Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

If this is July...

gardenweed_z6a
12 years ago

...these daylilies are blooming right on time, along with quite a few second year WS perennials. Have a look:

H. Barbara Mitchell

{{gwi:417569}}

WS Cupid's dart

{{gwi:417570}}

H. Flamboyant Eyes

{{gwi:417571}}

WS Gaura 'The Bride'

{{gwi:199144}}

H. Ida's Magic

{{gwi:417572}}

WS Echinacea

{{gwi:199152}}

H. New Falling Stars

{{gwi:417573}}

H. Oriental Ruby

{{gwi:417575}}

WS Gaura

{{gwi:199287}}

H. Respighi

{{gwi:417576}}

{{gwi:199149}}

H. Smokey Mountain Autumn

{{gwi:417577}}

WS Blackberry Lily

{{gwi:199151}}

H. Prairie Moonlight

{{gwi:417579}}

Comments (10)

• ladygladys
    12 years ago

Gorgeous daylilies! I really love the Cupid's Dart and Gaura!

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Hi Eileen, are you staying cool.Beautiful pictures as always,What hosta do you have in the background in the last picture?
    cAROL

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Beautiful.

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! The daylilies are gorgeous this year, I'm guessing thanks to all the snow last winter plus all the heavy rain this spring. I have lots more I just haven't found time to upload yet.

cAROL - the hosta behind the 'Prairie Moonlight' daylily is Dream Weaver, one of my all-time favorites. I should post a picture of my hosta bed north side of the garage--it has finally grown up this year to where it's tough to find an empty spot.

ladygladys - I'm really happy with the Cupid's dart & gaura too but I wish one was taller and the other shorter!! Both have an airy habit and sway in the slightest breath of wind.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Beautiful daylilies. I have many blooming in pots, waiting for cooler weather to make a daylily bed.

• northforker
    12 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful Eileen!!!! You have a green thumb and a golden index finger for snapping pictures!

I don't have as many fancy ones as you do, but the daylilies I have are having a banner year. Like you, I think they somehow liked all that snow.

I am a bit puzzled by my Rudbeckia (goldstrum, everywhere..) and coneflowers which seem to me to be blooming a few weeks early. I just hope they don't burn themselves out. I count on them provding color almost to the end of October.

• Cricket_Love
    12 years ago

I LOVE that hosta behind Prairie Moonlight!!!! What kind is she?

• Cricket_Love
    12 years ago

Oops! I see that just1morehosta already asked :) The guara is gorgeous! All of your plants are gorgeous. Love Ida's Magic, and love, love, love the blackberry lily.

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nan6161 - those "fancy" daylilies are the lowest price ones I could find on the list at Daylilies by the Pond. Sarah has some spectacular DLs that I'd love to plant but neither my wallet/budget nor my Yankee frugality stretches to $45 or more for a plant. Ida's Magic is one of my favorites but Oriental Ruby is the most incredibly deep ruby color, it almost hurts to look at it.

I was thinking the rudbeckia and Echinacea were early this year too but didn't keep good enough notes last year to be sure. Once they bloom, they're usually good until almost frost so I'm enjoying them even so.

Cricket_Love - the blackberry lily is actually planted in my next door neighbor's south foundation bed. I put things in her bed that need full sun since I don't get much of that in my garden. She's a busy working mom and (so far) just enjoys whatever I plant.

• ladygladys
    12 years ago

Eileen, how long does the blackberry lily take to bloom from seed? I have a couple from a swap and was thinking of either wintersowing or summer sowing this year.

How big are the flowers on the gaura plant?

Thanks in advance,
    Gladys

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?