Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamagnome

41 qt underbed storage bin for winter sowing?

mamagnome
11 years ago

So, I can't have a million milk jugs where our garden is (10-15 mins away) I think I could have a few of these larger containers & not have to worry about them blowing away etc. Plus, I use my jugs for fertilizer tea & watering wells. These 41 qt underbed containers are on sale right now so I would like to grab a few while they are cheap. I can drill holes & have them forever. They do not have clear lids...the ad has the lids as pink blue or gray. IF these would be acceptable to use...what would you suggest I put over them as a lid? What came to mind was some sort of hoop house plastic with holes poked through. I know I know, I should reuse but in this situation I just can't have the ocean of jugs & bottles. I've never winter sown & really want at least some success my first time. Thanks in advance, grasshopper wants to learn :)

Jen

Comments (9)

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

When I was starting winter sowing for the first time, I used old seed that I had around, and looked around for containers that I could re-use. I would not make an investment in something that I may not continue. The lids need to be fairly clear so sunlight can get through, and the hoop house plastic is a solution. You also have to think of what you would use to make partitions in the bins...I do not suppose that you would be planting an entire bin of one plant. Then at planting out time, will you need to lug the whole bin, full of soil and seedlings, to your garden? Picture that. Why not use the jugs and place them in the bin for neatness and stability. I myself use 2 litre plastic bottles and put them out in trays built for me by a neighbour. I think you need to think this through further. Good Luck!!

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

I use the clear plastic bins for starting my peas and corn. I fill them with newspaper pots, sow a seed in each, then plant out the entire paper pot when the plants are big enough. I use a soldering iron to make holes in the bottom and top because a drill shatters the plastic sometimes. The plastic does break down after a couple of years.

• ohiovalleygardener
    11 years ago

Several years ago I did use a couple of these. I also put holes in the bottom. Lined the inside with styrofoam cups with my potting mix and seeds. Went to my local Dollar Tree store and bought a large clear plastic drop cloth. Cut it to the right size and used duct tape to secure it around the sides. Put some holes in the plastic and it all worked well together.

• trudi_d
    11 years ago

I've used kiddie pools for WSing, put in soil at least eight inches deep and didn't bother to cover as there was enough soil mass that it wouldn't dry out quickly.

• magnoliaroad
    11 years ago

For my first few years of WS, I recycled containers for salad, produce, and so on, and then spent hours attempting to retrieve them after our hurricane force winds dispersed them down the mountainside. I doubt that I found them all. Rather than continuing to trash the environment with the recyclables, I made a one-time purchase of four underbed storage units which have worked great. It's true that they become brittle with time, as do recyclables, but a WS container need not be fully airtight or watertight.

• mamagnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing everyone!! I am going to go for it :) Thanks for reminding me about how they break down :) duh

Northener-I have thought about this all summer & will continue to think until it is time to sow. This was an idea of mine & they came up on sale so why not? I would use them for other gardening projects if I decide not to winter sow in the future so that is not a concern of mine. and marking/labeling wouldn't be an issue either. The lugging is manageable, and we can stack them with the lids to transport which would probably work out better than jugs & bottles in our situation. lol, your concerns are things I really have thought about. Thank you for mentioning them.

Trudi- I would love not to have to put a lid on at all!! but I don't think I can get 8 inches of soil in these. could I with 6 inches or so?

magnoliaroad- do you use lids that came with them or something else?

LOVE this site, can't thank everyone enough

• magnoliaroad
    11 years ago

The underbed storage units came with lids into which DH drilled holes. They are about six inches deep, which allows room for potting mix plus head room for sprouts.

• october17
    11 years ago

I've been using them for a few years now. When not in use I store in garage. There are holes drilled in top and bottom. I use peat pots - the larger ones for tomatoes. It works really well. I don't have mine in the sun for very long. Once the seedlings are ready for all day sun, in they go. I snip the fabric from around the peat pots. Most of my stuff goes into whiskey barrels, very little goes in the ground so far. Except for veggies that is.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor