Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

poppy id

proudgm_03
11 years ago

These came up in the dump bed. Anyone know what kind they are?

{{gwi:419792}}

Comments (6)

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

Looks like red fringed poppy, aka laciniatum.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Papaver somniferum Laciniatum Group. One of the many versions of P somniferum.

• leila hamaya
    11 years ago

i'm not always good for proper id of names (learning), but this one i know as one of the stronger *medicinal* varieties. the "pompom one" ha....yeah thats what i call that one. the red medicinal pompom one.

just googled though, and totally Laciniatum- like these smart peoples said. =)

i dont grow them for medicine, but i have some more common somniferum i grow for edible seeds...as well as bread seed poppy. you can use those for that....
    even though i feel like i could be on thin ice with this:
    the whole medicinal thing with poppies is weird and political. its unfortunate because i think its an extremely valuable plant when used in a proper way and context, and is an ancient medicine and food plant. so respectfully used, i think its highly valuable effective medicine plant, as well as food.

anywho thought you should know that.
    many people grow medicinal poppies without knowing, and its considered ok to grow them in small quantities, for flowers and seeds, though theres a lot of heavy (global) politics surrounding this unfortunately.

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

I ID'd this poppy just about a week ago. A friend from up north brought me a gift of seeds a few years ago and I got around to sowing them only this year. They were mostly the regular somniferum, but there were two plants of the red like yours, and two plants of the pink. I rather like them, and have them marked for seed collection.

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I try to put the tag where I dump stuff but there wasn't one around this one. They got to about 4 1/2 feet tall. I've never seen poppies this tall. I like the fringed look. I collected seed. If they come back next year I will move them to the real bed. These and the orange poppies are the only ones I have been able to grow.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

P somniferum crosses a lot, so there's no guarantee seed from one type will come true although it's always worth a shot. This year I have a lot of P somniferum Laciniatum, just like the ones in the picture, as well as some lilac ones. Last year no double reds, only singles and mauve ones. They self seed every year and I never know what I'll get.

Sponsored