The red zinnia here is "red cap" . This is all one zinnia

{{gwi:419737}}

Some balsam

{{gwi:419738}}

Just a sample of zinnia hageaana

{{gwi:419739}}

{{gwi:419740}}

{{gwi:419741}}

Last, tomatoes, but they were started inside. (BTW, I had home grown tomato for breakfast)

{{gwi:419742}}

Wintersown toms. They have green fruit

{{gwi:419743}}

Toms started inside (I had homegrown toms for breakfast today)

{{gwi:419744}}

Karen

Comments (14)

• drippy
    14 years ago

I like it! Too much space in a garden is never a good thing, IMO. Might as well make it so the weeds don't have a chance!

• v1rt
    14 years ago

I'm very very jealous with your castor beans! Tell me your secrets. My tallest castor beans is only 14 inches tall even if I direct sowed them May 8 on a full sun location.

Very nice flowers!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

I like it too. I was looking at where the plants were stuffed today and realized there are more blooms in those areas than where you can see the soil, and as Drippy says, there certainly is a lot less weeds!

Your Balsam is nice. Mine are still just small but the heat is coming so I expect thm to start moving big time. :O)

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

You have some really nice plants going there, especially the amarinth, balsam, other really nice things ESPECIALLY your Cherry Brandy lol. Castor beans I could do without, also if it were mine would get rid of those petunias, but they aren't as much a problem as the Rudbeckia, well they can be if they self seed. I'd thin the Rud out more and try to get some more variety there.

Mine is like yours, huge blooms, and will need dividing in the spring, so far in check and will pull any that self seed.

Otherwise it looks GREAT, and the problems you mention, some I wouldn't know if you hadn't explained. Same with my stuff; other people going by don't see what I see and have to deal with.

• northforker
    14 years ago

Dear Karen,

Looks wonderful as always! That storm where you posted the flatten plant pics didn't set you back at all. Everything looks healthy and happy.

Tell me about the zinnia hageaana... I don't think I've ever seen those and, of course, I want them!!!!!!!!!! Can't tell from the pic, are they small and fiesty and bushy like profusions or taller? I love the bi-color and that they are all different bicolors! Do tell.........

Nancy

• laura_in_cinti
    14 years ago

Everything looks great! So lush and healthy.

The pic of the coneflowers and ruds is gorgeous! And I really like the zinnia hageaana and the castor beans too. How big will your castor bean plants get?

Laura

• friesfan1
    14 years ago

Karen,
    Everything is just gorgeous! I love your zinnia hageaana.
    Will put that on my list for next season.

The amaranth. I really like the leaves. What variety is it?
    Gotta get me some!

Mary

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings with my suggestions, wouldn't want to do that for the world. I didn't notice your prairie sun are doubles. Lucky you! So maybe I wouldn't want to thin them out and move the coneflower or something.

Trust me, if you saw my place, you'd have plenty of suggestions for me. I don't allow enough room for my plants because I simply don't have it and tend to cram things too close together.

Plus I didn't know some would grow so thick so fast.

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Lovely pictures, I like that Laura Bush Petunia a lot.

T

• token28001
    14 years ago

I love those Irish Eyes. I like when plants fill empty spaces. It hurts to remove things that are taking up too much space though. At this time of year, you really can't move them, just toss them out. You've done a great job.

Hey, save me some of those Laura Bush seeds, would ya?

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Gorgeous gardens. I love the colors and the health of everything. That laura bush petunia is wonderful.

• PVick
    14 years ago

It all looks so green and healthy, Karen! Gorgeous! That first pic of the ruds and coneflowers - that is a look to die for!

How'd your Yvonne's Salvia fare this year - they did suffer some storm damage, right?

PV

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Beautiful, even the overgrown beds. You are the only one who knows that some plants were hidden by others. We just see the beauty that is there.

I have some seeds of Laura Bush that I will plant next spring and see that I need to give them lots of room.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

drippy: You wouldn't believe the weeds below the "canopy" of flowers. I'm still finding verbena bonariensis- some 2 or 3 feet tall- in there. And rudbeckia, emilia, salvia, petunias, all kinds of volunteers, plus weeds.

The castor beans are dwarf, supposed to grow to 4 ro 6 feet. The same seeds planted in the front yard are only a foot tall. I guess they don't like that spot.

Nan: I've had to stake a lot of stuff since the storms, and they look dumb and unnatural now. And one Yvonne's salvia is pretty pathetic too.

The amaranths are the poinsettia type, tricolor.

aliska: Suggestions are always welcome. The ruds are offspring of Prarie Sun, grown near Irish Eyes and others, which produced doubles. I continue to harvest those double's seeds, more than half are doubles.

Token: I hate to admit it, but I'm awful at saving seeds. I just hate it. Every aspect of it. I sometimes prefer to just buy new ones. I will try to get some though most fall before I get around to it.

PV: The Yvonne's salvia is holding it's own. Started under lights this year, it has bloomed a lot but isn't growing much. More sunny weather would help the cause. The one blown apart by the storm is trying, it's the third from the right. There's no back half of the plant...
    {{gwi:419745}}

Other side of yard- where it looks like a hole in the hedge, one was blown over. I staked it and it looks healthy enough, just not putting on much growth
    {{gwi:419746}}

Next years plan: same amount of space, half the number of plants

Karen