended the way I did.

• carrie630
    14 years ago

drippy - I am interested in how your Profusion Zinnias do - since it is July - let us know when you get your first blooms... I bet you are loving the climate in SC.. (?) Yes/No?

Carrie

• drippy
    14 years ago

Carrie - I have saved some of the seeds back from everything I planted today, because I know it is craziness to be starting annuals this late. The growing season is so long here, though. I started some Bloody Butcher tomato seeds (55 days DTM from transplants) even - when I visited here last September it was in the 80s, and at Christmas it was 70 and the pansies were blooming. I figured what the heck, if the plants don't mature in time, there's always next year.

It's been high 80s/low 90s since I got here (a couple of days high 90s) in May. I was soooooo cold in New England this past winter, yes, I am absolutely loving the weather here.

• carrie630
    14 years ago

drippy - we've got basically the same climate - I'll throw in some profusions and see what happens - I'll do that tomorrow...and report progress(or no progress) on either this thread or a new one...

You will LOVE the Carolinas - (a former New Yorker).. the winters are great!

Carrie

• token28001
    14 years ago

What winters? You mean those three cold weeks in late February/early March? When it actually gets down into the teens? Or the 1/2 of snow that closes everything?

It's hot right now in the Carolinas. But seeds are still sprouting in containers. My rudbeckias were planted out today. 10-12 weeks is the guess for blooms. That means I should have blooms in early October of black eyed susans. ;)

• carrie630
    14 years ago

token - did you mist the seeds in the containers twice a day? I am assuming your containers were in dappled to full shade with these 90 degree days...

I guess it's too late to even think about zinnias with our first frost mid November, but I maybe I'll change my mind and try - have nothing to lose -

Carrie

• token28001
    14 years ago

Carrie, I sowed them in deep containers - 8" of dirt to keep them from drying out. I watered twice a day and put them in part sun so that they would be ready to go in the ground as soon as they had their second leaves.

Today is a good day to sow pumpkin seeds for Halloween harvest here in NC. So I'd say you have plenty of time for zinnias. :)

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

My father has invasive "Sun Drops" (Oenothera fruiticosa youngii) which open during the day/close at night... the opposite of Evening Primrose.

He loves them. Got them from friend at work 30 years ago.

My sister was over last week and wants them for low maintenance spreading (rhizomes out the wazoo) plant for area at end of her driveway.

Can I sow seeds now, grow over summer and plant out at her place in Fall?

Wasn't sure it there was limit to what can be summer sown due to temperatures.

These Oenothera call for 70F for germination. Would keep them in shade as seeds only get lightly covered for germination.

These plants are one of the banes of my gardening existence as they're all tangled up with roots of Iris in large bed I have to dig up this year to separate & transplant Iris.

Okay for summer sowing and Fall planting?

My sister doesn't want to have to do anything with them so transplanting some from my father's in heat of summer isn't feasible with watering requirements until they get established. At least that's what I surmise.

Informed opinions?

• drippy
    14 years ago

On June 12 I planted 3 seeds each of Mars, Ghost, and Small Sugar pumpkins. The Mars & Ghost pumpkins were seeds from 2006. All 9 came up healthy, and are starting to send out vining tendrils. Mind you, I've been growing everything in containers - 9 pumpkins, one pot - uh oh. So, last night, after the sun went down, I transplanted the Mars & Ghost into their own pots. I'll let you know how they make out over time, but I'm encouraged that the Boston Pickling cucumber - I have 3 plants in one large pot - is producing cukes now.l

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

Okay, Drippy, you're enjoying this Zone 7 thing a little too much!

LOL

Yes, I'm jealous, but you did pretty darn well up in frosty Mass. as I seem to recall.

Enjoy all your new planting adventures and the extra growing time you've got now.

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

In my first venture into this type of seed starting, I've got 3 containers of herbs for my DH sitting in the shade outside and 6 containers of fall transplants sitting on the counter in the AC (to be put out once they've sprouted), since the outside is well above the optimal germination temps for brassicas.

• karendee
    14 years ago

I have some pumpkins also they vines are still small. I did a spring sow with them (sort of because it was still pretty cold here in May when I did it) I sure hope I can get something out of them this year.

I am not sure what to SS.

I guess I can just buy some cheap seeds and try it? I have some dirt and containers, just need some seeds.

Everyone, keep posting what you are SS'ing so I can get ideas :)
    I learn a lot from all of you!!!

Karen

• token28001
    14 years ago

I have seeds of what is labeled as "Painted Daisy". I'm not sure where I'll plant them. They're probably too gaudy for my yard. But, I have them and I want to find out. So I'm sowing them this week. The package explicitly states that they will not bloom until the second season after they are sown. So, I'm not sure that means 2 or 3 years. I'm gonna give it a shot and expect to have blooms in June.

