Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

Wanna see what's bloomin'?

gardenweed_z6a
12 years ago

I started to post this on the New England forum but since many of the blooms were winter sown, I figured this was the right place instead. It's July, and the New England landscape is green, lush and blooming beautiful colors and flower forms us locals wait all year to see. I guess if they bloomed year-round we wouldn't think them so special. Anyway, here are a few pictures of what's lighting up the landscape currently.

Here's to the red, white & blue!!!

{{gwi:420469}}

Linum perenne/blue flax...flowers are tiny

{{gwi:420470}}

{{gwi:416623}}

{{gwi:420473}}

Rudbeckia 'Irish Eyes' bloomed 2nd year from seed

{{gwi:197266}}

WS Connecticut Yankee delphinium bloomed 2nd year from seed

{{gwi:420476}}

{{gwi:420478}}

{{gwi:420481}}

WS Adenophora/ladybells

{{gwi:420484}}

Lollipop lily - beetles don't like this one!

{{gwi:420487}}

{{gwi:420490}}

{{gwi:420492}}

{{gwi:420494}}

WS Catananche/Cupid's dart

{{gwi:420496}}

WS Maltese Cross

{{gwi:420498}}

WS Rose campion

Comments (13)

• dorothy4981
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing the eye candy!

Happy 4th

Dorothy (Meadows)

• adamark
    12 years ago

Happy 4th! Beautifull pics. Hope, everyone had a great time. Here is my red/white and blue

{{gwi:350961}}

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures! Happy 4th of July!

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:254736}}

{{gwi:420508}}

{{gwi:420511}}

{{gwi:420514}}

{{gwi:420517}}

{{gwi:420520}}

{{gwi:254732}}

{{gwi:420523}}

{{gwi:254734}}

{{gwi:420528}}

{{gwi:420531}}

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Wonder photos of your beautiful flowers.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Beautiful, I'm jealous of those gorgeous blue hydrangeas. My soil is alkaline and I get pink hydrangeas. I tried once to amend the soil and those 2 plants, about 5 years later, are still producing weird purple blossoms.

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks mnwsgal & Karen - those hydrangeas were a gift from the neighbor next door--ladies of the RC church sent him home one day a few years ago with a dozen pots. He told me to take as many as I wanted. I took five and since I have acid soil (just a wild guess since blueberries love it here) wasn't surprised they bloom blue. Blue just happens to be my fav color and I tend to plant things that bloom blue or purple.

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Great pictures, Gardenweed!!! I especially love the Rudbeckias. What type of Rudbeckia is that in the first photo of your second batch of pics? I moved my 'Irish Eyes' in the fall, since it was too tall for the spot I had it in, and this year half the eyes are green, and half are brown.

• proudgm_03
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos everyone. Thanks for sharing.

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

highalt - the rudbeckia is 'Autumn Colors' from seeds Token sent to me as a newbie. I especially love those mahogany colored ones but they bloom in bronze & yellow too. I WS Cherokee Sunset, Indian Summer, Cherry Brandy, Cappucino & Double Gold this year from seed trades that I expect will really light up the garden next year.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Gardenweed..what is your opinion of the blue flax? I WS them and thought they were so delicate and pretty color but they need to be between other plants. Their blooms were so delicate and only lasted maybe a day or less and they need to be among other plants for support,not by themselves as mine was. I pulled mine up. I have seeds for the Cherry Brandy that I ordered when T&M had their sale last summer but have never planted them. I did WS a Double Gold rudbeckia plant and it's fast growing so far.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures everyone!

Gardenweed,I just love the ladybells, maltese cross and the white flowers in the first picture! Such a wonderful time with all the different flowers blooming, whether they're WS or non-WS. Happy gardening to all!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pippi21 - the blue flax was a little disappointing at first--the foliage is so very delicate and the flowers only about 1/4" in diameter but I do like the color. I had potted up my WS containers but ended up mooshing them all together in just two pots because you really need lots of them for them to be noticeable. I think you're right about planting them between other plants for the support but haven't decided yet where I want them. I might plant them with Cupid's dart--they're the same blue and almost the same height and would likely make a nice combination.

Brad - I love the ladybells too but in full sun they got as tall as I am which I wasn't expecting. In part shade they get about 3-4 ft. tall. I've heard they self-seed so I'll be on the lookout next year. The white flowers in the first picture (with the red Maltese cross) are astilbe.

Sponsored
St. Mary's Trusted Landscape Construction & Maintenance