Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelycherry

OT Clematis jackamanii

lovelycherry
16 years ago

Hi Stop and shop has them on the discount rack $5.00 per vine.

Any advice.. should I buy it or leave them?

I have no southerly exposure my house is east west.

Thanks, cherry

Comments (8)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Cherry,

Want it? Buy it! Good price for Clematis.

Three years ago I saw some Clematis on sale at the end of the year for $5.00 each. Didn't have any. Cell phone rang and during the conversation with DH, I told him about the Clematis. He jokingly said, "Buy them all! The whole lot of them!" I came home with 8 Clematis.

My best growers are on the Northeast side and the Northwest sides of the house. I don't baby them except to mulch with compost at the start of the season when I give them a trim - that's if I give them a trim. Sometimes I'm just too lazy. :O)

Here's Claire De Lune. It blooms to dinner plate size and as the flower matures, it turns pure white. It's Northwest and gets barely any sun - evening at most.

{{gwi:420714}}

{{gwi:420715}}

Here's Josephine on the Northeast.
    {{gwi:420716}}

I do have Blue Boy facing Southeast. This is the first year it has performed with a 'WOW' factor. Worth the wait.
    {{gwi:420717}}

{{gwi:420718}}

Ville De Lyon is starting to bloom on the Northeast as well and in two weeks the lattice will be covered in blooms to the point you will not see any foliage. I have to cut that one back since it wants to take over the veranda.
    {{gwi:194183}}

Not bad for $5.00 each, eh?? Go for it!

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

I have 14 Clematis in my yard with every exposure possible and all bloom for me. I simply cannot pass up clearance clematis - go for it.....

Lynne

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

and Tiffy - yours are simple gorgeous - love that last one Ville De Lyon....

Lynne

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Yes, buy them all. Worth every penny. I have a tiny yard ...34f x 125f, house and garage included. I have 35 including a Sweet Autunm that is taking down the fence. lol.

My favorite is 'Betty Corning'. It blooms all summer long and has a delicate scent. I planted it by my side door so I can sniff at the flowers on my way in and out of the house:
    {{gwi:420719}}

• PVick
    16 years ago

I love clematis! Have three "oldsters" - 'Jackmanii', 'The President' and 'Sweet Autumn' - and one newbie , 'Mme. Julia Correvon' (got her a month ago). In pots, in a southern exposure - they get morning sun until maybe 11ish. For the past years, I've had the oldsters wind around trellises in their individual pots and they did very well; this was the first year I put all three on the railing trellis and they bloomed like mad! 'Sweet Autumn' hasn't bloomed yet, but I'm expecting that she'll do really well. Right now, I have 'Mme. Julia Correvon' in practically full shade; she's growing and actually has a few small flower buds! I find them really easy to grow.

And they were all $5.00 specials too - except for 'The President', which was FREE!

So, yeah, go for it!

PV

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Done bought two today.
    I missed the best ones by a few minutes, two other shoppers had 3-4 in their carts already.

Dug my holes in the hard clay soil amended it with some topsoil and some garden soil. Watered well and now wait.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    I even moved some hosta around the roots to keep them cool.
    Cherry..

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

lovelycherry, I have over 15 clematis in all kinds of light exposure. Like lynnencfan, I can not resist. (Reistance is futile...) I've also found them easy to grow giving them a bit of fertilizer in the spring and keeping the roots well mulched. Most are type 3 pruning clematis. In our area it is important to plant them deep.

tiffy, love all your photos and I don't have any of those varieties. LOL, maybe I can find places for some more. I made a couple of twig teepees and like your's also. Do you make a rough ladder shape then add smaller twigs in the center? Do they stay upright on their own by just pushing the ends in the ground?

pvick, you will love 'Mme. Julia Correvon'. Mine starts blooming in June and blooms until frost. A great plant.

I am partial to Sweet Autumn since it has such a wonderful scent. Here it blooms late September/early October. It is a very vigorous vine covering the arbor over my two large compost bins.

Have you seen Recta? It is similar to Sweet Autumn, though unscented, but a much shorter vine and blooms in the spring/summer. I have mine with Rouge Cardinal. The tiny white blossoms of Recta with the deep wine/red large RC blossoms is lovely.

pitimpinai, that's a beautiful photo of Betty Corning. Makes me happy that I planted Betty Corning this spring. It is in a pot with deep purple wave petunias but hasn't bloomed yet. It may need a sunnier location. I have not grown clematis in pots so maybe there's a technique that I need to learn to get blossoms. Looking forward to that delicate scent.

Bobbie

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Good suggestions for future potentials! Sometimes we tend to concentrate on the negatives we hear about plants and I had always been told that unless the clematis was in just the right spot, then it would never be happy. From trying them out, the only wrong spot for a clematis is one where the soil is bone dry for most of the growing year.

Bobbie,
    Those are branches from white birches and maples which came down during a hurricane (we only get hurricanes once every 100 years) in 2003. DH just took them, and like you said, built ladders and then put twigs here and there.

They are up against the house so they are secured to it. The one holding the Claire De Lune is also holding a Hagley Hybrid (it blooms right after the CDL) and in the pic, you can't see it, but at the top is the deck with more railing so by the end of the season, they are both up there and CDL shows off it's blooms again in September. I wish I could find more like the CDL. It blooms on old and new wood!

Sponsored