• drippy
    14 years ago

Carrie, the Profusion zinnias have germinated already - not surprising - I'll keep you posted on progress!

• northforker
    14 years ago

I collected seed from alyssum basket of gold a few weeks ago, let them dry a bit and sowed them last week. I've got a ton of sprouts already!

I always sow zinnias till the end of July and this year with out sloooooooow warm up, I am hoping to have an extended fall for blooms. I've got tiny seedlings coming up...we'll see how it goes.

Last week I sowed herbs - 2 kinds of basil and some parsley. Seeds were old but I did get plenty of germination.

Bedding Impatiens is slow to germinate for me this year. I think because it has not been very hot (they love heat). I've got 3 flats that I check every day but nothing is happening....

I want to go through my seed box and look for perennials to summer sow, I just have not had a minute. Maybe next weekend.

• sheltieche
    14 years ago

I have summer sowed great deal of seeds this year, which is first for me as normally I have too much to do in the summer. But my garden is so full and mature that any new plant has to be well developed to be planted out, thus is new strategy- start them early keep in pots, overwinter, and plant next spring... lots of trouble, germination is good but seedling survival rate goes down, normally I am able to keep 99% seedlings and now I am down to 60-70.

• karendee
    14 years ago

nan-6161, I might have to sow some zinnias. I did not ws any and did not think to SS them. I guess I will buy a packet or two of seeds.

I have an area I planted lots of poppies but they did not do well. now they are done blooming and the area is so bare it drives me crazy!!

I might sow a bunch of zinnia and add there...

any other ideas?
    Karen

• northforker
    14 years ago

I find that I can usually sow zinnias (started in pots in a sunny location) till mid- july here and have them blooming in August and September. But this year...even the ones started in May are not blooming. We need heat. We need sun. But zinnia seeds are cheap and I've got lots from trades so I figure, why not try?

I'd be happy to share some zinnia seeds Karen ..just send me an email.

Nancy

• karendee
    14 years ago

Oh my Nancy, that is so nice of you! WS'ers are the best people ever!!!

Karen

• drippy
    14 years ago

I have two teenie weenie babies on my Sugar Pie Pumpkins - we'll see if they make it in the container! The containers are all on an open cement patio - not sure yet whether I will trellis the vines or just let them run on the lawn.

• karendee
    14 years ago

drippy,I am not sure if I plan to trellis my small pumpkins either. So far the plants are smaller and near my house. I guess I have a little time but not much.

Karen

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

I am still getting reseeders pop up in my gardens so I plan to do some cosmos and zinnias for a fall showing. The early annuals tend to get burned out in late July need to be replenished so I generally start things around this time. I also will start some perennials to overwinter in the pots and plant out early next spring. I find they are more successful and survive our heat if they are more developed .......

Lynne

• PVick
    14 years ago

My plan is to sow sweet william, salvia 'mojito' and more dianthus for next year.

If I ever get this year's seedlings planted out, I'll do some more zinnias to go along with the mums in the fall. Actually, with the way the weather has been this year, it may be fall before most of this year's annuals bloom.

Yeah, that's my plan.

PV

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

I did several containers of cosmos Bright Lights before we left on vaca a week ago. Must check them when I get home. Didn't have enough of the Sonata Carmine to fill up the poppy bed- schucks. So one more year with the BL's, and next year I'll use all Carmine in there.

Note to self (and anyone else that cares)...Less is More. More is not necessarily better. Case in point: Poppies. That wonderful carpet of poppies created a lovely bed of short, stunted mostly red poppies with only a few short, stunted breadseed ones mixed in. Height was affected, bloom size was HUGELY affected, and with all the rain in combination with "too many," there was no air circulation down below. The stems rotted from the soil line to about a foot up, and they were stringy and weak. Ripping them out was a breeze this weekend, and I vow to take the whole top layer of soil out and replace it in the fall so I can start over in case it managed to reseed itself. I tried to pull them out prematurely to prevent a huge reseeding, but likely many of them still did. I'll scrape it off, and compost them.
    I left only a couple of the best ones standing (a 'torn' edged, deep purple one that I have no idea where it came from but it's a beauty, and a hot-pink patch). I'll collect only those seeds and put those in next year.

So for what all that's worth, sprinkle lightly, and you'll have a better show.

Pix of bed with Iris, then the Poopy-Poppy show (cosmos to go in now):

{{gwi:417217}}
    {{gwi:417219}}
    {{gwi:417221}}
    {{gwi:417223}}
    {{gwi:417225}}
    {{gwi:417226}}
    {{gwi:417227}}
    {{gwi:417228}}

• carrie630
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures, mmqchdygg...

Carrie (you are so ambitious@!)

• stillwelljill
    14 years ago

Tazebell,
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of most of your WS seedlings. I know that must hurt after taking care of them for so long. I'm sure you will have better luck next year. Why not try to SS some perennials to get a head start on next year? Good luck!

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Bumping for a gal I invited over from the Veggie forum if she shows up. Question: is anyone starting their fall crop of cool-season veggies yet?

• karendee
    14 years ago

good question mmqchdygg! I would love to know. I have not done that yet...

I SS yesterday lots of Zinnia Seeds...YEAH (Thanks to Nancy!)

Karen

• leisa_in_md
    14 years ago

I haven't started the Fall veggies yet. I'm not sure when to start, but I was thinking of sowing some spinach this weekend. It might just bolt, but what the heck :)

Leisa

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Are folks still summer sowing?

What did you sow today?

I need to start some perennials, specifically, Dotted Mint.
    And where the heck is my golden gallardia? I just now realized it's MIA this season.

• northforker
    14 years ago

Hey, I am liking this summer sowing thing!!!! From seeds sown 10 days ago I have burgundy hollyhocks, lots of zinnia,more foxglove,more rose campion, more alyssum basket of gold. I am also trying delphiniums as mine did not come back this year (or were eaten by deer very early) but so far no germination. I wonder if they need a cold period - anyone know?

• token28001
    14 years ago

July

21-22 TRANSPLANT, PLANT FLOWERS, PLANT SEEDBEDS, PLANT ABOVEGROUND CROPS

Best Planting Days - Farmers' Almanac

• karendee
    14 years ago

My Zinnia are already sprouting, It took less than a week! I also used the soil moist I have (I think by Sta-green) and they have kept nice and moist. I would probably not use this for WS'ing but works for SS.

I have some seeds I can sow, I am thinking of just trying them. I need to look them all up to see if they need cold periods first. That is my only problem, I do not know enough about the seeds to decide if I should SS or wait and WS.

Karen

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

It's getting awfully late to sow for fall planting. But it was hot and humid (for a change) and those jungles of flowers in my yard started to get even more annoying. I was yanking stuff out like crazy, making it look worse. So I went to my air conditioned basement and sowed a few jugs of seeds. If they sprout and grow, I'll plant them out in fall. Otherwise, they'll just live out there all winter.

Today I sowed
    penstemon husker red
    double green-eye rudbeckia
    sea holly
    lobelia cardinalis
    delosperma

Karen

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

* Posted by nan-6161 7 Long Island (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 7:20

Hey, I am liking this summer sowing thing!!!! From seeds sown 10 days ago I have burgundy hollyhocks, lots of zinnia,more foxglove,more rose campion, more alyssum basket of gold. I am also trying delphiniums as mine did not come back this year (or were eaten by deer very early) but so far no germination. I wonder if they need a cold period - anyone know?---------------------------------------------------

Were tey fresh seeds? IDK. I sowed a few packs of delphs 6/26 after 3 weeks in the freezer. I am getting very slow germination ( I did 3 seeds per pot and did about 80 pots I have new ones sprouting every day the past month...but only 1 per cup...
    I Have a bunch of fresh seed I AM contemplating sowing now...

• karendee
    14 years ago

I too can't decide to sow now or save for next year.

I have lots of french marigold seeds too. Not sure if I should SS some now or not.

I might do 1/2 the seeds now and the rest for next season.

Karen

• daisydawnny
    14 years ago

Just got my Sea Holly, am waiting on one more seed order. I have to work Saturday. Hope to SS some more on Sunday.

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

So is it too late to keep SS? i plan on overwintering ina cold frame /hoop house

• drippy
    14 years ago

Update: the Profusion zinnias I started in early July are budding now. Woohoo! Also, I started some new veggies the first week of July - Bloody Butcher tomatoes (55 DTM), Orange Sunshine tomatoes (65-70 DTM), green beans, and Northern Star peppers. The tomatoes are just starting to set fruit, the green beans are bearing, and the Northern Star's are just getting ready to flower. I am so thrilled that I can actually get a second round of tomatoes here!

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Do you follow the same procedure with the jugs, but maybe put larger air holes in? Guess I should also make the soil a lot more on the moist side too, so they don't dry out?

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Here are the ruds I sowed last summer, mentioned a few posts up in this thread. Picture was taken a few days ago.
    {{gwi:353521}}

Karen

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

Pippi,

The containers need to be deeper so you can put in more soil because a deeper layer of soil will retain more moisture. Also, you need more vents or don't even put a top on the container to prevent overheating. And the containers will do well in part shade, certainly place them where they won't get direct overhead sunlight at midday.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring and Summer Sowing

Sponsored
Franklin County's Heavy Timber Specialists | Best of Houzz 2020!