Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swamp milkweed beetle

Posted by wendy2shoes z6 S ON (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 19:08

For two years now they have been decimating my wintersown swamp milkweed. One good thing about the last nasty winter is they didn't survive it! Whether they were eggs or pupa, they are gone! (Like my rhododendron), but that's another story!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swamp milkweed beetle

Hi Wendy: So sorry to hear about your infestation. We have not seen this beetle around here but I'll be on the lookout for it. I treat all beetles etc. the same way. It seems to me they all pupate in the earth, so in early spring I cover the area around the plants with plastic. That way, when they emerge they are trapped under the plastic and scorching sun and they are done. I use it to control red lily beetles, cucumber beetles, and weevils. You can hand-pick the ones that survive. I haven't sprung for a rhodo. yet. The ones that are hardy in this zone are relatively new, so I'll see how they do. What a shame to lose yours!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here