Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

Wintersown Flowers Not Growing

The wintersown flowers that I planted out this spring have been just sitting there all summer. None have grown taller than 6 inches. They are still green, but just look stalled out. Is it the dryness, or is it having been shoehorned into an already crowded flowerbed? Can I expect them to take off next year, or should I dig them up this fall and plant them somewhere else for a year to get big enough to fight it out with the already established plants?

Comments (10)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

Which plants are you referring to? We need more info.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Agastache (blue bottlebrush type), foxglove, salvia azure, columbine. Thanks.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Most likely, those plants are sending down their roots this year, and next year will grow nice and big and may or should flower for you. Many perennials/biennials are like that.

Karen

• dorisl
    12 years ago

Yep, next year they'll bloom like crazy! The salvia azurea may also bloom a little bit, they bloom late.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

lois - some of my WS penstemon & columbine haven't grown more than an inch or two of top growth but after seeing the plants I grew last year via WS bloom beautifully this year, I know they're putting their energy into growing strong root systems. I'm sure you'll have gorgeous flowers on those plants next year. Keep that old sleep/creep/leap rule about perennials in mind.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol, I thought sleep creep leap just applied to vines. Thanks so much for the encouragement and hopefully I will have some great pictures to share next year!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Here's a little extra encouragement--these are a few things I WS in 2010 that (other than the gaura) didn't bloom until this year:

Catananche/Cupid's dart
    {{gwi:421167}}

Lychnis coronaria/rose campion
    {{gwi:420504}}

Gaura lindheimeri/wand flower
    {{gwi:199144}}

Belamcanda chinensis/blackberry lily
    {{gwi:199151}}

Verbascum/mullein 'Milkshake'
    {{gwi:199161}}

Catananche/Cupid's dart
    {{gwi:199149}}

Echinacea purpurea/coneflower
    {{gwi:199152}}

Rudbeckia hirta/gloriosa daisy 'Irish Eyes'
    {{gwi:197266}}

Gaillardia aristata/blanket flower
    {{gwi:420531}}

Penstemon 'Mystica'
    {{gwi:199167}}

Catananche/Cupid's dart
    {{gwi:421174}}

Lychnis chalcedonica/Maltese cross
    {{gwi:420498}}

{{gwi:199287}}

Adenophora pereskiifolia/ladybells
    {{gwi:420484}}

Penstemon 'Mystica'
    {{gwi:196352}}

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Keep the faith! After planting many perennials last year and only getting foliage, my garden exploded this year. Next year it will be even better with the new perennial bed I WS'd this year.

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

Everything in my garden seems to be suffering. We have broken records for heat during the month of July and the same is expected for August. Everything is late and all the blooms are small. The grass is parched, the soil is cracking and no amount of watering seems to help. We've had lots of strange, sudden, violent thunder storms, but those downpours are followed by such heat they instantly evaporate. I haven't had a tomato yet. It's very disappointing.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pictures and the encouragement! Here is what the poor dry garden looks like now... Everything you can see right now was non-wintersown. The wintersown plants are tucked between all the bigger plants. You can see my lovely brown lawn in the background... At least we don't have to mow!

{{gwi:421178}}

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert